“Paradise found”
Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
Ranked #10 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Paradise found”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Staying at Ahau Tulum made for a refreshingly unique luxury hotel experience. The calm and cool vibe of Ahau was paired with lovely tropical rustic designed huts and rooms complete with hammocks overlooking the beach. Coming from a foodie, all of the food was excellent- I gladly dined at the hotel every night enjoying delectable fresh fish dishes and perfect wine in a chill, peaceful setting. It felt as if the entire place was my own secret paradise- no sense of being imposed upon by typical luxury hotel pretensions- just pure quality and bliss. The entire stay felt like being in some kind of tropical Eden. Ahau Tulum gets it and does the luxury hotel experience right.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hello!

We want to thank you for the great review recently posted about Ahau. We are glad to hear that you felt that this place was your own secret paradise and that the food and service delighted you. Please come back to your tropical Eden at any time and let us offer you a great experience again. We are very pleased to hear that we fulfilled your Luxury Hotel experience expectations.

Arturo Soto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Ahau Tulum is a wonderful hotel that, for us, combined the adventures of rustic beach living with the luxuries of great service.

The service: Really good! We enjoyed Martin at the restaurant, who was always smiling and remembered our names, and was professional and timely with the food.

Isaul was our server on the beach -- a very charming young man who brought us drinks and lunch while we sunned on the beach.

Everyone at Ahau Tulum is friendly and welcoming. GREAT staff!

The rustic part: In the cabana we stayed in, the shower was a dribble; you're not supposed to flush your toilet paper (there's a garbage can by the toilet); and there's no AC. If these things bother you, Ahau Tulum may not be your perfect destination. However, I must say these issues did not deter or disappoint us. It's like camping on the beach -- except we had a very comfortable bed with mosquito netting and oscillating fan. Some of our friends complained about no Air Conditioning, and all I can say is this: Some people can't live without it, and some people prefer not to have it. (I prefer NOT to run A.C. -- especially at the beach!!) There were so many beach winds whipping through our cabana, we could sometimes "blow dry" ourselves after taking a shower! It was lovely.

I really can't stress how wonderful our stay at Ahau Tulum was. Somehow, we felt pampered and rustic all at once.

Room Tip: #2 was upstairs cabana where we stayed. Lovely view; a little close to the restaurant so you can hea...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello!

We want to thank you for the excellent review recently posted about Ahau, this is very important for us and all our future guests because they will be able to have better look of where are they going to spend their vacations. We are very happy to hear that you liked our service and our staff and in special Martin’s and Isaul service at the restaurant and at the beach. We are glad to hear also that you enjoyed your room and the natural breeze from the ocean and beach. We would like to make you feel pampered any other time at Ahau on your next visit to Tulum.

new york city
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have been bringing our annual yoga retreats (and our friends and family) to Ahau since their opening week. Inez and then entire Ahau crew are flexible and fabulous, friendly and always ready and willing to make our stay the best one yet. The massage and spa services are decadent, rivaled only by the pure relaxing influence of the white sand and turquoise waters of Tulum. The new temescal is magical.

Our next retreat is already booked...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hello,

We want to thank you for the great review recently posted about Ahau. We are grateful to hear that the retreat you attended this year fulfilled all your needs as the others and that Ines and all Ahau’s staff were willing to make your stay the best one and that you perceived it. Moreover, we are happy that the spa services and the new Temazcal pleased you and also the white sand and turquoise waters of Tulum. We cannot wait to offer you a great service again on your next retreat.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've never written one of these reviews before but I felt the team at Ahau is well deserving of a RAVE review. I have never felt so at home so quickly and it was all thanks to the wonderful team at AHAU. They really impressed me.....Not only is the hotel extremely well maintained...The people make this paradise of Tulum even more heavenly. They don't talk to you in "role" or speak to you with disconnect. They really get to know you and take attention to detail FAST. After a few days I would walk into the common area and my morning water with fresh squeezed lemon was served to me without even asking (ALWAYS WITH A SMILE MIGHT I ADD) and everyone new my name....

I originally came for my friends’ wedding which was EXCEPTIONALLY DONE by the in house wedding planner Neisha...I mean so perfect, NO FLAWS! I'm a New Yorker and have high expectations and honestly she did an upstanding beautiful Job. They’re lucky to have her. My dear friend was more than impressed. Then, after the wedding I ended up loving it so much I stayed for 3 more weeks! Even after exploring other areas and spots in Tulum, AHAU was by far the best!!! The rooms are unreal, but the common space is perfect.. Everything you would want when you think “luxury beach vacation” but without the pompous attitudes. Looking right out onto the water you can eat, drink, read and enjoy friends in the warm breeze, and even watch the sunset over the jungle on their watchtower….

Excellent food ( love the shrimp tacos*****) Thanks to Roberto's unreal Pineapple Salsa...and inexpensive fresh natural juices!!! Don’t even want to talk about the desserts because I now DREAM of them lol… Ines and Chenzu are the in house yoga instructors--- Very restorative practice but they move to your individual skill level and preference... They inspired me in more ways than one. Okay now here's what blew my mind......Not sure if I should share this even ( wink wink, I don’t want any old tourists flooding it) but when I walked outside of my palapa AHAU offers Tulum’s ONLY on site secret raw food hut!!! Amazing fresh recipes......I couldn’t believe how well versed and knowledgeable they all were...even foraging on the AHAU property for special super foods! I can honestly say it was nice to see a team of all different types of people working together in unison- they all had SPIRIT that was the commonality- They acted like one giant family….Many of the owners/investors were on site mingling....JP, Pepe, Arturo.....and to name a few. Meant a lot to see how on hands they all were, taking the time to really make the space be full of light and energy. They were all kind, generous, curious, and extremely welcoming. They made sure all of my needs were met and went ABOVE AND BEYOND! Jill the onsite manager had the most humble and gracious heart. Just a real genuine person, taking care of everyone...and the team running the office- Pamela, Alison, and Ari were professional, smart and kind. They are the bones of AHAU…All the servers made me laugh and smile every day- Alex, Joel, Victor, Alexis, Isaul, Gerardo and last but not least the two WONDERFUL WONDERFUL men Paris and Marco!! Both were really so special... They really worked with their hearts, and were very on top of it.

Overall the energy at AHAU MADE my experience in Tulum one that I will remember for a very long time….in fact I’m going to make sure I come back. It’s truly the people and the memories that make your journey… Besides the amazing service personally, they also offer great excursions…. Mauricio and Rocio run the day trips and kite surfing on site and they just have the most fun-! There’s massage, readings of all sorts’ reflexology and daily yoga…I mean what more could you ask for. Wake up, get your fresh juice, lay in the sun while they continue to serve you all day, sweep your feet in the silky sand and enjoy the simplicity of the beach life---UNSURPASSABLE.
It’s also located on the best drag- close to some of the nicest restaurants and nightlife in Tulum. If you want a luxury hotel in Tulum that actual has SPIRIT and CHARACTER choose AHAU.
Much Love to the AHAU team
Ali

Room Tip: ALL ROOMS ARE SERIOUSLY DIVINE----fall asleep to the sounds of the waves!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank alimeow
Hello,

We want to thank you for the marvelous review recently posted about Ahau. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed this paradise for three weeks and we cannot be happier to know that our staff and vibe pleased you and fulfilled all you expectations. It is great to hear that you had a great time during Rebeca’s wedding and we thank you for then nice comments about Nisia our wedding planner as well as for the comments about Chen Zu and Ines our yoga instructors. In addition, it is wonderful to hear that our food seasoning and presentation and our Chef Roberto made you happy as well as our raw food options in the “hidden garden”. Thank you for the awesome comments about our restaurant service and staff, Alex, Joel, Victor, Alexis, Isaul, Gerardo, Marco and our restaurant manager Paris will be so pleased to serve you when you come back. Our front desk staff, Jill, Ari, Allison and Pamela thank you also for the great opinion you have about them and be sure that all the Ahau family will be ready to offer you a wonderful stay any time you come back as we fell that you will be part of this family always.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had a nice stay at Ahau overall, but I wasn't wow'ed like other reviewers. One night we stayed in a room with AC and a bathroom, which was very nice and comfortable. The bed and sheets were great. Another night we stayed in a Bali Hut (with an outdoor bathroom), which was simple and met our needs. So we had the best of both worlds. The suite is definitely the way to go if you can afford it. We stayed in the hut to save a little money and because the suite was not available for our entire stay. We had a problem with our safe in the Hut room where we are staying, so we needed them to help us with it. We also had a problem with the lock on the door in the suite, which they needed to come out and fix. Security could be an issue being that the suites and huts are spread out and not connected and we didn't want to leave our valuables unsecured. With the Hut was a little strange to go outside to take a shower and use the toilet. The toilet is kind of like a portapotty inside a hut and it is really strange to use it at night. The one night it stormed and so there was no way you could go outside to use the toilet if you had to.

If you want to splurge, then go for it! You will love the suites, being right on the beach, it is fairly quiet, and the food is good if you want to have a meal or snacks there.

Room Tip: The toilet and shower for the Bali Huts are OUTSIDE - in a hut - but you have to be prepared for it...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tripgal926
Hello,

We want to thank you for the comments about Ahau. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed one of our suites with AC and also one of our Bali Huts, definitely, the options are totally different and truly they are two different worlds, however, most of our guests already know where they are going to stay as our web page explains perfectly the layout of our rooms, this being said, some guests prefer the natural and relaxed option of a Bali hut as others like more luxury during their stay no matter the price difference. We are happy that you enjoyed the food and we apologize because the safe and door were need to be fixed. I hope you give us the opportunity to be at your service any next time you visit Tulum.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Just returned from a yoga retreat at Ahau and am still dreaming about it. The service, room, food, view and vibe were all a combination of luxurious yet down to earth, healthy yet indulgent and most of all totally relaxing. Our host Inez is a true gem, she set everything up perfectly. Even though there is an amazing space to do yoga in the loft of their main lobby, she even went as far as having an additional yoga space built right on the beach for us so we could practice next to the water's edge if we wanted. She and the rest of the staff made us feel like old friends and family and we were all sad to leave them and this magical place. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Room #3 has it's own porch and hammock and comes with a private cabana on the beach. You cannot...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hello,

We want to thank you for all the nice and kind comments posted recently about Ahau. We are glad that the service, room, food and the hotel’s vibe pleased you and surpassed your expectations. Moreover, we are happy that Ines fulfilled all your needs during the retreat and that our portable yoga platform placed on the beach pleased you too. The Ahau family will be happily waiting for you on your next visit to Tulum.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2014

What a pleasure to stay at Ahau, a real tropical PARADISE !!!! Instantly upon arrival the staff make you feel at ease and definately on vacation as they are attentive and very charismatic. The architecture and overall design is exotic and elegant, seemingly simple but really well designed with a great attention to detail. The views offer that of the spectacular sea and from the water tower a welcoming platform where one can sit with other guests and watch the sunset. We stayed in a Bali hut falling asleep to the gentle sound of the waves everynight.
Early morning beach walks followed by yoga classes with Ines are the best mornings I have had in the longest time. She is a strong yoga teacher that will accompany you to push yourself just enough and get through her class smiling.
The food at Ahau just makes you feel soooooo good. The cinammon oatmeal in the moring, the tuna tostadas at lunch, the fresh fruit juices and refreshing coconut water... all their ingredients are fresh, the dishes well presented and the food simply delicious. After only a few days at Ahau I felt much healthier and rejuvenated. I cannot wait to go back!!!! Thank you Ahau, until we meet again!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ZakaBB
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hello,

We want to thank you for the nice review recently posted about Ahau. It’s a pleasure to know that you enjoyed one of our Bali Huts and the hotel’s architecture.We are so glad to hear that Ines fulfilled your needs at Yoga lessons and that you enjoyed the restaurant food seasoning and presentation as well as the staff service. In addition, we are very happy to hear that you felt healthier and rejuvenated. We will be waiting for you when you come back to Tulum and to Ahau.