“Beautiful and Tranquil. Great place to relax and enjoy nature”

La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 102 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed September 24, 2013

La Zebra is the place to relax ,chill out and eat amazing Mexican food! We stayed at the hotel for a week and didn't need to venture out too far. The natural setting is gorgeous. The food is delicious and we enjoyed it the whole week. The whole staff was very nice and provided excellent service. One of the things I enjoyed the most was the decoration in the restaurant, wow! It was so original!!! I Loved it!
Miriam, the concierge, was outstanding, very attentive and helpful.
Coctail time was great :) Yummy mojitos, margaritas and coconut water by the sea. The white-sand beach was just like a dream.
We stayed in a jungle room, it was a bit small, but cozy and quiet. We were very lucky to have had the pool to ourselves.

We found La Zebra online, this was our first vacation in Mexico and we were so impressed by the Mayan culture,and by the kindness of the people, that we will make our next holiday there again, next time we will book a cabana with a sea view. Yeah :) Even though we had some rain, we had a fantastic time.

Room Tip: You must try the habanero margarita, tamales and the home made tortillas, they are the best!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LukaKarla
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

thank you so much for your review! it was great to have you with us and hope we have you back sometime soon !

Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed September 12, 2013

By happy chance, the hotel in Tulum someone suggested for my son and daughter-in-law's wedding couldn't accommodate the event so they chose La Zebra and we are all so pleased they did. The event accommodated 60 people who immensely enjoyed the laid back ambiance and authentically rustic yet completely clean and comfortable cabana living. Lina at the restaurant and bar, and her staff, especially Berza, Miriam and Santiago and so many others, made us feel like long lost family from the moment we arrived. The entire affair for our kids was worry free and tailored completely to their vision. Staff were attentive, eager to make everyone comfortable and happy not just for the wedding and reception, but for our entire stay. Never once did we feel pressured to tip or that any request was too much. There were so many kindnesses that Lina and her staff simply provided without hesitation. Berza was unobtrusive but attentive to our needs, and tried gently each morning to teach a little more Spanish. Santiago hurried to get us umbrellas when a jungle downpour caught us after breakfast; he cheerfully offered an arm and off we went to our cabana. Miriam called about tours for us, and phoned our shuttle to check on our departure time. The weather cooperated wonderfully for a beach wedding; a little rainy in the morning to freshen things up after some very hot weather, then the sun shone with just enough overcast to be comfortable. The beautiful setting was perfect and the food selections for the wedding supper were outstanding. During our entire stay, the meals at Lina's have been superb, from breakfast (you've got to try all the egg dishes) to the dinners available. Fresh tortillas, a fantastic salsa verde, coconut bread, I could go on. We stayed in cabana 8 because of the 2 double beds so our other son could stay with us. It was very comfortable and even on the hot nights, the cross breeze from the screened windows and the fans kept things comfortable. A lovely surprise was the delivery of coffee in a little basket to our cabana early each morning; get up early to have it still hot and enjoy the birdsong on your little porch. You may even get a nighttime glimpse of a racoon. Next time we come, we will try to get the ocean view cabanas so we can see the sunrise. Our newlyweds at the big turquoise cabana 1 and it was really lovely. You have to expect sand; it's everywhere but barefoot is the order of the day. There are trays of cool water outside your door to rinse your feet before you go inside. Be careful not to linger on the sand in the treed areas; there are many little ant hills that don't mind your step if you keep going but you'll be sorry if you give them a chance to bite. Pack loose fitting, gauzy clothes. Think HOT. Even the rain is warm. We visited in September, so just at the beginning of the rainy season. Following the wedding, we took advantage of a 35% off room rate. We were lucky that the weather was great for the wedding, but as soon as it was over, the next day the sea kicked up and the rains came. But it was all spectacular. An added bonus was that it was time for thousands of baby sea turtles to emerge from their nests and make the dash for the sea. Nests are marked with sticks along the beach so people don't disturb them. Several wedding guests were able to see this once-in-a-lifetime experience. We are torn between wanting to tell everyone about La Zebra, and keeping it to ourselves. Mucho gracias to Lina and all the staff at La Zebra. An absolutely memorable time.

Room Tip: Cabanas closer to the back near the road may be noisier. Those close to the front have fantastic vie...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank getgoingCanada
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

We are so touched by your lovely review, all the staff was very happy to hear your comments. We are here to help and make your holiday as best as possible so we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. For us its always an honor to meet and take care of our guests, it would great to see you and your family come back , thank you again for sharing your experience with other travelers and for visiting our beautiful Tulum. See you next time!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed in this lovely place, since we had heard a lot of great things about it and we were just amazed by the charm and love from all the people who work here. We are in the hotel business and we know about good service and good food. We would like to thank everyone for making our holiday so special and fun. We would like to thank Miriam, she did our check in and offered us right away a welcome cocktail, after a long journey we couldn’t say no! We had the best Mojitos ever! She gave us great information about what to do and where to go. The whole time she took great care of us. She was just amazing! We also met Lina. We tried everything on the menu what she recommended, chilaquiles for breakfast were so good! And for dinner fresh fish was delicious! We are seriously thinking about getting married in Tulum next year, of course at La Zebra. We are sure they will make a dream wedding for us!
Fernel

Room Tip: all are great
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fernel C

We were happy to help and take good care of you! thank you for your visit and we hope to see you again some time soon

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is for the most part a wedding review, not a review of La Zebra as a hotel.

We had our wedding on July 27th 2013. We signed our contract by the end of last January. Back then La Zebra’s wedding planner was Elisa Meani (who was really helpful through the whole process). As agreed, we booked all the rooms in order to have a private event.
If you’re looking for a “cabaña” type of thing, it’s a good choice. As many other options in Tulum, La Zebra doesn’t have air conditioned, so take that into account. All the cabañas are nice and very clean and each morning they bring you coffee right outside your cabaña.
First of all, I will start saying that a lot of people told us it was the best wedding they had ever been to. Planning a destination wedding takes a LOT of your time. In the end everybody was more than happy, so the main goal was reached. But as the bride I can say the process could have been way less painful.

The good things
-The location. La Zebra is located in a beautiful beach. It’s not crowded at all. You don’t need a lot of decorations, since Lina’s (the restaurant/palapa where the reception was held) already has a lot of stuff in it. There’s a huge wooden circle by the beach that you’re able to use as a dance floor, and another little palapa for the musicians/DJ’s.

-The set up. Since La Zebra has a colorful setup, with an arrangement that really fits the place, everything you put in there as wedding decoration will work. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on flowers. There are a lot of cool places to take good wedding pictures.

-The food. It was good. But the truth is after asking several of the wedding guests, they didn’t get enough portions. I’ll explain later why.

The not so good things. As I said, the process was really stressful. I felt like I was the wedding planner.

-When we signed the contract we agreed on a lot of things. We would be able to bring our own vendors (tacos al pastor at midnight, an ice cream cart). We could use La Zebra’s decoration and linens.

-Two months later after signing the contract, and as I said, with a lot of previous agreements, Elisa informed us she no longer would work with La Zebra and we would have 2 new wedding planners: Angelina Cárdenas and Lina Avila (La Zebra’s chef). We had to start all over again. Sometimes I felt they didn’t read the e-mails I sent or it took them forever to answer. I know we were not the only wedding they were organizing, but sometimes it took them 2 weeks or more to answer a couple of questions.

-At some point La Zebra started changing the agreements we already had. We knew they were having some changes in their policies, so we had a serious talk with them. We sent the previous e-mail conversations we had so they would respect the agreements. Sometimes they changed the prices of the food and of the price of the permit to extend to wedding after 11 pm. We had to rent our own linens (what restaurant does not have linens?) 11 days before the wedding they informed us we needed a power plant so the band we booked could perform in the wedding, (we asked them to get in touch with the band 2 months before the wedding in May!)

-The portions of several of the tables at the wedding were not enough. Angelina asked me the day before the wedding if instead of serving each person a plate they could serve in the middle of the table several plates of the menu we chose so everybody could taste everything. I agreed, but the day after the wedding, multiple guests told me the food was not enough.

In summary, La Zebra needs to work on their staff involving the weddings, especially since a destination wedding is so complicated to organize. A wedding is a once in a life time event, so they need to provide once in a lifetime service. Their staff needs to go further and commit to each event, being as helpful as they can.

Room Tip: Cabañas in the front
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lilianaic
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

We appreciate your feedback , and we again thank you for choosing our location for this very special occasion . We do our best to be flexible with all the different requests that we receive and try hard to be as fast as possible with our responses when it comes to the planification process. We know that there are many questions that come up and brides get a bit stressed at times, but at the end our events always run smoothly. We unfortunately cant avoid the change in staff at times but we have experieced planners that will go out of their way to make sure your event is as expected. Regading food, we provide various options so its up to our bride and groom on their selection and according to that the prices can vary. We do provide some decoration items , due to the artistic hand painted tables that we have we do not use linens in our restaurant. We apologize and did not mean to cause any stress for you, on the contrary . We hope all is well with you and wish you the best in your new married life.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I'm going to try not to be too negative as there are loads of good points about this place and lots of reasons to recommend it.

Positives: lovely waiters in the restaurant. I've read the other reviews about slow service, this is somewhat true but I think that's just their style! If you asked them for things e.g. food, menus, check they got it immediately and with a smile. However, I think they're just used to not bothering people too much as many people from the hotel just 'hang out' in the restaurant bit as it's quite relaxed. I enjoyed the chilled vibe, it's Tulum, that's just the deal!

The outside restaurant area is the best we saw on the whole stretch of Tulum beach.

Food - excellent. Try the pulled pork, tacos and the chocolate cake is to die for! The cocktails were all made with fresh ingredients and weren't too pricey (we live in London so we are used to £10 cocktails, I think they were about £5 in La Zebra). Breakfast omelettes were really good value and the homemade coconut bread was fabulous, I looked forward to it every morning.

Beach - kind of in the middle and with a great bit of beach. The deckchairs are now reserved ONLY for La Zebra patrons, seems they listened to the reviews!

Location - if you don't have a car it's well positioned for quite a few good nearby restaurants.

Sunday nights salsa - WOW! what a sight, you get a real taste of the culture and it has a busy, fun atmosphere.

Negatives: Our room. We had Cabana no.2 which was beach front - the lilac one they use in the pictures. It rained in the night a lot and the rained poured in under the door. I understand you're not getting a 5/4* standard so we just shoved towels by the door but it leaked so bad they were puddles of rain water all over the room, which was really icky and made the room have a damp smell, and I think it may have even made me ill. To be fair, we did tell the reception and they had it cleaned well, but when you pay to stay somewhere you don't expect to have to wade around in water half the time.

I didn't really trust the rusty lock on our door either, although there was a security guard and a safe it did make us feel a bit on edge especially during the night.

The maids didn't fill up the soap or shower gel a single time on our stay either, I even left the lid off the soap so she might take the hint but she didn't.

The water ran out, which was annoying as we had to wait for the van to come and refill the tank.

On check out we kind of felt a bit forgotten about (we stayed for 7 nights!); we paid our bill without a 'thank you for staying with us' or even a 'goodbye.' As a guest it's nice to feel valued and it left us with a bad taste in our mouths. I can understand why some reviewers thought the management was rude. If they'd have said 'thank you for staying' or SOMETHING to acknowledge us I might have given them 4*, but it made us feel undervalued and like we were teenagers staying at some hostel and we didn't matter.

Overall, if you don't mind shabby chic and you can handle roughing it for a few days then definitely stay here and eat lots of the chocolate cake! Just don't expect luxury.

Room Tip: If you want a beach side cabana you HAVE to choose number 1 (the big one) or 2, 3 at a push, otherwi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, we enjoyed the posite comments and will take the negative ones into consideration . By no means did we mean to ignore you during your departure, we of course thank you for your visit, and apologize if you felt we were rude. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and hope to see you back some other time.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I went to a wedding ceremony and party at la Zebra. I cannot say much about accommodation since I didn't stay there. But besides the wedding, I hanged there for a few days with friends, ate and had drinks at the restaurant. I can say the staff was very friendly, food gas quite good, the decoration and ambiance of the ceremony were great, and the sugar cane mojitos were amazing (only place I have tried this recipe). I definitely recommend it to hang out and have a good time. Enjoy La Zebra!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JorgeDario
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

we really enjoyed your comments, and thank you for recommending us! we sure hope you can hang out with us again, it was a pleasure to have you with us.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I can not say enough about how great La Zebra Hotel in Tulum, Mexico was. I'll more than likely return to this hotel due to the wonderful time that I had here. What really makes this place special is that it's very quiet and tucked away from the grandiose all inclusive hotels that line the Yucatan Peninsula. Additionally, you don't ever have to leave the hotel. The beach is awesome and a stones throw away from the restaurant and bar. My waiter Santiago (he deserves a raise)had no problem getting me my very reasonably priced Mojitos with fresh sugar cane juice whenever I needed one. The restaurant has an excellent menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I suggest Chori Pappa, Fish Tacos, and Chicken Mole. I stayed in jungle cabana #14 which has a nice little pool located out the front door. Be sure to ask for a tower fan, as the ceiling fan provides you no comfort whatsoever (this is literally my only complaint). Again, I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean side for the ocean breeze, or get a tower fan in your room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steven C

It was nice to hear your comments, thank you for your lovely review. We hope we will see you back with us on your next visit to tulum. We recently changed that ceiling fan in cabaña #14 to a more powerfull one.