“Pure Bliss”

Ranked #6 of 93 Hotels in Tulum
Santa Monica, California, United States
“Pure Bliss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

My husband and I got married at La Zebra in May and rented out the entire property for 5 nights. Everyone LOVED La Zebra and we're already talking about returning for another family vacation. The staff is amazing, the food is delicious, and the beach is pristine! I had the opportunity to see most of the cabanas and they are all beautifully done. I will say that if the heat and bugs really bother you stay on the beach side, as my friends on the jungle side did seem to be more bothered by mosquitos and had a harder time sleeping (although from what I understand the jungle side may be closed next season anyway). We stayed in the Master Suite and there was an amazing breeze that kept us cool the whole stay. We also were able to get wi-fi in our room at some points even though it's technically only in the restaurant area. If possible, try to time your stay to experience one of their amazing Sunday night Salsa Parties, so much fun!! I really can't say enough amazing things about La Zebra. I have travelled a lot and in most cases I enjoy new destinations, but would rather experience somewhere else rather than go back. That is not the case with La Zebra and Tulum, we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you're really bothered by bugs and heat stay in a Suite or Beachfront room. The breeze will k...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
LaZebraManager, General Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi Tess,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments about La Zebra. I would formally like to congratulate you on the wedding once again as it was a pleasure who host you. It is always good to know that our food is delicious and staff amazing, which they are! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our cabanas as well and you are correct we will not have the jungle rooms next busy season, but a series of luxury cabanas that will replace them.

We hope to see you back with your family soon, as you are always welcome,

Nicolas Kendall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

First, the staff here are amazing and I can't say enough about them all. The young gentleman who run the restaurant, maintenance and security are the best. The concierge(s) were very polite and helpful. If you need a cool drink or something to eat, the wait staff are just wonderful. They are very polite, clean, prompt (but not pushy) and friendly. The food is very, very good and the drinks just keep coming.

Loved the hotel. The room was great, but not what I expected. I thought I had booked a room by the ocean. I paid for a room by the ocean. I was used to a room by the ocean with Cabanas La Luna, Casa Violeta and then hit La Zebra. Unfortunately, we were led away from the ocean to our room, which was right in between four others. What a bummer. I won't stay there again and will book well ahead at another location.

The room was ok, clean and had a refridgerator (that's a plus, huge plus). It was clean, hot water, clean linens and towels, etc.

The Salsa Night was fun, but unless you really know how to do it - you kinda get pushed to the side by the local dancers who really can salsa. They're fantastic to watch, but you just feel out place.

We picked this hotel because we don't expect luxury. We didn't want an all-inclusive and we did not want to be around people constantly.

Tulum is a great place to visit and stay - the water is amazing and the people you meet are wonderful (mostly).

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your review and we are glad you had a great time, especially in our restaurant. It is true that our staff are great and we are very proud of them. We apologize you felt slightly disappointed by your room's location. due to a high demand and similar comments We at La Zebra would like to let you know that we will have a several new luxury cabanas with view and a/c before the high season, so keep posted.

It is also interesting you hear your experience of our Salsa Party as normally the locals are very welcoming to anyone on the dance floor, but thank you for letting us know.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel in a paradisiac beach speaks for itself.
The room is nice in its own style with a bed with a mosquito net.
The staff is more than pleased to help you to find great places to visit and assist you with your needs.
Food is tasty and fresh, they bake incredible coconut bread and nachos.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Priscila D
LaZebraManager, General Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Hi Priscila,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at La Zebra and thank you for writing this review. The Tulum beach is a paradise and happy to know you enjoyed your room. I am sure my staff took good care of you and next time we will have some coconut bread and nachos waiting for you.....

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

Absolutely LOVED this hotel. My boyfriend and I stayed at Le Zebra for 5 nights this July and had the best time! The hotel staff was AMAZING! Grace and Chabely were very helpful and so kind.

The hotel staff arranged transportation for us from the Cancun airport. We walked outside and found our driver with the Le Zebra sign and my last name. The drive was about and hour and a half, but it flew by. Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted warmly and showed to our room. The room was more beautiful then the pictures. We were in room #6 and had a great/comfortably king bed, ample closet space, a mini fridge, and enough room to walk around and be comfortable. The only down side was we traveled in July and our room was fairly warm at night. We both live in Denver, so we are not as accustomed to the climate. Others who live in more hot/humid climates will have no problem here! I asked Chabely the next morning for a larger fan and the next thing I knew it was in our room! We were much more comfortable with the larger fan!

The hotel provided free coffee every morning, which we enjoyed on the beach. Any questions we had were answered above and beyond what we expected. Grace & Chabely were full of ideas, recommendations and travel advice. They recommended a few local restaurants in Tulum to try, but the meals we had at Le Zebra were my favorites (El Asador was a close second)! The breakfast burrito at Le Zebra may be the best burrito I have ever had. The two fish filets on the dinner menu were also amazing as well as the fish tacos!

I can't say a single bad thing about our experience at Le Zebra. Everyone was so nice and accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Tulum area. We both hope to return to Le Zebra again soon! Thanks to Le Zebra for our first perfect first trip to Tulum!!

Room Tip: I was in the #6 Beach Side Cabana and it was a bit warm at night. We were also traveling in July, so...
Hi Leslie,

Thank you so much for you comments and we are so happy to hear that your stayed in beach side heaven. It is good to know that our transport company is giving good service and that you enjoyed our rooms. Grace and Chabely are great and I am glad to hear that they helped you out with local advice. we are proud of the food we serve here at La zebra and are so happy to hear that is was your favorite (El Asadero is also an excellent choice). We apologise for the heat inconvenience, however we would like to inform you that by your next visit we will have ac - stay posted.

We wish you all the best,

Ketchum, Idaho, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed at La Zebra during the off season (July) for a wedding. Overall the hotel was beautifully located, very well kept, with great service.

The reason I wouldn't give it "excellent" is due to room locations. While they were all very nicely appointed, during the off season, you are highly dependent on the ocean breeze to cool your room at night, and only three room actually face the ocean front to receive this breeze in the evening and night -- Rooms 1, 2, and 3. The remainder are deathly hot a night during the off season. I cannot speak for the high season, but as the temperatures drop to a point where pants and a sweater are recommended, I imagine they would all be fine during the high season.

Cheers!

Hi,

Thank you very much for your review as everyone helps us improve. We are aware that many of our rooms do not have direct breeze from the beach, which can be uncomfortable for certain guests. Due to this demand, we are currently working on upgrading our power supply with hopes of installing AC before the next high season. Next time it shall be a very cool experience..look forward to your return.

Central Norway, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Loved this hotel. Stayed 6 nights in a beach front cabana, waking to the sound of the waves and ocean breeze every morning. Excellent restaurant and great staff made the stay a memorable one. The most relaxing stay I've ever had.

Room Tip: The beach front cabana offers great view and natural cooling from the ocean breeze.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi,

Thank you for your kind words towards La Zebra. It is always good to know that our guests leave having had a excellent restaurant experience with our food and staff. Thanks for letting us know you had a relaxing time as this is always our goal. We hope all is well,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stunning, relaxing, peaceful...truly a gift for our souls. We felt welcome and honored to be there. We will return again and again. Thank you to the delightful and very enthusiastic staff! Thank you !
Señor Douglas y Joan y Mae

• Stayed June 2014
Hi,

We are thrilled to have facilitated a gift for your souls, La Zebra is a magical place and we were honoured to have you. You are always welcome and I believe the doctor's orders are back!

Until next time,