1,333 results
All reviews salsa night plunge pool sugar cane salsa party balcony suite salsa dancing beautiful beach beach side ceviche beach beds beach bar sister hotel turn down service tulum beach palm trees amazing hotel our honeymoon
Selected filters
Reviewed August 25, 2015

Stayed with my hubby in Cabana #6 - beachside King. The room was very comfortable with a nice garden view, AC and a mini fridge. The shower had great pressure and plenty of hot water. The bed and linens were comfortable and the room was very quiet. They offer a coffee bar for those of us who are early risers and want our morning java before they open for breakfast. They advertise that they only have Wifi in the hotel and restaurant, but we had a strong signal in our room as well.

The sargassum situation in Tulum is very sad right now, but LZ did a great job keeping the beach clean - which I think keeps the water cleaner too (not washing weed in and out all the time with the tides).

LZ staff is fantastic! Everyone is very friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Service was great, food was very tasty (traditional shrimp ceviche was the best we've ever had) and the wait and hotel staff was awesome.

This was our first time staying at a Tulum hotel (we usually rent houses there), but I wouldn't hesitate to stay with LZ again.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
LaZebraManager, Gerente at La Zebra Hotel Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2015

Hello Sherm,

Thank you so much for this great review, you payed attention to every detail I'm happy that you enjoyed your time here at La Zebra. We would live to have you back anytime.

Saludos

Reviewed August 25, 2015

We were so impressed with La Zebra from the moment we arrived. The service was exceptional and the welcome mojito after hours of planes/trains/autombiles snapped everyone out of a deliriously sleepy state. We stayed in one of the more modern rooms, which was spacious (even with three people) and had two balconies. If you're staying in the summer, I'd recommend springing for a room that has a plunge pool -- we regretted not choosing this option immediately, especially after realizing the ocean situation (see below). We preferred the restaurant for breakfast and lunch -- delicious huevos rancheros and chilaquiles, but hotel is situated on a street lined with many hotels and restaurants, all within walking distance.

Some advice and info...
-Keep in mind that the shower within the hotel room is open with two shower heads and has little privacy.
-Toilet paper cannot be flushed and once or twice, housekeeping forgot to empty the wastebasket in our room after cleaning
-The ATM outside of the hotel charges a pretty hefty fee, as do the other ATMs in the immediate surrounding area. The hotel takes cards, but most of the restaurants in Tulum only accept cash (pesos or dollars). Stock up before you get to La Zebra.
-Seagrass prevented us from swimming in the ocean which was a disappointment. They work hard to clear it in the morning, but it's sort of a hopeless cause. This may have just been the time of year.

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Carly W

Hello Carly,

I hope you are great right now, I would like to thank you so much for taking some time of your day to write this wonderful review. Thank you for your kind comments, I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us even that we had a lot of sargassum those days. I will extend this review to all my staff.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 24, 2015

My family stayed at La Zebra for 7 nights - though we wish it was longer. A beautiful and well-maintained place with a super friendly staff. As you check in, you are immediately given a welcome cocktail (for adults), homemade juice (for kids). The water was so inviting, my son literally ran in with his clothes on while we were still at the front desk. We were there the end of June to July and it was not overcrowded. Ana, at the front desk, was a sweetheart. She always called my kids by name and would engage in a conversation about their day. The facility is gorgeous. We stayed in a room on the beach with a plunge pool, which the kids loved. Our room was spacious and kept cool. The fridge was always stocked with complimentary bottled water. For very young children, they have a small swing and climbing area between the beach and restaurant. My 9 and 10-year-old liked the wooden swings. The beach was very relaxing. Our kids borrowed some boogie boards and were in the water for hours.

We loved the food! Some familiar dishes, like nachos and tacos, but each had local twist and didn't taste like anything we've had before. Our kids loved the food as well. Two things that really stood out: 1) My 9-year-old son thought he could finish both the tortilla soup (which he loves) and the short rib. We told him that it was too much food and to think split one of the dishes. He insisted and we said no. One of our regular waiters heard our discussion and surprised our son with an extra small cup of the tortilla soup. Not on the menu. We were blown away. 2) I got sick after visiting a small town that was about 50 miles away. The restaurant staff noticed that I wasn't eating much and asked what happened. After I told them, the food service head asked the kitchen to make a very simple chicken broth for me. It was lovely.

We'd definitely stay at La Zebra again. I have some pictures at http://www.mostlygreen.com

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Lizelle G
LaZebraManager, Gerente at La Zebra Hotel Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2015

Hello Lizelle,

I'm so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much to write this very detailed review. Ara is going to be happy knowing she did a great job helping you, I also I'm going to show this to our restaurant staff. We would love to see you again in La Zebra.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 20, 2015

Love. Love. Love. I have been meaning to write a review since our return from La Zebra in late May! Love the rooms, love the restaurant, love the staff. We stayed 5 nights in a beachfront cabana and had a authentic, cabana style vacation at an extremely good value! We also toured the rooms in the newer buildings that look gorgeous and updated. May try one of those next time. The staff was very courteous, greeted us by first name every time, and was most helpful with our questions, requests and tending to our needs and crazy requests.I can not say enough about this gorgeous property and the wonderful people that work there. Great location, beautifully maintained and the restaurant was delicious. If desired, there is never a reason to leave the property. The Wifi worked seamlessly in the restaurant and on the beach. There are bicycles to rent from the hotel. We never used a taxi. The beachfront is raked daily. We cant wait to return!

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Cherie G
LaZebraManager, Gerente at La Zebra Hotel Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2015

Cherie,

I hope this find you well, It's never late for a great comment like yours, thank you so much for taking some time to write this review. I'm so happy that you had wonderful stay in our beautiful La Zebra. Hope we can see you back anytime soon.

Saludos desde Tulum

Reviewed August 18, 2015

We recently returned from our second visit to Tulum. The front desk was always very helpful and so friendly, thanks for the welcome cocktail!
Best things: Location (great restaurants nearby), Fantastic quality of room, great cocktails, wonderful food (I asked for the salsa recipes....would love to have them!), friendly and helpful staff

We stayed from a Thursday - Monday at LaZebra, room E4 (upper luxury suite with balcony). The rooms were recently renovated, and the real star is the bathroom area. Two sinks, separate toilet, a "shower room" (huge walk in shower area with two separate shower heads and pegs to hang swimsuits / towels to dry). Loved the long vanity with two separate sinks. The towels were soft and large (and they provide plenty). The King bed was comfortable but we found the sheets to be a bit scratchy. The generous and strong air conditioning (available anytime, as opposed to another place we stayed last year that was limited to night time and shut off at 7 am). You can barely see the ocean from E4 balcony, but it is very close to the restaurant / beach.
Beach area and seating was comfortable and plenty of seats were available. There are nice bathrooms / sinks near the restaurant, easily accessible from the beach. There were quite a few children here, this isn't adult only location, but it wasn't a problem for us. We still had a great time. Yoga next door was in a beautiful studio facing the ocean but overpriced, not a serious flow workout (check out other studios on jungle side). There is an abundance of seaweed this year, while there is a slight smell, La Zebra put effort into cleaning it out much better than other hotels down the beach. Make sure you walk down the beach (if you are facing the ocean, take a left and look for Helen!) for the $40 USD, 70 minute massage (the ones offered at La Zebra were same price for half the time).
We loved the location - it was a couple minutes walk to a few amazing restaurants, notably Casa Banana (order the martini del dia, changes daily, generous steak portions, our favorite restaurant experience there) and Acara.
The drinks / food were great. Loved the quality of the mixed drinks, we enjoyed cocktails or buckets of beer on ice down by the beach, salsa, guacamole and the ceviche. Preferred breakfast / lunch here to dinner. Service was sometimes slow, but it wasn't a major issue. Don't miss Sunday night salsa, really impressive large band.
It was quiet and comfortable, perfect for relaxing vacation. We would definitely return to La Zebra.

Room tip: While no significant ocean view, renovated villa rooms great value and we loved the bathrooms.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hello

Thank you so much for a great and detailed commnet, I really apreciate it, I would let the staff to read this. For us is very important to know our guests had a amazing time with us. Sorry if the food was a little delayed some days I would take care of this. We would love to see you soon at La Zebra a let us pamper you again.

Saludos