“Great Hotel for couples who want to sit on the beach and do nothing else...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel

La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 91 Hotels in Tulum
Rogers, Arkansas, United States
“Great Hotel for couples who want to sit on the beach and do nothing else...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at two more hotels in Tulum town before I moved to this hotel for the last 3 nights of our stay in Tulum. The hotel's cabanas are all amazing with great design and location. The jungle cabanas are noisy during the day because they are close to the road but then again who stays at a cabana during the day when you have the beach??? At night, the noise goes down around 10 pm. The beach cabanas are probably the best because they are at the beach and you get the breeze and the view.
In my opinion, this hotel is best for a honeymoon vacation or for people who do not feel comfortable venturing out at night into town or do not want to socialize with the local people. After having stayed in Tulum for the majority of my vacation and having explored the state using collectivos, I felt disappointed that I stayed on the beach because I felt like I was isolated from the local culture. Again, all hotels on the beach are meant to enjoy the beach, have coctails and relax. My vacation was a bit more active so I ended up renting a car when I was at La Zebra to be able to explore since hitching a taxi from the hotel to town would run up to 70 pesos and I was running short on cash. Great hotel, good service and a good price for being on the beach.

Room Tip: Jungle cabanas are noisy during the day but fine after 10 pm at night. Beach cabanas are the best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Iana T
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your holiday with us, it was such a pleasure having you with us. Thank you so much for giving us your comments , they mean a lot to us. Hope to see you back again in our beautiful paradise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great place, great people. The location, restaurant and staff are all wonderful. However, we stayed at the jungle cabanas, because we wanted access to the pool. (Pool is miniature - and not worth it.) Anyway, it is right on the road and the traffic noise was pretty awful. It didn't let up much - heavy in the afternoon and evening and again early in the morning. I would return, but stay at a beach-side cabana instead.

Room Tip: Choose the beach-side cabanas!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bethellenk
LaZebraManager, Manager at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
we hope to see you back with us, and are sorry for the inconvenience of the noise. During this holiday season it was very busy with traffic we do not have on a regular basis. Thank you for comments, we look forward to your next visit.
Brookline, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

My daughter and I loved our ten days at La Zebra . We would go back in a second. Staff was superb, accomodations excellent, beach divine, food was great. Miriam and Hernan were always helpful. This is an ideal spot for couples, families; anyone who is looking for a wonderful, low key holiday in a heavenly spot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Brookline300
we miss you, thank you for thinking about us and for your lovely words, it was great having you with us.
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

There are not enough words to describe our amazing experience at La Zebra. We chose La Zebra for our November wedding. The property is gorgeous, so much so, that we shared it with Victoria Secret for a photo shoot. The rooms are beautifully decorated, beds are cozy, and I'm still amazed at how clean the staff was able to get our room with all the sand.

We love the staff, all of them, absolutely awesome, completely made our week long stay so enjoyable. Hernan, the concierge, is the man to talk to for anything. He's very patient, way more than I would have been dealing with some of our guests. He came up with some great ideas for entertainment and outings.

My mouth is still waters every time I think of the food at Lina's restaurant. We ate at a few other restaurants during our one week stay in Tulum, but none that compare to Lina's. Every meal - breakfast, lunch, and dinner, is absolutely delicious. We had our reception at Lina's and several of our guests said that our wedding dinner was the best they ever had, I agree. Lina was our first contact at La Zebra when we were searching for a wedding venue in Tulum. She was actually one of the main reasons we choose La Zebra. Lina is such an amazing person and completely honest when it came to planning our menu. We are so happy we went with every suggestion she gave.

Our wedding planners, Kattrina and Elisa are the absolute best. I had the pleasure of spending time with them at our cocktail party and I felt as if they were our friends rather than our wedding coordinators. They made planning the wedding so easy. I was so unbelievably comfortable with telling them what I wanted and having them arrange it all. Everything was perfect, decorations, cake, flowers, etc. Our ceremony and reception was even better than we could have imagined.

We were so sad to leave, literally teared up. All anyone can talk about since we left is when we can all go back. Thanks to La Zebra for making our stay and our wedding the best time of our lives, can't wait to see you all again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SAJohn
We were very happy to receive your lovely comments, warm greetings from all the staff. We hope to see you back again sometime soon, we all enjoyed having you here with us in beautifull tulum
Breckenridge, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

La Zebra is a paradise!!!! Amazing food and tasty drinks. The beach is perfect and has no rocks or debris that I could feel as I ran out in to the surf. Free WiFi. Santiago is a brilliant waiter and made the place very fun. Hernan is an amazing concierge. They arranged great trips for me and my friends to Chitzen Itza and the local cenotes...Can't say enough about Tulum and La Zebra...right up there with Thai beaches, Langkawi, and anyplace in the Caribbean! The best!!! C

Sleeping to the sounds of the surf and the breezes! Cool people hanging around all of the time!

Check it out!

Room Tip: Get one on the beach...but the jungle rooms are close enough!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
great to hear from you! thanks for your great comments....greetings from all the staff
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I celebrated my wedding at La Zebra Hotel in October and it was everything my wife and I could have ever wanted.

We rented out the entire hotel for the weekend and felt like we had our own private island.

The staff are incredibly sweet and attentive to all needs. We had multiple people in charge of making sure every last detail of our big day was taken care of. They understand what an important day your wedding is (even though they do them all the time), and make sure you're happy at every step.

The food at Lina's Kitchen is amazing, the drinks at the bar are spectacular. So many different types of margaritas, mojitos and specialty cocktails to choose from.

The cabanas look quaint from the outside but are large and posh inside. The suites are spectacular.

Our ceremony was right on the beach, we had dinner in the restaurant and then dancing on the spacious raised beach dance floor. Just when I thought the highlights of the evening were over, in the middle of our reception, baby turtles hatched under the dance floor and we helped them get to the sea (FYI: they don't offer this option as part of the wedding package!)

Every single one of our guests went home glowing about their experience.

If I could do it all over, with the knowledge I have now having planned a wedding, I wouldn't change a thing.

It's scary picking a place to get married without having visited first, but we made the right choice with La Zebra. It was perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
we were very honored to have you with us , thank you for making La Zebra Tulum your wedding destinationa, we loved being part of such a special day.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We found La Zebra on Trip Advisor and booked it for our upcoming trip to Tulum. We were looking to visiting a new country but at the same time wanted to be sure that we could still have a fair amount of time on a lovely beach. Initally we weren't sure about Mexico because reviews on the internet said that if you're used to Thailand beaches then Mexico's do not compare. After out visit to La Zebra I can 100% guarantee to you that it is not true. I've never seen beach like the one in La Zebra in my life. It was the whitest of sand and bluest ocean which was never too crowded.

La Zebra really made our holiday the best ever, the staff was incredible, the rooms were comfortable and the food/drink was amazing. We moved our cabanas while we there because we wanted experience both Jungle and Beach cabana and were very happy with both. Jungle is a not on the beach but is bigger than the Beach one and has a pool right in front of it. It is really comfortable. Beach cabana is literally on the beach, we stayed in no 3 and could see the sun set and sun rise from our bed. Every morning they deliver coffee on the doorstep so its a lovely start to a day :)

As I mentioned the staff is amazing and really make you feel super welcome there. Special compliments go to Roberto and Santiago who really went out of their way to make our stay special.
Every Sunday night La Zebra has a Salsa night which I highly recommed. It is a chance to really exeperince a fun party on the beach and mix with locals. Its popular event in the area with a live band and generous amount of tequila.

Food again was amazing in La Zebra and very reasonably priced and generous portions. We tested out a few restaurants on the strip but La Zebra's Mexican kitchen is by far one of the best ones. One tip would be to ask for double measures for spirits for your cocktails!
Another restaurant worth mentioning is Casa Violeta which is further south from La Zebra (only 5 min walk) and does European food rather than Mexcan and is definitely worth trying. Casa Violeta also does massage and yoga!! both highly recommended!

If the weather is cloudy (happened to us couple of times) there is loads of different things to do. We went on couple of trips with Mexican Kan Tours which was money very well spent. Their guides are amazing and really knowledgable. You can book them through La Zebra reception or go straight to their website or they have a little office in the Tulum downtown.
We also rented scooters and went to see the Old Town (great for buying souvenirs), Sian Kaan which is a nature reserve (with Lagoon) further south from La Zebra and Tulum Ruins. La Zebra rents also bicycles if you dont feel brave enough for a scooter :)
One thing i would definitely recommed would be to go towards the Sian Kaan its about 5KM furhter from La Zebra, there is a bar on the ocean side of the road. They have a lovely rooftop where you can see ocean on one side and lagoon on the other. Watching a sun set in there is definitely a view to remember.

We had such an amazing time in Tulum and can't wait to be back. Its a perfect mix of tourist and local culture and everywhere we went people were super friendly. Its perfect for couples and small families.

We would again like to thank all the staff in La Zebra for making our stay so memorable! We look forward to seeing you all again

Alex & Doris

p.s. if you are reading this and considering staying at La Zebra, you won't regret it!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Doiu
thank you so much for telling us about your stay at our hotel, we are so happy that you enjoyed your time here with us. it was a pleasure to have you , thank you for such a lovely review.