Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
$499
Piedra Escondida(Tulum)
$182
Travelocity
La Posada Del Sol(Tulum)(Great Value!)
$250
Hotels.com
$180
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Posada Luna del Sur(Tulum)(Great Value!)
$90
Uolis Nah(Tulum)(Great Value!)
$44
Hotel Diamante K(Tulum)(Great Value!)
$184
$153
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbikini boot campbikini bootcampcircuit trainingfitness classesdance classesbike rideshealthy foodlife changingeat healthyamazing yogayoga instructorspa treatmentsfour seasonsinteresting peoplea great weekbeautiful beachmayan ruins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I loved stayed at Amansala in April 2009. I went on a bikini bootcamp holiday. I can honestly say it was one of my best holidays ever and it really is a life changing place. Since Amansala, I have learnt so much about healthy living and wellness and I would really recommend Amansala as a place of wellness, taking time for yourself and rejuvenation.

I don't think I've ever slept so well, the food is superb, the staff very warm and friendly and the fitness classes are world class. A stay at Amansala really will change your life for the better. Go if you get the chance!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank susancoolgraney
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I stayed at Amansala early October with my friend and son. There are three friendly yellow labs,which welcomed my 6 year old son and made him happy immediately. Diego and all other employees were very hospitable and offered exceptional service. The rates were reasonable during this time of the year. The rooms are well detailed, clean, and beautiful. The food was delicious and the location was ideal. I would recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Adventurer082
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Amaising place which has exceeded all of my expectations.
People: very attentive and caring staff, work out instructors.
Programme: very well thought out requiring no effort from you to plan/think. Everything has been taken care for you. The workouts are very well thought out and organised. The fitness instructors are highly professional and push you to the limits. The programme also includes massages, visits to the cenotes, pyramids, town, etc. It is just a perfect combination of activities, sports, well-being.
Food: I could not believe healthy food could be so tasty even after 6 days! Everything is made fresh and is very flavourfull.
Ambiance: perfect place away from the spring break crowd.
Overal: I think the owner Melissa should try to take this model to other parts of the world. I look forward to my next vacation at the bikini bootcamp!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank idvizova
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This was absolutely beautiful. I went for the "bikini bootcamp" and LOVED it. We did aproximately 5 hours of exercise a day and had healthy wonderful meals served to us in a group setting. The staff is one of the best parts of this place - very friendly, smart, accommodating. Our beach front room was wonderful. There was a nice breeze all the time and we did not have any bugs/mosquitos like we thought we might. I HIGHLY recommend and hope to return SOON!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2010

This place is incredible for the fact that nothing advertised on its website is correct. Amansala (also called Casa de Miel) is described as "rustic luxury" and "chic" with "light, airy, spacious & beautifully styled" rooms.

There's nothing luxurious, chic, light or beautifully styled about the rooms. My husband and I stayed in their deluxe beachfront room, which cost over $200 per night. Our room was horrendous! It was dark (there was a small light in the main area and another light in the bathroom area - basically you couldn't read a book unless you stood right under the light in the bathroom), dingy (the mosquito net was stained, the sheets had a small hole, the shower curtain was ratty, the towels were frayed and very thin, one of the window screens was torn along the sides, and the toilet always had yellowish brown water) and very hot (there was no fan and even though we were in a beachfront room and kept all the windows open there was no breeze in the room). Our friends stayed in smaller and less expensive rooms (~$150 per night), which weren't as dark since there was an exposed light bulb hanging from the ceiling. But overall the quality of the rooms are very similar.

The resort also claims to be eco-friendly but I'm not sure how valid this is. They do have a policy of not washing guest towels or sheets on a regular basis and did not do so for the duration of our stay, which was for 3 nights. I didn’t see any solar panels, recycling bins or other typical eco related things. I do have to admit that we never asked the owner or the receptionist about Casa del Miel's eco compliant policies. We had enough discussions with them about the misleading quality of the rooms and just didn't want to engage in another conversation - at some point we just wanted to make the most of our vacation. Another reviewer mentioned that they had a bad experience with the owner and her sidekicks and we have to agree that they were difficult to deal with and totally unaccommodating.

Also beware of booking a diving trip through Amansala. The dive shop that they arranged to take us on a cenotes dive was terrible. They had old equipment, tried to put us in BCDs that were too big and gave us regulators that malfunctioned during the dive.

The only redeeming quality about this hotel is some of the staff (but definitely not the owner or receptionist). They were nice and really tried to be helpful with recommendations for restaurants and ruins.

Unfortunately, since we paid for our stay at Amansala before our arrival we were at their mercy. Our friends didn't pay beforehand but were pressured as soon as they arrived to pay the full amount in cash (they don't take credit cards). Their policy serves them very well since once you pay up you basically only have the option to stay or cut your losses and find another place.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
18  Thank Mohito-Petron
amansala, manager at Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

We normally do not respond to guests reviews but feel compelled to respond to say the experience of this person is not the experience of everyone else who stays with us. We have beautiful rooms with reading lights behind the beds, with beautiful mosquito nets selected with care. When the towels start to fray or sheets are worn or torn, we take them out of circulation, possibly they got the last use out of a towel and a sheet as after reading this we have gone through our inventory to make sure it does not happen to anyone elsel

The toilet does have a brownish color in some of the rooms which we explain at check is is due to it coming from an underground well...the shower water and sink water we buy from a purified water supplier and have it trucked in to fill our water tanks to ensure our guests do not shower with salty water as many of the hotels in the area have but find it very wasteful to buy water for flushing.

We change the sheets every 3 days or upon request by having the guests put a sheet on the floor as an indication that they would like theirs changed sooner. We run on solar panels which are up on our roof, we separate our trash and have a compost that we use for our garden and actually host for the community related to the above.

We require payment in advance as we are very small and normally run at a very high occupancy.We also give our guests the opton of paying one night deposit and the balance upon arrival. If someone checks into a room, likes it and asks for us not to rent it to anyone else for the days they will be staying with us, we do ask for payment.

I remember this particular client and they prebooked for a room, received one of our best rooms, and their friends without a reservation paid less arriving with no reservation. They found this unfair although their friends room was not even half the size, was not beachfront, had no dressing area and was in a completely different category. After many conversations of why they felt it was unfair to pay $7o more than their friends, we discounted their room as well in the hopes they would setlle in and enjoy their vacation.

We do our best to ensure our guests have a positive experience and regret these particular guests did not, but just felt it necessary to address their review as it is not the norm. Our business has been built on repeat business and a lot of word of mouth for a reason and genuinely feel bad if someone goes home unhappy.