“beautiful place”

La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed March 12, 2012

very nice place, fun atmosphere and good vibe.
sunday night here is a must !!!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed March 8, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here in April 2011 for 4 nights. It was our first trip to Mexico, and we wanted to vacation somewhere that isn’t as crowded or wild as Cancun. Tulum is perfect if you want peace and quiet and aren’t really into the party scene or all-inclusive mega-resorts.

Simply put, we loved this hotel and restaurant! The beach location is perfect because although there are other little hotels nearby, you still feel secluded, like you’re in your own private paradise. We stayed in Unit #2--the best if you ask me! It’s one of the closest to the water and has a FANTASTIC ocean view! Definitely spring for a hut on the beach--waking up right next to the water is spectacular, not to mention you get a nice cool ocean breeze. The further you stay from the water, the hotter it will be! I personally wouldn’t stay in the jungle rooms—it would be too hot/humid because they are all the way across the street.

We ate breakfast daily at La Zebra, and the food never disappointed. I highly recommend their homemade granola! The drinks were also great. There are many restaurants within walking distance, which was nice because we didn’t rent a car. (If you’re just looking to relax and not do a lot of sightseeing, you don’t need one.) We also ate at Om, Casa Violeta, Las Estrellas, and Zamas. All were within walking distance except for Zamas, and all of them had good food and service.

One thing I will mention—if you want luxury (air conditioning, a T.V., etc.) then stay elsewhere. This place is an eco-resort, so don’t expect endless amenities. Also, I second the comments of other reviewers who say there aren’t enough beach umbrellas and lounge chairs. I wish La Zebra would add more! We woke up early each day anyways so we always got a place to lounge with no problem, but if you like to sleep late you could have trouble finding an open chair. The beach never got crowded by any means; you just might miss out on getting one of La Zebra’s comfy chairs.

One last thing--if you’re concerned about traveling to Tulum because you don’t speak Spanish, don’t worry. Almost everyone at La Zebra (as well as surrounding hotels and restaurants) speaks English, so you’ll be fine. I speak fluent Spanish so I wasn’t nervous about the language, but my fiancé only knows a few words in Spanish and was a little worried prior to our trip. He ended up communicating with everyone just fine when I wasn’t around to translate!

Room Tip: Room #2 is the best! It is the second-to-closest room to the ocean and has a panoramic view of the b...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happymango85
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I booked this place for 5 days based on recommendations by two friends of mine without making too much of a background check, since I trust them and thought i share their same style. However I didn't like it at all. Funny how taste can differ.
In all fairness I must admit that we stayed in one of the best hotels of Tulum prior and when we arrived at the front desk there was some party going on. If we hadn't paid the deposit we would have turned around immediately. It seemed really big and touristy, not small sleepy and intimate as you expect from Tulum hotels. Tiedied t-shirts over large American bodies, and Hawaiian shirts was the last thing I wanted to see.
Our little hut (#6) was wonderful though. Very clean (although tiny) and in a simple Mexican style .
The beach however was impersonal (no service) and the lounge chairs were scattered around and not cared for, they are for anyone to grab (even strangers that aren't staying at the hotel), so if you sleep in late, no chairs for you.
It seems that this place cares more for its restaurant than its hotel guests.  They even asked us once during lunch hours to vacate the sofas in the public area since they were reserved for a party. However that sofa stayed empty (with a reserve sign) for another 2 hours.
Although one doesn't need to be afraid of security in Tulum I thought it was strange that the front desk was at the restaurant close to the beach,  so anyone could walk unnoticed into the property. The property itself didn't look as appealing as other places.
Little details annoyed me like an ugly big plastic trash can standing right in front of our hut. The attention to aesthetic details which so many places in Tulum have is completely missing here. For example in most places the trash cans are always hidden behind a nice bamboo casing which blends nicely with ts surrounding and make everything pleasing to the eyes.
The food  was really good, and their service in the restaurant great.
Also, it seems that this place attracts a lot of families with children,  it has a playground and is very kid friendly.
After 5 days we did somehow got used to this place, but it was absolutely not worth the $200 a night, and I rather stay in the nearby smaller hotels that are cheaper but more welcoming and warmer to its customers.

• Stayed: February 2012
8  Thank Juliaandesteban
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I spent five relaxing nights at La Zebra in January, in Cabaña 2 just steps from the water's edge. The cabaña was just what I wanted, comfortable and stylish yet in keeping with the casual beach vibe of Tulum. The welcome bottle of tequila is a nice touch! Ask at the front desk for a beach towel & bag - the bag is a great touch for wandering to other parts of Tulum beach, and I really loved the towels - bright red, huge, and waffle weave instead of terrycloth, so the sand just shook right off!

The beach here is second to none, with comfortable loungers and plenty of palapas for shade. Since the hotel is small, the beach never felt crowded. I do wish there had been beach service from the restaurant - it would have been nice to be able to eat lunch at my lounger. I did see one couple receive drink service on the beach, but it wasn't clear to me if this was the norm.

The food at the restaurant is terrific, especially at breakfast. I found the service to be friendly, but almost excruciatingly slow at times, even by relaxed Mexican standards. More than once I was the only person in the dining room and had to flag someone down to take my order. It was strange - the staff were warm and friendly enough, but sort of, I don't know - inattentive? The front desk staff was very helpful, and Miriam in particular really came through when I had a slight emergency!

I really did love my time at La Zebra, but I don't know if I would return on a solo trip. I enjoyed being left alone to a certain extent, but there was something about the general vibe that made it difficult to connect with staff or other guests. The beach is amazing though, and I would love to come back with friends to enjoy it!

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are great - the first one is a large family sized suite with an outdoor bathroo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank laurelann
Reviewed March 2, 2012

my girl friend and i visited for our aniversary and we ad an amazing time everything was perfect the food mmm chilaquiles are great there for breakfast and then the beach right in front its like baby powder real soft and calypso waters ,the rooms are great and the qualyti of the beds great i will go back for my next aniversary for sure. thanks zebra.

Room Tip: try the rooms beside the restaurant in front of the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ARPONSPEARFISHING
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Was here for 3 nights on a long week end. Staff made me feel very welcome from the start, upgraded me to a beautiful room and gave me the best service. Incredibly friendly and helpful with recommendations/directions throughout my stay. The location is right on the beach, lots of restaurants close by.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sharonblinker
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We spent another week here in January, and as always our expectations were exceeded. The weather was exceptional and the cabana was just like we remembered. Every day since our return teither my wife or I has mentioned how much we love this place and enjoyed our stay. It is truly a special place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple