“Best view on earth”
Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
Ranked #7 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed 5 days at MASTER SUITE BEACH LEVEL, amazing nothing compared to waking up in paradise. Marco the rest. manager and his partner (sorry forgot name) are super friendly, reception staff is amazing

Room Tip: Stayed 5 days at Ahau - MASTER SUITE BEACH LEVEL #1, The food, I was reading about prior to coming I...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Hello!

We want to thank you for the excellent review posted about Ahau Tulum and also because you are sharing this with everybody helping our future guests to have a better view of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed one of our Master Suites and the beautiful beach we offer to our guests, in addition, we are glad to hear that Marco and Paris our restaurant Manager fullfilled your expectations as well as our front desk staff. We really hope that you will be here in Ahau as a guest again in a near future!

Arturo Soto

Write a ReviewReviews (1,028)

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Ahau is a lovely family, with room for all sorts of people to relax and play in harmony.

I stayed both in the cheapest option, in a Bali Hut with shared bath for my one night before my friends arrived, and for the rest of my stay in a truly devine Jr Suite with private bath. In both cases the facilities are top notch/rustic with simple creative flair.

The staff is very responsive and caring, and maintain a lighthearted and competent attitude. I've never been so warmly, yet not cloyingly, embraced as a guest. I miss Jill, Ari, Paris, Marco, and Alison already!

The commitment to environmental stewardship is commendable from such a full-service place. It was so wonderful that I wasn't offered a single disposable product. And the commitment to community support with the Sunday markets is also fun and inspiring.

The menu is diverse and healthy, but could use a little more local flair, perhaps - but I'm no gourmande. The 3x a day yoga and classes are welcome! But don't try to go too deep, because the studio is situated right over the restaurant - quite distracting! Also the view from the yoga studio is so powerfully beautiful I found it very hard to concentrate on my practice. The teachers were knowledgeable, talented, kind, generous and funny. But for serious yoga, go across the street. I took advantage of the in-room massage services. There were many styles to choose from, and all very tastefully done and very healing. There's also a massage hut by the beach which must be wonderful to be in. When it wasn't used, I used it for meditation. :)

The beach and beach scene is nearly indescribable. It's luxurious without being elite. It's humane and spiritual without being weird. It's great for singles, couples, families and groups up to10 because, well, it feels like family - there's the right space for everyone. I'm certainly eager to come back again with friends, or on a romantic getaway, or with my own little family if I should be so lucky.

Ahau, Tulum! See you again soon, I hope!

Room Tip: If noise is an issue for you, don't stay in room 13. The Bali Huts are just for sleeping and ch...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Judd M

Hello!

We want to thank you for the recently marvelous review about Ahau Tulum and also because you are sharing this with our future guests and they will have a better view of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We are committed to fulfill all of our guests needs and we are always working to exceed their expectations. We are very happy to hear that the Ahau family and our social and environmental commitment was something you appreciated. Everybody and the staff that you kindly mentioned will be waiting for you with open arms when you come back to Ahau!!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Ahau is probably the best place to stay along the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan!
It's Indonesian style buildings are all at tree height, making it blend with nature and the local habitat. Magnificent bird-song fills the air at dawn, filtered light and an ocean breeze make for a comfortable climate in the restaurant, yoga and lounge areas. The rooms are all different and luxurious. The towel art is exquisite and the staff are friendly and helpful.
Ahau is a romantic getaway, a family adventure or a solitary chill out. The clear blue water of the Caribe is steps away, and comfortable lounge chairs and beach towels are available for guests. Beach service by super efficient waiters is available all day!
The restaurant must be the best kept secret around, as we didn't have to wait in line to get a spectacular meal at any given time.
Ahau is one of the only hotels to give a fair exchange for your money, too.
Go to Ahau and get re-charged and relaxed! You'll be happy you chose Ahau!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello!

We want to thank you for the spectacular review you posted about Ahau Tulum and also because you are sharing this with our future guests and they will have a better view of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We are committed to fulfill all of our guests needs and we are always working to exceed their expectations. It is great to receive such nice and pleasant comments about our environment and staff and about the restaurant and Yoga studio, we are grateful to have guests that really enjoyed their stay in Ahau and we hope that you can include us as your bi-annual visit in Mexico as you mentioned in the review, be sure that we will be waiting for you to surpass your expectations always.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was my second trip down to Tulum, this time as a single traveler. If you are looking for a home base to see the ruins, snorkel in cenotes, and enjoy a relaxing atmosphere not packed with tourists, Tulum is it. Ahau is a gorgeous boutique hotel (eco-minded as many are in this area) along the beach that has a variety of accomodations - some on the lower end that accomodate a couple or single traveler, and luxury accomodations for larger groups or couples enjoying a romantic stay. I stayed in the Bali Hut, and I loved the outdoor shower and enjoying walking around barefoot in powder white sand the entire time. I felt very connected to nature, and it was a welcome break from the traffic and pollution of Mexico City. Jill and the rest of the front desk staff are so friendly and go out of the way to interact with guests outside of check in/check out. The restaurant staff is equally as warm, and you can tell they are committed to providing a great experience to guests during their stay. Besides the gorgeous strip of beach the hotel is situated on, the staff really elevates this boutique hotel above a lot of places I have stayed at throughout my travels. The food is also outstanding - fresh and healthy - which is unusual because I have found that most hotels provide a mediocre selection of items at best. I found myself eating a lot of my meals here (or on the beach!). They offer a variety of activities (yoga, kitesurfing, paddleboarding), but this time around, I found myself unwinding on the beach with a book or in the lobby the majority of the time. I highly recommend staying at Ahau, and I am planning to make this an annual, if not bi-annual trip, while I live in Mexico. It is hard for the positive, peaceful vibe of this place not to rub off on you during your stay. I only wished I could have spent more time here!

Room Tip: For solo travelers I definitely recommend the Bali huts!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Hello!

We want to thank you for the great review that you posted about Ahau Tulum and also because is a glimse for our future guests and then they can have a better view of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We are committed to fulfill all of our guests needs and we are always working to exceed their expectations. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed one of our Bali Huts and the tranquility of Ahau as well as the beach, food, restaurant and activities. We are pleased to know that Jill and the front desk staff made your stay more comfortable and be sure we will waiting for you when you come back to offer then best service.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I loved my stay at Ahua. The staff was warm, friendly, professional and accommodating. I stayed in a Bali Hut and loved the outdoor bathroom/shower. The indoor/outdoor open air dining and lounge area was cozy and comfortable with a gorgeous view of the ocean. The food was fresh, flavorful and wholesome. I spent most of time barefoot walking from the beach, yoga platform, dining area and Bali hut. It was clean and well cared for.
I was there for a yoga retreat with 14 other women and we all enjoyed therapeutic massages, yoga, meditation and other interesting classes on site. We hired a guide, Mauricio, who took us to a cenote for stand up paddle boarding, snorkeling and lunch in Tulum. Some of our group went to the Mayan Ruins down the road and some took a boat ride through the Sian Ka'an Biosphere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank IndyEwald

Hello,

We want to thank you for the excellent opinion that you have about Ahau Tulum and also because our future guess will be able to read in advance what they can enjoy in our hotel. We remember of course the Yoga retreat and all the ladies enjoying the platform on the beach and the restaurant. We are glad that Mauricio did a great job with your tours and also we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed Tulum surroundings as the ruins and then Biosphere. We invite you to come back to Ahau at any time hoping this can be in a near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Let me just start off by saying Tulum is the most amazing place ever. We stayed in Playa Del Carmen a week and Tulum a week and wished we had spent our whole time in Tulum for the relaxation. We went in January which is supposed to be the high season but seemed very quiet which was perfect. We stayed in a junior suite top level and it was just breathtaking! Perfect breeze all the time, beautiful decor and beautiful view. It was a little more then we are used to spending but we are already planning on booking again this year. Everything about Ahua is relaxing. The main common area is just so cozy especially at night with amazing couches to kick back on with great food and drinks. My only small issue would be is it seems that there are friends or locals that come hang out there a lot and sometimes there wasnt room on the couches to sit and as a paying guest it would have been nice. And every now and then we would not get waited on even with a lot of employees and we would have to ask for service but that doesnt change how much we love it there. I'm assuming with trip advisor they see these reviews and can work on it. Ahua in my opinion is the most beautiful place on the whole beach. Lots of hammocks and beds on the beach and you can feel comfortorable to go topless if you would like. The vibe is very relaxed which is what im assuming is what most people are looking for in a vacation. They also offer Yoga upstairs in the common area which is really nice. And if your looking for a great smoothie or juice this is the place. We actually found it hard to leave Ahua to go do other things on our trip..we would have been fine just hanging out there the whole time. But we did rent some bikes which were really nice to. Make sure to bike down to Mateo's for their amazing fish tacos to every now and then! The location of Ahua is perfect and central to everything you need. All I can say is Ahua is very relaxing and it's feels like home. We would live there if we could. :)

Room Tip: I think any room at Ahua is a good room. Even their 60.00 rooms I would stay in.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello!

We want to thank you for the wonderful review that you posted about Ahau Tulum, this comments are important fpor us because our future guests will be able to have a better idea of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We are committed to fulfill all of our guests needs and we are always working to exceed their expectations. We are glad that you enjoyed your top level suite and the meals and service as well as the hammocks, smothies and juices. We want appologize about the lack of space in the lounging area, we promise the next time you visit this will not happen as we will be sure to have always a space for you. Hopefully we can serve you at any time again as we will love to see you back soon in Ahau Tulum.

Warm regards,

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Ahau was a great choice for me and my girlfriend, the location is great you can walking distance to the bars and restaurants. The restaurant at ahau has amazing food, beach front and great service. They also have kitesurfing lesson i recomend taking one..

• Stayed: January 2014

Hello,

We want to thank you for the review posted recently about our hotel Ahau Tulum. We are very happy that you enjoyed our restaurant and our beach. Kite surfing is a must in our hotel and we are glad that you enjoyed. All this reviews are very helpful for future guests because they can have an idea of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We hope to see to see you soon back in Ahau!