“Paradise”

Ranked #6 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Fort Hood, Texas, United States
“Paradise”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I can not say enough about how great La Zebra Hotel in Tulum, Mexico was. I'll more than likely return to this hotel due to the wonderful time that I had here. What really makes this place special is that it's very quiet and tucked away from the grandiose all inclusive hotels that line the Yucatan Peninsula. Additionally, you don't ever have to leave the hotel. The beach is awesome and a stones throw away from the restaurant and bar. My waiter Santiago (he deserves a raise)had no problem getting me my very reasonably priced Mojitos with fresh sugar cane juice whenever I needed one. The restaurant has an excellent menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I suggest Chori Pappa, Fish Tacos, and Chicken Mole. I stayed in jungle cabana #14 which has a nice little pool located out the front door. Be sure to ask for a tower fan, as the ceiling fan provides you no comfort whatsoever (this is literally my only complaint). Again, I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean side for the ocean breeze, or get a tower fan in your room.
1 Thank Steven C
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
It was nice to hear your comments, thank you for your lovely review. We hope we will see you back with us on your next visit to tulum. We recently changed that ceiling fan in cabaña #14 to a more powerfull one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were attending a family wedding. What an amazing place to have everyone stay.Beautiful beach and surf. Excellent service, food, and accommodations. Staff was very helpful. Santiago took good care of us every time we saw him, and well as many others. Menu selection had so much variety with beautiful presentation. Marianne and all the staff were very gracious and friendly. We loved the conveniences but non-commercial feel of the place. We will definitely try to return..

1 Thank janeebeth
thank you so much for your lovely review, it was really a plaeasure for us to have you stay in our hotel, and are glad you and your group of friends enjoyed your time with us. Hopefully we will see you back in tulum again.
Aledo, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

First time in Tulum, we are use to going to resorts that have A/C so we were a little concerned how we would do without. We didn't need A/C the breeze off of the ocean was more than enough to keep us comfortable (we had room 19B on the ocean) our son and his wife was across the road where they don't get as much of a breeze and had to ask for an extra fan which they were more than happy to provide. If you love great food, great service and one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to then you will surely love La Zebra. Choripapa for breakfast, fish taco's for lunch and either fish or Chicken Mole for dinner. Staff was friendly and very accommodating. The drinks were plentiful and they will serve them on the beach. I would definitely go back, we had no issues at all

Room Tip: ask for a room on the beach. Well worth the cost.
3 Thank 666JohnWC666
We are happy to hear you enjoyed our food and hospitality, thank you very much for your visit and we hope we will be seeing you on your future holidays
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed July 16, 2013

La Zebra Hotel came as a recommendation from a friend who attended a wedding there last year. Every time he talked about Tulum, and La Zebra Resort, he was so passionate about what an incredibly magical spot this is. Being a seasoned traveller, and a bit of a individual that really enjoys unravelling the mystery of a new location on my own, I wasn't sure if it would match what we were looking for. Since I trusted my friend, I thought I could make a reservation for three nights, and then move on to enjoy other experiences in Mexico. Upon arrival, I knew that I had reached a destination that matched perfectly with what we were looking for. We wanted something unique, small scale,beautiful, excellent beaches, sensational food, and people that we could geniunely interact with to get a real flavor for Mexico. I highly recommend the beach side cabanas. Being right on the sand, and seconds away from the Caribbean and the sound of the waves, is the best! The cabanas are all unique, each brightly colored, with the interior having a creative touch. There was no TV, no phone, no internet in the cabana, and fans, not air conditioning to cool you off. La Zebra is considered an eco chic hotel, that is run on a generator, and batteries, so not only the size of La Zebra's property being part white sand beach, and other part jungle, there is a peacefulness, and tranquility that is hard to match. The wonderful part about La Zebra Hotel is even though there is a very quiet and romantic feel to it, the staff really embraced us as a family. Every morning, the entire staff greeted our son, Hola Lorenzo! as if he was family, and interacted with him, happy to see him dragging sand from the beach to get up on the chair, and try and help the bartender mix fruit juice for the clientele. The restaurant is internet connected, so you can go and get connection there, and there is always the best salsa, bossa nova, latin jazz to soothe your mind while looking out at the most amazing turquoise water, and white sand beach. Needless to say, after going to visit Chichen Itza, and then thinking we would spend time on the other side of the Yucatan, after two hours in Progresso, we looked at each other, and nodded in agreement that we wanted to spend the second part of our trip back at La Zebra. When we returned, we really appreciated the extra effort on behalf of the concierge, Chabely, who informed us that there was a wedding coming to the hotel, and they had rented the entire hotel to them. We went looking up and down the street, as all of the hotels are unique and small scale and dreamy, but nothing felt as good as La Zebra. Chabely went out of her way to find a solution so that we could continue our stay for another 5 nights in paradise. Thank you to Chabely, Miram, Hernan, Orlando, Leo, Santiago, Alejandro, and all the other staff that help create a magical experience never to be forgotten, and only to be remembered as the very best spot to unwind, relax, and feel the bliss that only a truly beautiful spot like La Zebra can offer. Gracias Amigos!

2 Thank EnzosMom2011
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
It was so nice to hear from you! Thank you for your lovely review, your words mean a lot us, we will certainly share them with the rest of the staff. Thank you again for making us a part of your holiday and for leaving with us your happy energy and good spirit. Many greetings from all the staff and a big hug for Lorenzo. Come back soon!
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I really liked this hotel. It is located in an excellent spot in the beach, where there are no rocks and the sea is good for swimming and chilling out. It is also a great spot for walking on the beach, there is a large area of sand on both sides where one can track in the end of the afternoon. There are also enough palapas for all guests. On Saturday, they accepted a lot of people who were not guests on the palapas and when I got to the beach there was none for me, but then I asked the manager and he got me one. I think they shouldn't accept non guests in the palapas, I found it uncomfortable to be supposed to ask the manager for one when I was paying a lot for it. The hotel is pricey, but all hotels by the beach in the Tulum area are. My beach side cabana was comfortable and there was good water pressure in the shower, which I really appreciate. Staff was friendly and helpful. There were bikes to rent which was a bonus, I loved it. I didn't find the restaurant as good as others have said, I had mostly better meals in other places (including hotels) in Mexico. Considering the price of the night, breakfast should be included (it is in some other hotels in the area, also with cabanas on the beach). They only provide complimentary coffee and fresh orange juice (which was tasty). Unfortunately, I was not there on Sunday to enjoy the famous Salsa party. I went to their sister hotel Mezanine salsa party on Wednesday night which was ok, but apparently not as fun as the La Zebra Sunday party. All in all, despite some little stuff, I liked the hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Beach side cabanas are worth it, very close to the beach and restaurant, nice light and breeze.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
thank you for giving us your feed back, which we will take into consideration. Regarding the beach umbrellas , we will try to have a better control so that our hotel guests have priority over them. We are sorry for the incovenience that this situation might have caused and hope to have you back with us again some time soon.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2013

La Zebra really had everything we were looking for during our trip to Tulum. Not a resort. Private cabanas. Great restaurant on site. Beautiful beach. We stayed in one of the jungle side cabanas and found it to be wonderfully quiet and clean. Every morning we were greeted by hot coffee waiting for us outside our door, which we enjoyed before heading over to the restaurant (on the beach) and having another cup of even better coffee and one of the delicious smoothies. The cocktails at the bar were phenomenal. Margaritas, mojitos, pina coladas... we loved them all. You can see them pressing fresh sugar cane every day, so you know everything is as fresh as possible. It doesn't get much better than beach side service and margaritas.

It's located right on the main beach strip, making it convenient to all of the incredible restaurants.

Also, the price was great! We weren't looking for anything all-inclusive, and we just had them put all of our food and drinks on our tab until we left. After nervously waiting for our total, we nearly laughed at how affordable it was (and, again, this was including a "few" cocktails).

By the end of our stay, we were on a first-name basis with most of the staff. Absolutely lovely people. They helped us arrange transportation to and from the airports and for sightseeing ruins and cenotes. We felt very taken care of, but in a non-invasive way. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We cant wait to have you back with us! thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers ,we are glad to hear your stay with us was enjoyable. It really was a pleasure to have you in our hotel and restaurant and we are looking forward to seeing you again.
santa barbara
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently returned from a six-night stay at La Zebra. We stayed at another property prior to going there. The first was a great choice, but more basic, so when we got to La Zebra we felt like we had so much luxury. We had room #1 (one of the largest in front), which is basically a two-room cabana, which was great with two kids. You could save a considerable amount going with the smaller one if you are a couple or only have one child. The furnishings and bathroom were all really tastefully done and comfortable. Our outdoor tub and shower in addition to the indoor restroom was really convenient for getting the kids rinsed off. We were about thirty feet from the ocean, which was very fun as we heard the ocean waves crashing through the night. The sea was not as tranquil as it usually is, so it was probably a bit more active (and loud) than other times of year. There are eight or nine other smaller cabanas all in a row, but you never hear anyone or feel their presence. The staff was very friendly and non-invasive. Cabely, the concierge, was our initial contact and she is very good at hospitality. It was really nice having someone we could relate to and trust and go to with any questions feeling like she genuinely cared. The house cleaning was excellent. Fernando and Fili were two of our favorite staff in the restaurant. Santiago is always smiling and Fili is very hospitable as well. We enjoyed the food and drinks and especially the homemade tortillas by Andrea who cooks them in the middle of the restaurant. The drinks aren't inexpensive (here or anywhere else) so you might want to stash a cooler with ice and a few beverages in your room. You can sit outdoors or inside with an amazing view of the caribbean. There are lounge chairs and palapas in front. The sea was not hospitable for snorkeling while we were there, so we body surfed instead. My seven year old son had a great time in the warm, gentle sea. It's really nice that coffee and tea are included in the morning, but we felt that service could be improved upon. The hot water was in kind of old canisters that still had coffee in them and with the prices for food in Tulum you want every amenity you can possibly get without a charge. I ended up just ordering tea in the restaurant. Everyone is so relaxed in Tulum that we never felt like the kids were bothering anyone, they just got to be themselves and enjoy our vacation. One day a week they have salsa dance lessons and the most amazing dancers go to La Zebra. It was mesmerizing really. The whole trip was just dreamy.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rklace
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
It was nice to hear from you,ank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. For us it was a pleasure to have you here, thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope we get to see you some time soon