“Simple and rustic yet comfortable and welcoming”

Los Lirios Hotel Cabanas
Ranked #64 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed November 2, 2013

First of all, let me just say that Tulum is a state of mind. If you plan to come here and expect all the amenities of a full service resort, forget it. This is not the place for you. Come here to get back to basics, relax and just BE. Los Lirios gives you all that you need in a gorgeous setting that will make the stress evaporate upon arrival. The ocean is right outside your door! The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable but very simple (no TV, for example). Personally, I found that the Mexican decorative touches made it that much more charming and I didn't miss a darned thing. I loved the wispy canopy covering the bed, and the hammock on the terrace provided for a feeling of an exotic escape. A/C is a luxury for sure, so I was incredibly grateful to come home to a cool room after being out in the humidity for hours on end (the summer into the early Fall is VERY humid). As I understand it, many hotels don't have A/C round the clock so this was a definite plus. The bed is quite hard but I found myself getting used to it after day 2 or 3, and I ended up sleeping like a baby for the rest of the trip. The water pressure in the shower comes and goes, so expect that. I actually liked it because it meant I could take a longer, more relaxing shower. The power in Tulum is spotty, so don't be surprised by a few short lived outages. And don't bring your own hair dryer because it'll blow a fuse (I learned the hard way). There is a small hair dryer supplied so no need to pack one. It doesn't matter anyway because your hair will be wet the second you step out into the humidity, so what's the point? Also, know that you are only provided one bar of soap per visit (and a small one at that) unless you ask for more. Be sure to ask for a key to the safe in your room; I found a great deal of peace of mind knowing my valuables were secure when I wasn't around.

I thought the complimentary breakfast every morning was a nice touch, but again, it is a simple buffet that doesn't vary much day to day. Coffee, cereal, fruit, tropical fruit water, waffles/pancakes, potatoes and custom made omelets is what you'll find here. The food is a bit above average in general, but I would recommend the ham and cheese sandwich and chicken quesadillas as they are quite tasty. The service can be a little slow but hey, who cares?! That's the point, right? TO SLOW DOWN. I'd also recommend eating at Las Estrellas next door or Ahau Tulum a few resorts down the beach if you have the chance. Papaya Playa (a short cab ride away) is also quite good. All three places have amazing ambiance and charm.

What made the difference between 3 and 4 stars for me was the staff at Los Lirios. Victor and Luz in particular were lovely people to deal with--so friendly and helpful--and they were committed to making sure I had everything I needed at all times...and always with a big smile on their faces. I felt at home almost immediately and that went a long way with me since I was by myself a lot of the time. I had the pleasure of having a massage on the beach (under a hut in front of the hotel) as the waves crashed a short distance away. It costs $70 and I would highly recommend it. You can book it at the front desk and there are several other treatments available as well. My therapist was very skilled and understood exactly what I wanted as I needed him to be careful with my sensitive shoulder.

Unfortunately, I was there on business so I did have to do some work. The only place on site that gets a good wifi signal is the restaurant so I spent a fair amount of time there emailing. It made it a little more tolerable when Happy Hour would come around and I'd get a giant mojito for about 7 dollars. Get the chips, guacamole and pico de gallo while you're at it! After having the pleasure of working here I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to fully accept an office again!

A couple of recommendations for activities: the Tulum ruins, Grand Cenote (underwater cave) and the Tulum Monkey Sanctuary. All three things were truly amazing and awe-inspiring. I can't say enough about the Monkey Sanctuary. As a matter of fact, I'm still on a high from that tour and I plan to write a separate review about it. Not to overdramatize, but it was one of the best experiences in my life. If you are an animal lover/conservationist and are enthralled by our primate friends, this is a MUST do. It's off the beaten path and not a lot of people know about it yet (it's only a year old), so do your research and make it a part of your itinerary if you can.

All in all, a spectacular trip to Tulum. If you want a hotel with a friendly staff but will happily forego the fancy resort bells and whistles in favor of rustic charm, stay at Los Lirios. I look forward to coming back in a year or two. Thanks to everyone at the hotel who made my stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Choose A-D buildings for oceanfront views and second floor units if possible. D building has wifi c...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank jpug2002

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Accomodation was spacious and clean - we had a beach view and at about £39 a night (twin room) was very reasonable. 24h air con was a must when we were there.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Only criticism was the restaurant. We had breakfast included in the price and if you want plasticy "american buffet" food then knock yourself out. Anything beyond cereal, toast or fruit was too much.

Lunch and dinner were of similar very low quality. It wouldn't be such a problem, but with Ziggy's beach bar next door (which frankly could hold it's own in London or New York but at a fraction of the price) it feels like they're not even trying.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jredw
Los lirios t, Director Comercial at Los Lirios Hotel Cabanas, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Hi

Thank you for your comments and thank you too for taking your time and share it with the Tripadvisor community.
It is very satisfying to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and this makes all our work a true pleasure and reaffirms our commitment to provide our best.

We look forward to your return visit soon.

Gracias!!!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel. You won't find a better bargain on the Tulum beach. They are the only hotel to have 24 hour AC. The rooms are clean and spacious. I always stay in a garden view room and it's only a short walk to the beach. The beach is normally excellent. On my most recent visit they had some erosion due to the tropical storm the week before but it was not anything that would make you change your mind about staying here. The beds are what I call "Mexico mattresses" but it was not unbearable. I don't interact that much with the staff but everyone there was nice and friendly. The most crowded day on the beach we counted 18 people including the 4 in our party but most of the time it was far less than that. Breakfast was included and it was nice, nothing fancy but more than adequate. If you want a laid back place to relax and enjoy the beautiful ocean this is the place to go.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Hi!!
Thank you so much for your comments.
Please be sure that your suggestions are taken into considerations.

Best regards for you and your family!
Hasta pronto!
Gracias!!!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

After moving rooms to an upper floor ocean view everything was perfect. Air-conditioned, clean, not too crowded, beautiful beach, amazing coffee and wifi in the restaurant and on beach--not so much in the rooms. Would stay here again. The food next door at ziggy's is really good and the location was perfect walking distance to la zebra and playa azul.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I would say this hotel is average. We knew where we were going so we already had low expectations and had no surprises on that matter; it is an affordable hotel. So, things you need to know:
1. BEDS: the beds are not quite comfortable, the room has two full size beds and that's good, nevertheless I guess the mattress are old as you can feel the spring coils in it, but not all the beds are like that, fortunately one of the beds inside my rooms did not have that problem and I slept on that one.
2.FOOD: The restaurant is good, they have good service, very kind people and the free breakfast was great, few options but those few were really tasty, LOVED IT!
3.SAFETY: It does says on trip advisor that people has been robbed here. I personally did not experience that but one of my friends did. Someone break in into his room and stole his jambox. Can't complain too much, we were warned of it on trip advisor...
4. ROOMS: I liked the rooms, we stayed on ground floor and did not experience any trouble. The cabañas are cute and cozy. I had to work while I was there (so sad), but we got the best cabaña, as tower D, as it is right next to the restaurant catches the Wi-Fi signal, so I did not have to go to the restaurant and was able to work from the comfort of my room. Also, I have light sleep, and there was no noise, so I was able to sleep very well. Yay for that!
5. BATHROOM: average, it is not super duper, it looks a bit old and rural but it was clean. yay for that too.
6. BEACH: The beach is ok, nice, it is always nice to see the sea, nevertheless the beach area was not breathtaking. There are other hotels with better beach area, particularly I loved the beach of La Vita e Bella and it was mostly due to its location. The closer to the ruins, the better the sea.
7: PARKING: you need a car if you are going to Tulum and the hotel had parking area, that was fantastic.
8. A/C: does have, works great, never used it, we were cold due to the rain and the sea.
9: POOL: it is really small, but who needs a pool when you have the sea a few steps away?

Room Tip: If you do need the Wi-Fi to work as I sadly did, ask if tower D is available so you don't have t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Huge suites, perfect location, big terrace with hammock, 24 hour ac and electric, super friendly staff, lush, fragrant tropical landscaping, super charming, beach immediately to the north is the best, rock free, quiet, private, and the best restaurant in Tulum, next door, Ziggys, I am going back. Caveats, couches are uncomfortable, no frig, no coffee maker. I bought a coffee maker and an ice chest and ice, I like my own coffee and yogurt and granola in the morning. And ice for cocktails. Go to San Francisco market in town for these. Also, THE WORST restaurant ever. Don't even bother for a drink. Go to Ziggys Next door for breakfast lunch and dinner, it is amazing. Other than that, no porblemo!

Wifi is currently in the restaurant only so that was a big issue with me, I need to run my business and often had to go to Ziggys next door to get a signal. Very spotty!

Room Tip: Ho ocean front direct away from the restaurant. Also wifi is bad, so go closer to restaurant if tha...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Unfortunately we stayed for only one night, just enough to visit the Tulum Arcaeological site, but we really appreciated the place. Two story cabanas, some with Carribean view, spacious cabanas, with large bed, living room, and a large veranda with relaxing chairs and a hamac.
The place was idyllic.We took many pictures during sunset on the beach.Hoever, there were many mosquitos probably because of the rain season.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple