La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel
$309
  • Beachfront
Piedra Escondida(Tulum)
$140
Posada Yum Kin(Tulum)(Great Value!)
$60
$54
$229
$144
$136
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Diamante K(Tulum)(Great Value!)
$189
$141
  • Beachfront
$264
$141
$132
1,140 results
All reviewssalsa nightbalcony suitesalsa partyplunge poolsalsa dancingbeautiful beachbeach sidecevichebeach bedsbeach bagtulum beachsister hotelpalm treesamazing hotelthe entire staffbeach barlaid back
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Will be back every year - This is our favorite place on earth. We came as a couple and stayed in the one bed cabana - loved it! We came as a family and stayed in the master suite - loved it! Hernan and the staff - are the best! We have a time-share in Playa BUT split our week up every year to stay at La Zebra - we are a family of 6 and we all had the best time!

Room Tip: With your spouse - Cabana #3; with family - Master Suite #1
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stacy W
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

We will be happy to share our little piece of heaven anytime! thank you for giving us your lovely comments...we are really glad you loved our place so much and hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

My 12-year-old son and I loved our stay at La Zebra last week. We had a beachside cabana that was charming and convenient. We fell asleep to the sound of waves (enjoying the breeze) and woke to birdsong. The hotel felt very safe -- we locked our room key and valuables in the safe and left just the screen door closed so we could easily come and go and play and take beach walks completely unencumbered by stuff. The beach, cabanas, restaurant, and grounds of the hotel are gorgeous and full of interest -- beautiful landscaping, sculptures, curvy paths, lots of different places to sit, lie in hammocks or beach beds, swing on swings, or sit at tables. All the staff were very kind and helpful, and the place is lovingly maintained & clean. The surf is perfect for boogie-boarding and gentle wave jumping and diving. Food and drinks were wonderful (my son adored the non-alcoholic pina coladas and hot chocolate), and we enjoyed the Sunday Salsa party (the band was great). Hernan arranged two great outings for us -- one a boat trip to see the Tulum ruins from the sea and snorkel on two parts of the reef offshore (lovely morning trip), and the other was the Mayan Inland tour, where you visit Punta Laguna and Coba. That was a fantastically full day -- with a jungle walk (lots of wildlife, including spider monkeys), short canoe ride, zip line, Mayan ceremony, dip in a Cenote, buffet lunch, then a bike ride around the Coba ruins & climb of the castillo there. Highly recommended! The location of La Zebra is fairly remote, toward the southern end of the beach -- there's more tourist activity around Zamas -- and that suited us just fine. We took cabs to town and the ruins and half-walked, half-cabbed to other beach locations. We loved Polly, the resident dog, and all the birds. If we hadn't been so exhausted at night, we could have seen turtles coming ashore to lay eggs. We did see their tracks in the morning and swam near one while on the snorkeling trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Barbara B
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

It sounds like you had a great holiday, we hope youand your son will get to visit us again. Thank you so much for your lovely review, greetings from all the team.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

What an amazing getaway! Apparently June is off-season, but I have no idea why. La Zebra was just perfect. We got a Cabaña on the beach for two nights and fell asleep to the sound of the ocean. The staff, especially Hernan, were outstanding, responsive, and always smiling. To top it off, a sea turtle laid her eggs behind our Cabaña! The hotel is very eco-friendly, but not at the cost of luxury. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank AllyTravels1
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Its great to hear from you! thanks for sharing your experience with us, we are really pleased that you had such a wonderfull time in Tulum and at La Zebra. We are very lucky to live in such a lovely place, where you can still get to see turtles and many other wonders that nature has to offer.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

La Zebra is awesome! I had orginally wanted to stay at an all inclsuive on Maroma beach, but it was booked. I began looking around and found Tulum. After my intense research ( my research is to the point, my husband makes a joke of it) I chose La zebra. So glad I did! I called to set up our reservations and all they had for our entire stay was the beachside cabanas. I booked it but I really wanted the beachfront. After booking I emailed the hotel, and the concierge, Hernan, was able to get me the beachfront room for the first 2 nights of my stay. He was wonderful about it! He didnt act like it put him out,and was happy to help me with all of questions. We did use the private transportation company that they reccommend. ( Later in the week we went on some tours, and we learned that we had gotten a great rate! What we paid for a round trip, they paid for one way.) To get around you can use taxis. We spent about what we would have on a rental car, and did not have to deal with the topas, parking, and the crazy Mexican drivers lol. Just make sure you ask them how much the fare is before you get in the car. We got ripped one time, but everyone else was great. ( I have the number ot a great guy, who speaks good english, and makes wonderful recommendations if you would like). Anyways back to La Zebra, the beachfront room was awesome! You are literally laying in bed and on the ocean. The beachside was just as nice but you dont get the ocean views. Everyone seems worried about the AC. I was too, thats why I didnt tell the hubby there was no Ac til after we were on the plane. The breeze is so nice, you do not need the ac! Trust me we are from the deep south, and we loooove our ac. If we can handle you can too. I promise you dont even notice it. The rooms are cute and quaint, very romantic. The staff is wonderful everyone at the kitchen was wonderful. Roberto, Fili, and Rafael are awesome! I dont know how much they pay these guys, but it needs to be more! We would just go to the restaurant and order dessert just to be able to talk to these guys! They make sure you never are in need for anything. Also we ( or hernan did actually) booked a tour through Avatar adventures for Akumal, and the cenotes. Definitley a must do. Nick was awesome! We also went to the maya tulum spa. It was nice, but our hotel looked a lot better. People would come to the beach we were on, and just chill saying it was the best beach around, which it was! Actaully a corona commercial was filmed here. The one with the blond girl. Plus my husband and I also noticed that the guests at the hotel, were awesome. I do not know if its because you are getting out of that party, to good for you, lets see how much money we can spend cancun or what, but everyone was awesome. I cant say it enough. We also saw a huge turtle come and lay her eggs by our cabana one night. Once in a lifetime thing! It was the best vacation of our lives.( We are in our mid and late twenties). If you just want a relaxing, friendly vacation this is a must stop place for you. Please note that Tulum is not a party town. Its a relaxed little beach town. The hotel is on a little strip they call Beach road, and you can bike or walk to everything. I was unsure of this before booking but it was really great. Some places you have to try are Casa Banana ( for steak), Zamas ( for a wood oven pizza), and of course La Zebra especially on Sunday Salsa night. PLus bring bug spray. we bought the off plant botanicals kind, becasue it is what you use for swimming in the cenotes. The bugs at La zebra were almost non existant, but at the other palces we went to eat they were pretty bad. ( most of the restaurants on the jungle side have more bugs because of the marshes) I do not want to end this review because I cannot even to begin to get across how great this hotel is. Words do not do justice, you HAVE to try. Please note that I am extremely picky. If I had, again I say had, to make a critque it would be maybe give 2 pillows per guest, not just one and put a lock on the screen door. We left our screen open all night ( as did other guests) and during the day when we were on the beach and it was fine, but Im a little paranoid lol. Again this is nothing that would keep me from coming back. This place is very safe. I felt safer in Tulum than I did in Puerto Rico. The bad media about Mexico has hurt the tourism, ( per a bunch of locals we talked to) but Tulum is far far away and very safe. Not going to Tulum Mexico is like not going to California because Compton is unsafe. One last thing, my husband and I always say we will not go to the same place twice, because we want to see everything the world has to offer. That being said we are already planning a return trip sometime this year.Please ignore the negative reviews. If you dont enjoy LA zebra you must have stick stuck up your you know what!!
P.S. There is a beach dog that stays at the resort, Polly. She is great! Please sneak her a few bites of your wonderful tacos. She laid with us at our beach chairs everyday at the beach.

Room Tip: Beachfront cabana would be my pick, but anything on the bach is noce. I didnt actually go see the jungle cabanas, ( they are across the road) but they seemed really quite and had a pool. We talked to people who were staying there with a baby, and they loved it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2travelingdogs
Reviewed June 20, 2012

La Zebra is the perfect place for a holiday in Tulum. From the second you arrive and are welcomed by the friendly staff you get the feeling that you never want to leave.

I found our room (don't remember the room number, but it's one of the cabanas on the beach that doesn't have a sea-view) much larger than what I had expected from looking at the photos on the web site. I was told that it's one of the rooms that have recently been renovated and pictures have not yet been posted on the site. The room was very spacious, and was divided into a living area with a daybed and coffee table and the sleeping area with a bed with a mosquito net. There are also mosquito nets on the door and windows, so we had no issues with mosquitos in the room - which I found a relief as the hotel we stayed in prior to coming to la Zebra had mosquito nets with holes in them, which made it impossible to sleep at night, because we were to busy fighting off the mosquitos. I was a bit worried about the room not having an a/c, but there were to ceiling fans - one in the living area and one directly over the bed - and, along with the breeze from the sea, these were more than adequate for keeping the room from being too hot.

The beach on which the hotel is situated is the nicest stretch of beach I have ever seen. It's especially beautiful at sunrise and sunset - and the restaurant at La Zebra is the perfect place to enjoy the view. Having walked quite a lot along the beach in Tulum, I found that La Zebra's beach restraunt had a much nicer setting than most others. It also had fantastic food and the friendliest waiters - but I won't go into much detail here as I'm going to write a seperate review for the restaurant.

What made our stay special and memorable is the staff at La Zebra. Everyone is friendly and helpful, always ready to assist their guests with anything from restaurant suggestions to arranging tours and transportation, or happy just to have a chat and find out how you're enjoying your holiday. A special thank you to Hernan and Miriam for making our stay excellent.

We've been back home for over a month and I still can't get over how much we enjoyed La Zebra and Tulum. Tulum is probably one of the best beach destinations in the world. We're already trying to figure out when we can go back. And I wouldn't dream of staing anywhere in tulum other than La Zebra.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

We are also very glad you booked with us and enjoyed it so much! We are very thankfull for your lovely comments, they were very special to all of us and would of course be very happy to have you back with us on your next holiday. Many greetings from all the staff !