“Great beach hotel”

La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 101 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I had a great experience at La Zebra. We stayed 4 nights in the master suit and it was worth the extra rate. The cabana is right on the beach, literally a stones throw from the front door to the surf. It has 2 rooms, so it would be great for a couple with a young child or 2.

Also, the food was great - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We ate out at some other places that were good too, but we both agreed that the restaurant at La Zebra was our favorite of the trip. They have reasonable drink prices and a large selection of quality tequila.

We are definitely planing a return trip and will book the same room. Next time we will bring our child. It seems perfect for a kid who loves the beach because again, the room is right on the beach. Mom and Dad could sunbathe and have a margarita on the front porch during naptime.

Our only complaint was that the hot water was a bit few and far between, but we did have it some of the time. this was far outweighed by the location, staff (especially Hernan), food, and experience.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed nice, but the closer to the beach, the better - it's worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peligr0s0
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for commenting our hotel and restaurant, we are glad you enjoyed them both. Sorry for the hot water situation, usually not a problem. We look forward to your next visit, thanks again for coming to our beautiful Tulum beach.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Beautiful location and exceptional service. The staff was very accommodating, fast and efficient with all our needs. We stayed 4 nights, 2 in the jungle cabana and 2 in the beach cabana. We were surprised we ended up preferring the jungle cabana that was much larger and full of light, and the distance to the beach was only 1-2 minutes further away than a beach cabana.

At night there is a great breeze throughout the property and its a very relaxing atmosphere. The highlight of the stay was to unexpectedly find an amazing 9 member Latin/Cuban Jazz group playing live on the hotel's beach after we returned to the hotel from dinner at a restauraunt in town. My wife loves this kind of music, so it was a bit of a magical experience to grab desert & latte's while listening to the waves, the music and watching people dance on the beach. Chevere!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AdenTravelsALot

Thank you again for your visit, and for your nice comments. We will continue to have our weekly salsa party every sunday, so we hope you can stop by again and dance under the stars with our cuban-mexican band! We have some new delicious options on our new menu as well !

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at two more hotels in Tulum town before I moved to this hotel for the last 3 nights of our stay in Tulum. The hotel's cabanas are all amazing with great design and location. The jungle cabanas are noisy during the day because they are close to the road but then again who stays at a cabana during the day when you have the beach??? At night, the noise goes down around 10 pm. The beach cabanas are probably the best because they are at the beach and you get the breeze and the view.
In my opinion, this hotel is best for a honeymoon vacation or for people who do not feel comfortable venturing out at night into town or do not want to socialize with the local people. After having stayed in Tulum for the majority of my vacation and having explored the state using collectivos, I felt disappointed that I stayed on the beach because I felt like I was isolated from the local culture. Again, all hotels on the beach are meant to enjoy the beach, have coctails and relax. My vacation was a bit more active so I ended up renting a car when I was at La Zebra to be able to explore since hitching a taxi from the hotel to town would run up to 70 pesos and I was running short on cash. Great hotel, good service and a good price for being on the beach.

Room Tip: Jungle cabanas are noisy during the day but fine after 10 pm at night. Beach cabanas are the best.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Iana T

We are glad you enjoyed your holiday with us, it was such a pleasure having you with us. Thank you so much for giving us your comments , they mean a lot to us. Hope to see you back again in our beautiful paradise.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great place, great people. The location, restaurant and staff are all wonderful. However, we stayed at the jungle cabanas, because we wanted access to the pool. (Pool is miniature - and not worth it.) Anyway, it is right on the road and the traffic noise was pretty awful. It didn't let up much - heavy in the afternoon and evening and again early in the morning. I would return, but stay at a beach-side cabana instead.

Room Tip: Choose the beach-side cabanas!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bethellenk
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

we hope to see you back with us, and are sorry for the inconvenience of the noise. During this holiday season it was very busy with traffic we do not have on a regular basis. Thank you for comments, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My daughter and I loved our ten days at La Zebra . We would go back in a second. Staff was superb, accomodations excellent, beach divine, food was great. Miriam and Hernan were always helpful. This is an ideal spot for couples, families; anyone who is looking for a wonderful, low key holiday in a heavenly spot.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Brookline300

we miss you, thank you for thinking about us and for your lovely words, it was great having you with us.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

There are not enough words to describe our amazing experience at La Zebra. We chose La Zebra for our November wedding. The property is gorgeous, so much so, that we shared it with Victoria Secret for a photo shoot. The rooms are beautifully decorated, beds are cozy, and I'm still amazed at how clean the staff was able to get our room with all the sand.

We love the staff, all of them, absolutely awesome, completely made our week long stay so enjoyable. Hernan, the concierge, is the man to talk to for anything. He's very patient, way more than I would have been dealing with some of our guests. He came up with some great ideas for entertainment and outings.

My mouth is still waters every time I think of the food at Lina's restaurant. We ate at a few other restaurants during our one week stay in Tulum, but none that compare to Lina's. Every meal - breakfast, lunch, and dinner, is absolutely delicious. We had our reception at Lina's and several of our guests said that our wedding dinner was the best they ever had, I agree. Lina was our first contact at La Zebra when we were searching for a wedding venue in Tulum. She was actually one of the main reasons we choose La Zebra. Lina is such an amazing person and completely honest when it came to planning our menu. We are so happy we went with every suggestion she gave.

Our wedding planners, Kattrina and Elisa are the absolute best. I had the pleasure of spending time with them at our cocktail party and I felt as if they were our friends rather than our wedding coordinators. They made planning the wedding so easy. I was so unbelievably comfortable with telling them what I wanted and having them arrange it all. Everything was perfect, decorations, cake, flowers, etc. Our ceremony and reception was even better than we could have imagined.

We were so sad to leave, literally teared up. All anyone can talk about since we left is when we can all go back. Thanks to La Zebra for making our stay and our wedding the best time of our lives, can't wait to see you all again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SAJohn

We were very happy to receive your lovely comments, warm greetings from all the staff. We hope to see you back again sometime soon, we all enjoyed having you here with us in beautifull tulum

Reviewed December 24, 2012

La Zebra is a paradise!!!! Amazing food and tasty drinks. The beach is perfect and has no rocks or debris that I could feel as I ran out in to the surf. Free WiFi. Santiago is a brilliant waiter and made the place very fun. Hernan is an amazing concierge. They arranged great trips for me and my friends to Chitzen Itza and the local cenotes...Can't say enough about Tulum and La Zebra...right up there with Thai beaches, Langkawi, and anyplace in the Caribbean! The best!!! C

Sleeping to the sounds of the surf and the breezes! Cool people hanging around all of the time!

Check it out!

Room Tip: Get one on the beach...but the jungle rooms are close enough!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

great to hear from you! thanks for your great comments....greetings from all the staff