“Awesome hotel in beautiful Tulum”

Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
Ranked #48 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome hotel in beautiful Tulum”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My family and I loved staying at Amansala in the spring of 2011 - set right on the beach, this is truly a special place. We had a 2 bedroom ocean view bungalow, which felt like a little family home; the rooms all had great little design touches and the bathroom was large enough not to feel cramped. Amansala was definitely a step above the other places we looked at, and the staff were all very helpful and polite without being overbearing. Great restaurant too....fish tacos, salads, smoothies, etc: all great. One last note: my wife loved the small clothing boutique at the front of the hotel and picked up a sexy inexpensive dress that wears all the time. Stay here...you wont regret it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank n9no

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hungarian first
Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I'm torn, there was good and bad, it depends if you'd feel the same. Overall, a good place if you want to be active, but not if you want to relax or nap in your room.

The good:
- location and beach are excellent
- architecture of all the buildings is absolutely beautiful and inspiring
- comfortable bed, good hot water and water pressure

The not good:
Room was in 'main house' and was very noisy.
- There was construction and a band saw running all day outside the room. When we complained to the front desk about the noise, they shrugged their shoulders and said it should end around 7pm.
- Noise from the main road was very audible
- There was some type of exercise studio on the floor above our room. Could clearly hear the Instructor's voice and music.
- The main house is directly down wind from the restaurant. Our room smelled strongly of food all afternoon until we closed the windows and it cleared up.
- The rooms in the main house have a space for a transum window above the door, but it was just empty space with mosquito netting - could easily hear the neighbors. Not good for romance.
- US$10 for 24hours of not great WIFI - no thanks

- The dogs: absolutely adored them, but yes, they did bark at night a bit.
- Was not informed of any classes or massage facilities by front desk, so didn't try them. Wish I was given more information and introduction to the offerings.
Wish the front desk people were more empowered to be better hosts, they didn't seem so in touch with guests (at least ours) comfort. When we were looking for aspirin, they looked through a basket and didn't find any and left it at that.
- I won't come back to stay, but I would visit the dogs.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank honjohito
missyglee, Manager at Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat, responded to this review, April 16, 2011
When we have Bikini Bootcamp the hotel is really dedicated to the camp....if we happen to have a room open, we rent them but usually they are the least desirable rooms as the camp is very popular. When someone comes in without a reservation they are shown the room before they decide to take it and yes, the room these guests decided to stay in is right under our main workout/yoga studio and is not one of our best rooms by any means...but it is inexpensive and compared to many other rooms in Tulum you still have electricity, nice sheets, nice showers and spacious bathrooms, a well maintained beach, good food on site but it is definitely not a good choice for anyone looking to relax or be romantic...these rooms are great for someone looking for a cheap clean room in Tulum. Regardless we are sorry this person did not have a relaxing holidayyand should they ever want to come back during a non camp week when we have better rooms open, we would be happy to upgrade them free of charge as we have beautiful beachfront cabanas without any of the issues they experienced in our back small rooms.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2011

This is definitely a beautiful place, but if you are looking for some quiet time alone or even a couple looking for romantic time you are probably better off staying at one of the many other tranquil places along the beach. This place is really set up for the Bikini Boot-campers, right down to the dining room which is portioned off into 2 giant tables, which leaves you to skirt the edges to find a possible spare seat for dinner and the gong (yes! gong!) that wakes you up at 7am. The owner can be abrasive (which is frankly not good when you're trying to relax!) If you stay there for the bikini bootcamp—good for you, it does seem like a fun time. But if you're just regular 'joe' looking for a tranquil, calm, escape, frankly—yeah, I would advise staying elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank dimityj
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I loved stayed at Amansala in April 2009. I went on a bikini bootcamp holiday. I can honestly say it was one of my best holidays ever and it really is a life changing place. Since Amansala, I have learnt so much about healthy living and wellness and I would really recommend Amansala as a place of wellness, taking time for yourself and rejuvenation.

I don't think I've ever slept so well, the food is superb, the staff very warm and friendly and the fitness classes are world class. A stay at Amansala really will change your life for the better. Go if you get the chance!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank susancoolgraney
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I stayed at Amansala early October with my friend and son. There are three friendly yellow labs,which welcomed my 6 year old son and made him happy immediately. Diego and all other employees were very hospitable and offered exceptional service. The rates were reasonable during this time of the year. The rooms are well detailed, clean, and beautiful. The food was delicious and the location was ideal. I would recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Adventurer082
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Amaising place which has exceeded all of my expectations.
People: very attentive and caring staff, work out instructors.
Programme: very well thought out requiring no effort from you to plan/think. Everything has been taken care for you. The workouts are very well thought out and organised. The fitness instructors are highly professional and push you to the limits. The programme also includes massages, visits to the cenotes, pyramids, town, etc. It is just a perfect combination of activities, sports, well-being.
Food: I could not believe healthy food could be so tasty even after 6 days! Everything is made fresh and is very flavourfull.
Ambiance: perfect place away from the spring break crowd.
Overal: I think the owner Melissa should try to take this model to other parts of the world. I look forward to my next vacation at the bikini bootcamp!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank idvizova
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This was absolutely beautiful. I went for the "bikini bootcamp" and LOVED it. We did aproximately 5 hours of exercise a day and had healthy wonderful meals served to us in a group setting. The staff is one of the best parts of this place - very friendly, smart, accommodating. Our beach front room was wonderful. There was a nice breeze all the time and we did not have any bugs/mosquitos like we thought we might. I HIGHLY recommend and hope to return SOON!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family