“Incredible!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Freestone, California
“Incredible!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

First of all, the Restaurant: Not only was the food incredible, but the staff was excellent. We can't emphasize enough how good the food and service where at Ahau. So good in-fact that we chose to eat there for almost every meal. There are plenty of other good restaurants around too. Best meal we had at Ahau: Octopus and Lobster Tacos. Amazing. The barista pulling the espresso shots did an excellent job too....

Next, the Rooms: Wow. Beautiful and clean. This hotel is in an excellent location along a gorgeous stretch of beach, and the first picture I always show to my friends is of the room. We stayed in two different rooms. Each had it's own balcony and hammock. Private and heavenly. It was pretty much like staying in a magazine cover.

Lastly, the Setting - Hotel and Beach: The beach is so soft that it's like flour, and the water is warm and wonderful. We've traveled to many beach locations, and this one is ideal. It's everything you want in a beach. Also, there are a variety of places to sit - great double-sized comfortable, thick pads to lay on, hammocks, umbrellas if you want them, etc. The common area of the hotel is very nice and comfortable. Wifi is good. Atmosphere is great. We loved it all.

All-in-all. We'd stay at Ahau again and again - and hope to soon.

Room Tip: We recommend the Junior Suite top-level. (I'm sure the Master Suites are excellent too.) We can...
1 Thank katemrowe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed five nights and can't wait to return for another slice of life on this beautiful beach. The two-year-old accommodations are especially pleasing and well-maintained, yet eco-friendly and simple. In the restaurant, Chef Robert Vilchis offers exceptional dishes made with the freshest of ingredients and a sophisticated use of the flavors that come from the Mexican market. Marco Garcia supervises the front of the house, insuring attentive and genial service at the table. Enjoy Ahau, as we did.

Room Tip: The junior suites are a good value.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I rarely write reviews. I have an inactive yelp account with only two reviews, and I previously signed up for a tripadvisor account to give glowing praise to a hostel in Peru that emailed me when I left my prescription glasses behind. So this should give you an idea of how much Ahau motivated me to take action.

I came to Tulum with my boyfriend and his friends, a husband and wife who have never traveled outside the US. The newb wife chose Ahau. (To give an example of their "newb" delusion, the couple insisted we could bike from Ahau to Punta Allen, despite: (1) the distance, 26km or 25ish miles, one way; (2) the local cab driver, who forewent taking our money and recommended we rent a jeep because of (3) all the potholes and dirt road; and (4) numerous forums that say a car drive takes 2.5ish hours, one way. The husband also did not wear sunscreen the first day (uhh, we're at the BEACH) and was severely burnt with swollen feet such that he sat out of most activities for the remaining 5 days.)

We stayed in a two story Bali Hut, with my boyfriend and I in the top hut, and the husband and wife in the bottom hut. This is Ahau's most economical choice for 67-68USD per night. The hut is made of wood and straw, which contained a full sized bed with about 3 feet on the side of each bed. Bathroom is shared with the room on the ground (sand) floor and is located behind the room on the ground floor. Fine, expected that from their website.

Again, my fault for not looking into this more -- THE BATHROOM IS OUTSIDE. Sink is outside, meaning if it rains, which it did when we were there, YOU and all your toiletries WILL GET WET. The mirror above the sink is the only mirror in your lodging (none in the bali huts), so if you have contacts, be prepared to use the guest or restaurant bathroom otherwise sand/rain will get everywhere.

The toilet is a GLORIFIED PORTER POTTY. This "toilet" is enclosed with "walls" and a "ceiling" made of straw with holes. While using glorified porter potty at 2am, I saw a 3" scorpion. After you do your business, you scoop some hamster shedding down the hole next to the toilet. Maybe because it rained at night, but we could smell feces/urine in the hut. The plus? They do clean this glorified porter potty every day. Again, my fault for not understanding what "dry toilet" meant on their website.

The shower is also outside but does have a clear plastic roof over it covered in vine. This outside part, again, is a hassle, because you trek through sand from your hut to the shower; shower in COLD WATER (they tried diligently to fix it but couldn't until the last day); and then trek back in sand, upstairs, to your hut, where you're covered in sand again and get it all over your room and bed. They do sweep your hut and make your bed every day and give you new towels if you ask, but THEY DO NOT CHANGE YOUR SHEETS. You will be stuck with sandy sheets during your stay.

The hut was a bit muggy and humid. The bed is covered with mosquito mesh, which had a hole such that I pinned it closed with hair clips and a bobby pin. There is a fan in the mosquito mesh that keeps you cooler while you sleep, but it blows hard and inconsistently. You're stuck between keeping the fan off and suffocating, or keeping the fan on and not being able to sleep because of how it blows. The hut, too, has holes, and I think I carried some sand mites (and hopefully not bed bugs) home because I was bitten at home a couple times as well.

The workers at Ahau are extremely nice and kind but not very knowledgeable about Tulum. You're better off doing some research on your own on what to do or how much things should cost. E.g., when traveling, I generally like to check with locals at the hotel as to how much cab fare should cost. In one instance, one worker told us 150 pesos, one way, to Akumal Bay, another one told us 550 pesos. Neither were correct and forums were right -- we got one for $30USD one way.

The best parts about Ahau are: (1) the restaurant; (2) FREE water; and (3) very good WiFi. Other places charge for water, or you can go to the supermarket. Food is absolutely delicious and reasonably priced compared to other places in Tulum (which is not cheap), and the waitstaff was wonderful.

The location is great (you're RIGHT on the beach), and maybe our experience would have been different if we chose a pricier room. However, even some of the pricier rooms do not have AC. From what I understand after doing some research and talking with others (a little too late), you can generally find something else for about the same price as Ahau, that is also on the beach, with indoor plumbing, hot showers, WiFi, and AC.

Last bit of advice -- Ahau told my boyfriend it was 220USD for hotel shuttle service, round trip, for two people, or 250USD, round trip, for four people, if you're flying into Cancun. You're better off using USA Transfers, which is $145 round trip for two people, and is extremely punctual and organized. The newb couple used the hotel shuttle service, which forgot to pick them up for 2 hours at the Cancun airport.

In short, I'd probably choose to stay somewhere else but come back for the restaurant.

7 Thank Tammy C
Newaygo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I really appreciated the variety of rooms here with 23 in all. My sister and family stayed in the beach front rooms,( most expensive), we stayed in a bali hut, (most reasonable), and our daughter stayed in a guest room (cheap), a very thoughtful approach to accommodating guests. We totally appreciated their approach to water, you will find no plastic bottles here, totally refreshing. We were at Ahau Tulum for a wedding and they really met all our needs in a most relaxed setting. Breakfasts and specialty fruit drinks were a real treat. Meeting the owner and yoga were additional highlights. The beach is outstanding as well as the swimming.

Room Tip: If you can afford to splurge all the beach front rooms were outstanding.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kathy M
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

My new husband and I have traveled all over the world, when we already had a place in Jamaica to get married, by accident we walked in Ahau Tulum and that is the end of the story. Three months later we had the best wedding we could have ever imagine to have. They treated all our guests and us as family. Marco the restaurant manager is now part of our family, thanks for taking care of my parents that were staying in another hotel. They are just genuine people and the place is just paradise. The 100 people that came were in shocked of the service for the 5 days, these people didn't even sleep to make sure we had a smile on our face. The rooms are from another world, the food is outstanding, we ended up changing our tickets and staying one more week, and no is not our honeymoon yet. Impossible to leave. Top three on my travels. Will come back in 2 months already booked! Thank you Ahau

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carelicita
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

One of the most beautiful places I have ever been! Not only is this place beautiful, it's clean, the staff was so friendly, helpful and the food was delicious. My husband and I also had the best massages we have ever had!
The beach was amazing with gorgeous Aqua blue water and the softest white sand. You will NOT BE disappointed if you book your stay here.
Also a short walk down the street is a great restaurant called Heartwood it's pricey but so worth it!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I will start with this i did not stay at this resort, they were fully booked when I tried to get a room. However I was there for a wedding taking place at this hotel and it was fully booked by the wedding party and all wedding guests so I ended up spending 80% of my time hanging out here when I was not on an adventure exploring the city.

I was initially hesitant, disappointed & down and not expecting to enjoy myself this weekend mostly because the lady in my life was unable to make it. However with her encouragement and support I came anyway primarily to support two of my closest friends who got married here and be a part of this momental occasion in their lives. Well I am so glad I did, this was an AMAZING experience!!! A lot of that I credit to the Ahau Tulum

Ahau Tulum was perfect setting for not only a wedding but a getaway for family and friends. If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton, W or a high end all inclusive resort this is not for you, if however you are looking to relax let your hair down and live life the way it was meant to be enjoyed with simple comforts this is the city and place for you. The rooms are simplistically superb, very comfortable and has all your basic needs without extra stuff you don't need on a vacation anyway.

Kudos to the ENTIRE staff for hosting and creating one of the most magical weddings I have even been a part of in one of the most magical places I have ever been. I even got a chance to meet David the owner who is the creator of this beach paradise so inspired by his vision, his story. I will miss the amazing love and camaraderie I shared with many of the staff and the lobster tacos. The things that really stuck out to me was the willingness and effort to make everyone happy, no one locks their doors, everyone says hello and treats you like a long lost friend, the trust, I mean those who were there on my last night know about me needing to move my luggage from my hotel to this hotel for my airport shuttle pick up and a car was loaned to me, really?? where does that ever happen??? The simplicity of it all, the calming and relaxing vibe, the real "organic" meals, ammmm did I mention the lobster tacos lol. It was like a step back into the way the world should be.

I hope to return soon to share this with my lady and others close to me.

Tulum thank you, you will never be forgotten and hard to top, I leave with a smile in my heart......

Room Tip: While you are there a day trip to the Cenotes and a trip to Chichen Itza is highly suggested, and th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends