“Brilliant holiday + fitness kick-starter”

Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
Ranked #57 of 100 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Don't think I've ever worked out so hard in my life and had such fun at the same time. The setting is beautiful and the hotel done out to blend in with the local surroundings. It's not bells and whistles but it is what you want in Tulum - eco chic to fit in with the ethos of the place. The activities are a real mixture so you don't get bored. The meals are good (you don't go hungry at all) and low fat. The tours included are also great - cycling past the jungles, the beach and the sea views was magical. Everyone is so chilled out and friendly on the bootcamp even though they're working out hard; would love to go back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Amansala over The New Year. I loved it. However I think people need proper expectations. When you read the bad reviews, they are right. When you read the good reviews, they are right. About 1/2 way through my stay I got it. In order to have the laid back and relaxing time I had, the staff has to be really really laid back. At times it seems unorganized, but I soon understood I was on Tulum time. Once I got that I was able to let go and go with it. I thought the good was great. I loved how healthy it was and the portion control. If you want more you can ask. They also have fruit smoothies available if you want a healthy snack. The place is rustic as is much of Tulum. This is not a luxury resort. The power might go out, but that's because it is solar powered. When we arrived there was a delay getting our towels, but that was because they send out their laundry and the company that thy use was delayed bringing them back, Tulum time. I think that's part of the charm. It's also a great opportunity for people who like structure to get out of their comfort zone. I loved the classes. The trainers were great. Fun and knowledgable. Josh was amazing at not only training, but also as a tour guide. The people I met where mostly women. All so nice and interesting. I enjoyed the communal meals. It was a great way to get to know people. Great vacation. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank lolagranola2589
Reviewed January 18, 2013

If I were to imagine the most amazing vacation on my own I don't think I could do as good a job as they do at the Bikini Boot Camp program at Amansala. I will go back soon!

The food is wonderful, beds are comfy, right on the beach!!! The trainers are so inspirational and fit. They totally customize to what you can handle and if you can handle more they PUSH you. Thanks Josh and Kate! You kicked my but and I loved every second of it.

Somehow they fit in 4-6 hours of work out, wonderful food, time for relaxing on the beach, massage and trips off resort to ruins and cenotes. It's a great value, totally packed with great stuff to do as well as some relaxation and the people you meet are fantastic.

I say go do it; you won't regret it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Estawarshofsky
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at Amansala in November 2012. When I first arrived I was comfortable immediately travelling alone. The lay-out the accommodations, the staff, the owner make you feel like you belong. It was completely different that the big resorts I've been too at Playa or Riviera.

I didn't have any expectations as I have travelled to Mexico many times, but this experience was unique. My days were filled with fun classes, a gorgeous beach, and the freedom to visit Tulum and feel safe.

The food was very tasty, healthy, and it was a bonus that we even had a class to make some of there delicious meals.

I returned home, relaxed, recharged, and looking forward to another stay at Amansala.

Thank you to Melissa, and especially all the staff who accommodated me and made me feel welcomed.

Room Tip: There is no AC but you don't need it because of the constant breeze. Treat yourself and stay at...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Mirella B
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I just returned from Bikini Bootcamp at Amansala a week ago. We were there from 12/30 - 1/6. It was the best way to kick off the new year. I loved it! If you're looking for an opportunity to jumpstart your fitness, eat healthy, get inspired, be on the beach in a beautiful setting, and be surrounded by like-minded people, this is perfect. You can make this trip whatever you want - you can take advantage of all of the fitness and exercise for 4 hours a day or you could lie on the beach all day. We exercised for 3-4 hours a day, but still felt like we had enough downtime on the beach. I went on 2 of the 3 excursions to the Cenotes and they were awesome.
The Amansala decor is simple and stylish - love the beach beds and bright colors on the beach. The fitness instructors were the best I have ever taken classes from - I wish I could import them to San Francisco - Kiya, Josh, Kate, Jeff, Cole - all inspiring. The Chica property(part of Amansala) next door looks super nice and I might try to stay there next time - loved the yoga studio over there with the view!!!! A few other special aspects of this place are the 4 golden labs on the property as well as the special activities that Melissa creates, such as the clay mask. I will definitely be back and several of my friends want to go now too! Thank you Melissa for creating this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a beach/water view and/or at the Chica property.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank nkamerer
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Amansala twice during the low season a few months ago and practically had the entire place to ourselves. We had an incredible ocean view room (right on the beach) and enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. Even though we didn't participate in any classes or workshops, we had a wonderful time both weekends that we stayed there. We'll definitely be happy to stay there again if the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I just completed two weeks of bootcamp. Nov 2012.

The first week we were a big group of over 30 guests and the second week, a small group of 6 guests. Personally I prefer a bigger group, as there is more variety of people to hang out with.
All the women attending bootcamp were interesting, successful, professional women, looking for ways to treat themselves well and conquer the current stresses of life.

The bootcamp started with an hour beach walk / run followed by a circuit style class, either on the beach, or in the main classroom under the palapa roof.
This was followed by breakfast and often anther cardio class.
Some days we went on trips to local Mayan ruins, cenotes etc.
A delicious, healthy lunch was followed by beach /spa time.
Then we had one or two cardio classes such as Zumba, ballet, African dance, boxercise, body styling etc.
Each day we finished with a yoga class, vinyasa flow or hatha.

We had many different instructors and both weeks had different classes, to keep things mixed up.
Some people were more into the gym, running etc and so many of the dance classes took them out of their comfort zones. That's the great thing about bootcamp... moving out of that zone, trying something new and living moments of success.
Doing new things definitely shift things in your mind, as well as your body.

Tulum seems to attract many different people, with different fitness interests. Melissa uses the best of such people in Tulum to teach at bootcamp. This means not every week has the same classes or teachers. Nearly all of them are into using your own body weight as the way to improve your strength. This means you learn things you can take home with you!

The beach in Tulum is so totally stunning. Probably one of the best beaches in the world. You cannot help but to appreciate the here and now and the natural beauty. This makes the location of the bootcamp so special and helps you get through some of the tougher classes!

The Amansala is a cabana style hotel. I stayed in the main house. The beds are huge and comfortable. The bathrooms are also spacious. A safe is provided. There are no locks on the outside of the doors, which some people may not like. Downsides, lack of a laundry service, lack of place to hang up hand washed items (of which you will have many sweaty things to wash!), so nothing really serious. IMHO, any small faults you find in the hotel are outweighed by the location and the fun factor.

The restaurant provided a healthy, detox style menu for the week and you never felt hungry. Personally though, I had had enough zucchini after 2 weeks! The team know you are on holiday, so you can enjoy the margaritas, if you wish!! Perhaps a fruit snack would be useful when there are 3 afternoon classes... just to keep you going!

The weekly package includes 2 massages. These can be upgraded to a massage with Daniel the Mayan healer. Quite a strange but interesting experience. He doesn't speak much English, but the staff can help translate if necessary. I have seldom had a better back massage.

The staff were friendly, helpful and all very happy to be part of an active, healthy life style. Melissa and Darlene made everyone feel at home. Some trainers were unbelievably excellent, including Kiya, James, Josh, Jessie and Alessandra. I learned so much from them... most of all to trust myself, that I could always do a bit more than I thought!

The bootcamp does require a certain level of fitness, because most others doing it, do sport regularly. This doesn't mean you need to be super fit to keep up. It simply isn't for people who are totally inactive or people expecting a weightloss camp.

I don't know if I lost weight during the two weeks, but I do know I looked and felt completely different after bootcamp. My strength and fitness level improved enormously, as did my confidence. I also managed to de stress completely.

I had thought I would enjoy myself, but I hadn't counted on falling totally in love with the location and the activities. I will definitely come back again. Better than that, I will also keep doing many of the things I learned during my stay!

I would highly recommend bootcamp to anyone, male or female, who needs a break and to straighten out their head. You couldn't find a better place or activity to do it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo