“perfect, by the sea”

Ranked #6 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Oklahoma City
“perfect, by the sea”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed for a few days in La Zebra hotel and it is very good:
clean (both the hotel and the beach), nice staff ready to answer the needs of the clients.
We booked it after reading the feedbacks on the Internet and it was a pure blessing.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Silver Spring, MD
Reviewed April 19, 2012

While staying in Tulum in January we had one extra night to spend before our flight home and decided to book into La Zebra, based on its location on the beach. We typically stay at NV on the beach at Tulum, but they were fully booked. Glad we chose La Zebra, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, though our room was not directly on the beach it exceeded our expectations for Tulum; from the size, decor, supplies available in the bathroom and even the small bottle of tequila in the room. We were close enough to get to the beach with ease and felt our room was an upgrade from beachfront penthouse we had vacated the day before.

Secondly we had such an exceptional experience with the staff being so kind and ensuring our stay was special. Knowing we would be at La Zebra we popped into the bar the night before, to just look around. We got chatting with Lina, who runs the restaurant. She was very pleasant and kindly offered to make us a special vegetarian meal the following evening for dinner, the night of the salsa party at La Zebra. She also had the staff allow my wife to use the sugarcane pressing machine at the bar while staff made us a cocktail.

The meal was truly fantastic (huitlacoche empanadas), the salsa party was like being the staff-quarters in the movie “Dirty Dancing” (my wife’s comment, as the place was packed with exceptional dancers having a great time).

La Zebra packs a real punch in its price range for Tulum, clearly not the least pricey (far from the highest I may add), but provides a raft of nice extra touches, while delivering a great level of comfort and security. I’d go back tomorrow if I could and I have stayed in quite a few places in Tulum.

Finally, thank you Lina, we hope to return.

Room Tip: Don't fuss about trying to get beachfront here, as most of the rooms are very special (even furt...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I love LaZebra. From the amazing beach to the staff.
The cabanas are a true get away. Clean, chic and private. The new entrance is one of the best on the Playa. Beautifully amazing.
Lina's kitchen is my breakfast spot no matter where I stay. Her food is authentic and wonderful. As is she!
Miriam the day manager is wonderful and sure to make your stay amazing.
Because she is!
Let's not forget the drinks. Fresh pressed local sugar cane right there while you watch makes the BEST of all the bars offerings that require something sweet.

Great place for kids too and those traveling solo. Safe, fun, tasty, clean and HAPPY . Did I mention beautiful.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank janofleur
Geoje, South Korea
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Before planning my annual Spring Break I did some research online and stumbled upon La Zebra. Initially my plan was to stay at a fancy 5* resort up in Cancun or Playa del Carmen however it is because of La Zebra that I changed my mind and decided to give Tulum and its rustic "Eco Chic" a try - very much to my pleasure. My stay there with my Dad and brothers was one of the best spring break we have had (better than vegas, miami, etc.) as it met all four of our expectations: 1/ excellent food, 2/ good booze, 3/ chilled out atmosphere and most important 4/ pleasant weather.

The hotel itself is nice, the huts where guests stay are basic (no A/C, TV or fridge for instance, very few electricity plugs), the restaurant offered good enough food and drinks, the personnel was mellow but attentive. The beach is phenomenal, the water fantastic and the cool wind from the sea compensates for the fact that rooms have no A/C. As there is very few outside lights, the sky offered a breathtaking view of the stars at night.

Some older reviews mentioned the lack of security at the entrance of the hotel, my opinion is that Tulum is just not that type of place: as long as you respect the basic travelling rules that apply anywhere in the World (i.e. don't wear jewelry that draws attentions, lock your passport and cash in the room safe, lock the door and close the windows when you leave your room, etc.) you and your belongings will be safe. Besides, between the touristic areas of Tulum and the other areas there are so many patrolling cops and para-military forces that you do get a sense of security.

In a nutshell: Tulum, and more precisely La Zebra, is a place I will definitely come back to in the near future.

Room Tip: Stay the the "Royal Suite" it's worth it
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NassimKefi
London
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at La Zebra at the beginning of April 2012. We had been eagerly anticipating this part of our Yucatan adventure, however the experience did not meet our expectations for the following reasons:
The price was extremely high and yet the service was poor - there was no welcome as such when we arrived and no information was given about the local area, in fact when we asked for information on the surrounding area they couldn't provide any; we were simply shown to our room. Inside the room there was no fresh water in the taps and shower - it was salt water - given that this was supposed to be a luxury experience I was disappointed to find a lack of fresh water, especially as the webiste chose not to mention this. The mosquito net on the bed did not actually fully extend to tuck in under the mattress and was therefore for decoration only. The service from the waiters in the restaurant was extremely slow (however the food, if a little pricey, was actually surprisingly good - well done the chef!). Given the lack of fresh water, the staff could have chosen to supply complementary bottled water - they did not, and a 1 litre bottle cost M$50 (which is 10 times what the same bottle costs in the supermarket).

The beach outside the hotel is excellent, however overall I felt that the management in the hotel weren't interested in creating a unique experience for their guests, and instead were simply happy to take the money and then deliver very average and overpriced service, safe in the knowledge that people will simply stay there because of the Tulum location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Philip W
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2012

we spent a week in la Zebra in jungle cabanas around the pool + canope for my birthday with family & friends. Rooms are very confortable, clean and well decorated. the restaurant & bar are great & the salsa night too! The staff are friendly! great experience!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Benedictelanvin
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I have kept coming back to La Zebra for the same reason, you relax. It is situated on some of the best beach in the world, and offers very few amenities, which is why it is the best place to completely relax.
It is expanding, or as they told me, upgrading. So, as more people find this gem, I will head further down the beach! But just know, if you do make the right choice and go there, it is to relax. And embrace that wonderfully quality. It is a quiet small resort'ish type place, that flourishes when everyone peacefully sips great beverages and takes in the playa!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo