“Great choice in Tulum”
Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at Ahau Tulum for 4 days in July. Our room was a junior suite on the second floor, had a partial view of the ocean and tons of sea breezes. I would seriously suggest taking a place with air conditioning for July and a lot of mosquito repellent. It is very hot and humid and things are fine as long as the breeze is there but the minute you are out of the breeze area - its oppressive.

Things I loved about it Ahau Tulum -
1. Perfect location in the middle of the hotel strip at the beach. The beach is fantastic at this point (no horrible sea weed or rocks as down the beach).
2. The restaurant: The food is very good and the staff at the restaurant are super friendly and caring. It's pricey as anywhere else in Tulum - at least here you are facing the ocean and have a great breeze the whole time (not something you can say about the other restaurants across the road)
3. Mauricio - we toold kite surfing lessons with Mauricio and went snorkeling with him to Casa Cenote. A must do! He is the friendliest and the best.
4. Nothing like getting drinks and coconuts delivered at the beach. After you are done with the coconut juice, the staff will cut up the coconut meat and bring it back with red chilii and lime (the best!).

What I didnt love as much:
1. The acro-yoga class - the acrobatics are really unnecessary. Poor Pitanjali is rolling in his grave!
2. The rooms were expensive - the next time i will go with the first floor suites/rooms as they don't have the huge volume to cool. Make sure there is air conditioning in July!
3. The staff at the reception gave us some incomplete/mis leading information about the bus to Cancun airport. They could have been more helpful/friendly in general.

Overall, I would stay here when I go back to Tulum. Just not in July...

Room Tip: Go with the ground floor suites facing the ocean
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sid_brooklyn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,055)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our six-day stay at Ahau was perfect. The location is a dream, the hotel is excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful.

Though the whole hotel is build on sand, the sand did not annoy me at any time. The rooms were kept clean. We had some bali huts, what was perfect for our purpose and portemonnaie. A bali hut consists of two rooms, these share an outside bathroom. As it was always warm while we were staying, that was no problem at all.
Ahau provides many small details, which also improve the stay: free beach towels, many hammocks, water basins to wash the feet, wellness-offers, yoga classes, a view point... also the attached restaurant serves very good food. The only negative thing: the serving of breakfast takes very long. Though we were the only guests at that time, we waited around 20 minutes for cappuchino. Even when we informed the waiter that we are in a hurry to go for a hotel-organized tour, we waited 45 minutes for our breakfast. And this was definately not due to busy times. Sometimes, we saw our coffee standing on the bar for minutes.
Next to Ahau, there are several very good restaurant which don't let you wait for such a long time.

But the Ahau Hotel is PERFECT and we would love to come back one day.

Room Tip: Bali Huts are also ok to share with a friend, if you don't dare sleeping in one bed and don'...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I didn’t stay at this hotel (we stayed two doors down at Pico Beach/ Akiin Beach Club, which he found on airbnb), but we logged in many hours at Ahau Tulum for a destination wedding we attended. The beach area is beautiful, the staff was friendly/helpful, and the ceviche was amazing. Friends who stayed at the hotel said that the bottom floor rooms have air conditioning (which was the room they stayed in), while the top floor rooms do not.

The room I saw (room 3) looked nice and comfortable- there was a big bed with a mosquito net surrounding it, large counter space in the bathroom area, and it was RIGHT on the beach with a wrap-around porch area that included hammocks and a picnic table. The hotel did a beautiful job with the wedding and I would recommend it as a relaxing place to enjoy Tulum, the ruins, and cenotes.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Ahau Tulum is a beautiful, relaxing place. We stayed in a junior suite - the second floor of a palapa with partial view of the ocean. We had a nice breeze from the ocean, which is essential if you are staying in Tulum in the summer months, as we did. Everywhere except right on the beach was so hot and humid it was almost suffocating. Our room had a new air conditioning system which was not entirely efficient and leaked all over the place but did the trick - and to be fair it is nearly impossible to efficiently cool down a palapa. The beach right in front of the hotel is particularly beautiful - we noticed that other locations could be rocky or had lots of seaweed, but we had fine white sand and clear water. The staff is super friendly (especially the restaurant staff) and the restaurant is nice, with a good breakfast selection. They also offer a range of activities, yoga classes everyday, wind-surfing lessons, paddleboarding and various excursions. My only reservation is that, as everywhere else in Tulum, the hotel is a bit expensive for what you get. We paid close to New York prices, in the low season, for a room that was not properly air-conditioned and breakfast is NOT included - not exactly a great deal, but just a glance at the view and all these thoughts will instantly disappear!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is my second stay at Ahau, though I've visited the restaurant many times (they have great wi-fi). It's a relatively newer property on the Tulum beach (under 2 years old), but it completely embraces the Tulum vibe and has won a place in my heart. The beds are amazing, the decor is wonderful (a casually elegant but rustic style), shower pressure and temperature is terrific (sometimes the hot water might take a few minutes to come but once there, it's hot!), and I have to say that having the a/c option is pretty nice as well especially in summer (only lower units have a/c, just fyi). The fans are also very effective; you can really do without the a/c in every month of the year except the hottest nights and enjoy the wonderful ocean breezes. I stayed in a master suite last summer, a jr. suite this summer (this year I wanted to try the a/c, and it was nice), but the Bali Huts are a great budget option and I'd like to try one of those someday.

The beach is spectacular, of course, and the beach furniture is great. I love how widely spaced the groupings are, allows for privacy even when the beach is full (happily they have a very wide stretch of beach, much larger than many other hotels), and I really liked the hammocks right at the water's edge under a shade structure--I spent many happy hours in one of those. During turtle nesting season (summer), they stack the chairs to clear the way to allow the mamas to get up and do their thing. I really appreciated that they did this--some hotels don't and the turtles end up getting blocked when they run into chairs.

All that is great, but what I really love about Ahau, and what will keep me coming back, is the staff. The service is great, warm and friendly but professional, and I feel welcome every time I walk in even if I don't see anyone I know there. And the food is amazing. As many have mentioned, Eggs Ahau is a must at least once, I ended up having it twice because I just couldn’t resist. I ordered it with some of their excellent goat cheese on the side, and I feel it’s a great combination. I love the shrimp tacos (there’s a spicy pineapple salsa/chutney that comes with) and the tuna tartare, but one of my favorite dishes of the entire trip was the Fish Diablo. Not super-spicy as many places do “diablo”, this had just enough heat to keep it interesting, but you can taste all of the different flavors in the sauce. Fantastic.

OK, I could probably go on for a few more paragraphs, I’m open to questions.

Room Tip: Choose the room that fits your budget, they're all great. Lower units on the beachfront have a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Came with a group of 7 girls for a bachelorette trip. Roxana at the front desk was super accommodating. We got 2 Master Suites, both top and bottom levels, in one house 'hut'... 4 slept on top floor, and 3 slept on bottom. Ahau was so nice to bring in extra single beds at no extra cost on both floors. No AC, but didn't need it when we left the shutters open at night to sleep. Speaker docks definitely helped us play music from our cell phones via Bluetooth. Wifi was great downstairs, but spotty upstairs. Had massages out on or deck, too. Bring mosquito repellant!

The beach was amazing, white powder sand and clear blue waters. We did yoga on the beach! Everything was so CLEAN and well-maintained. Loved the hammocks everyone, and very nice beach lounges/chairs. Occasional beach side service took our orders for drinks and food. We ate breakfast every morning at the hotel, they had the best juicers and smoothies. Had dinner on the last night there, and everything was delicious.

Mike, one of the owners, was really helpful and checked up on us from time to time. He was the best host!! Looking forward to coming back soon!

Room Tip: Master Suites are definitely worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Hola,

It was very nice to have you here at Ahau, the choice of having two master suites in the same building is the best since they are one on top of the other and is very convinient for a larger group.
We are happy to hear you are planning your trip back.

Looking forward to see you in beautiful Tulum.

Best Regards

Pepe Escalante

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I just got back from a week at Ahau Tulum. It was incredible. The room was perfect, and I stayed in a beach front jr suite with A/C. The beach is pristine, pure white sand with crystal blue water. The food in the restaurant is among the best I have ever tasted. I kept to a very local diet, lot's of fish and veggies, and the eggs Ahau MUST be experienced.

The staff was SO friendly and helpful, and as I was travelling solo, the Manager went out of his way to introduce me to staff and fellow guests alike, ensuring I could always find a friend when company was desired. We even went out for Tacos several night of my week long stay (invite was extended to anyone who wanted to come), in a hunt for the best tacos in Tulum!

The staff helped me select and book a great fly fishing day trip nearby and made my stay perfect in every way.

Room Tip: Ground floor suites have A/C, so ask when booking. Also, because activities around Tulum abound (the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hola,

It was very nice to have you here at Ahau, we are please to know that your time in our Hotel was good and that you enjoued a lot every aspect of it.
We hope to see you soon back in beautiful Tulum.

Best Regards