“Relaxed, happy, gorgeous place. I'm returning this May!”
Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
Ranked #11 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Relaxed, happy, gorgeous place. I'm returning this May!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I came here last August with a large group of girls. We had the bottom and top floor of a Master Cabana. Hot showers, yummy drinks, fresh food and kind people make Ahau a dream destination. It's an amazing beach really close to some great restaurants and shops. The cleaning staff was on point and very sweet. Taking breakfast at our cabana was a lovely treat. The manager at the time was so helpful and was a great concierge (August 2012)! If we needed something outside of the hotel's services or more information, he went above and beyond to get it for us.

It was so great that a few friends are returning this Cinco de Mayo and I am returning this May 12-17th as a birthday trip to myself with my boyfriend. We've booked Junior Suite A (king bed top floor full ocean view/ocean front). I'm excited to show him Ahau and how magical it is! I'm looking forward to another amazing vacation.

Room Tip: Bali Hut 5 is supposedly amazing (top floor). The master suites are luxurious and well appointed...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We recently returned from a 14-day magical trip to Tulum ('We' includes my husband and myself, and our 7 mth old baby). I have to say we could not be happier with our choice of staying at Ahau. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous to veer away from going to an all-inclusive type resort, but I am so incredibly glad we did! From the spacious and comfortable room (we stayed in a Jr. Suite), to the proximity to the beach, to the wonderful food and service at the restaurant, Ahau did not disappoint. The property is stunning, with the rooms facing the ocean.. true 'beach-front' property! We stayed in a Jr. Suite, but I checked out the beach cabanas before I left and they are more than enough for a couple (and for under $100/night they are a total steal for the same luxury of beach-front access). From a food perspective; over our 2 weeks, I think we sampled almost every item on their restaurant menu, and everything was divine. I have found at most resorts meals tend to somehow get 'mexicanized', and here they did not - every meal was delicious, and prepared with local ingredients when possible.. presentation was impeccable. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and gracious, especially attentive with our little munchkin. I would say that this would be an ideal vacation spot for families (lots of kids enjoying the ocean), couples looking for a relaxing beach getaway, a group of friends, or even those looking to get away for a solo relaxing vacation. They have yoga onsite every day which was fantastic (wish I had done this more!) We would definitely go back, and are in fact trying to find our way down there again before the end of the year. Two thumbs up!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Hola,

I want to thank you and your husband for choosing Ahau for your 14 days vacation, we are glad to hear all the good comments about our place, we strive every day to deliver a experience that exeeds our guest expetations.

Th restuarant has been a challenge but we are getting the consistency that requires with the food and service.
Once again thatks for the comments and we are looking forward to see you back soon.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

From our arrival to our sadness filled check out, we felt as though we came to visit family. This place was designed to make you feel like a home away from home. The staff is very attentionate and never intrusive. We chose to stay in one of their luxuriously simple junior suites...This eco resort makes it easy to be "eco responsible" The beds are ultra comfortable, the views are magical, even the lobby is a vibrant community of people travelling thru from all over the world, everyone is eager to say hello and engage in a light and friendly conversation. We had everything we needed and more, Edgar, David, Milana, Justin, Laura, we knew everyone on the staff by name and they knew ours, the yoga classes were as promised, relaxing and envigorating all at once, the beach was just like in your dreams. We would suggest this place to any and everyone travelling to Tulum or even make the detour if you were planning on staying in Playa del Carmen...Its worth it in everyway...Forget shoes...This is a barefoot experience ;-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This property is well constructed with almost all of the 8/10 rooms facing the ocean. There is a very authentic hip vibe of yoga and spirituality hear coupled with good comfort. I am very discerning and loved the free spirit mood with the attention to details. The rooms are clean with very comfortable beds and a jug of filtered water. Beds have mosquito nets and floors are stone and feel solid. Rooms feel private and quiet. There is a yoga room with classes and instructors are great. Massages are in your room and therapists are talented.

The restaurant is good not great but the guacamole is great. Service is slow with some waiters so get to know who to ask.

The staff is very friendly and make you feel the strong sense of community.

I loved this place!

Room Tip: Master suites are worth the extra money!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hola,
Thanks for writing a review of our Hotel, we agree with you on the spiritof our place, we try to keep the vibe of Tulum that makes it a relax and laid back town, and for poeple that are willing to share the same feeling.
Please feel free to come back any time and once again thanks for your comments, they really help us to improve our service.

Best Regards
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The service couldn't have more attentive and friendly. We are writing this review from the beach at Ahau Talum. If you are seeking a relaxing, low key escape with wonderful food, comfortable beach lounge chairs and an eco-friendly vibe, this is it. Stay in the master beachfront suite. All you need to pack are swimsuits, flip flops and sunblock. Truly a relaxing experience.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank GabbyD01776
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hola,

We appreciatte your kind review, we are glad to know that you have enjoy your stay with us, it is very important for us to get to know all the details of your vacation so we learn from your expierience and help us improve, please feel free to comeback any time!

Best Regards
burton on trent
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights as our final destination of our mexican Holiday.

We had stayed in all inclusive accomodation prior to transferring to Ahau and to be honest we did wonder if we had made the right choice when we first arrived as the contrast was huge and the atmosphere was distinctly laid back with a Yogist vibe..

However we received a warm welcome from Patricia (who was very helpful throughout the stay) and any doubts were blown away when we were taken to our room.

We stayed in an upstairs luxury suite which had spectacular views to the sea, which must have been no more than 50 yards away. The room itself was very well set out, spacious, relatively simple, but at the same time stylish.

Contrary to other reviews we had warm water from the shower whenever we required and also a flushing toilet.

The location of the hotel was excellent. The beach is stunning and you can literally leave your shoes in the room and walk around barefoot as you are directly on the beach.

There are several other hotels along the beach which have restaurants which are ideal for lunch or dinner (we ate dinner at Villas Estrellas, La Zebra and across the road at Casa Jaguar all of which were pretty good).We ate breakfast and one lunch in the hotel and the food was a good standard.

My wife attended one of the yoga sessions (with Candy) which she found to be excellent(leaving her very relaxed) and catered for all levels. She also had a massage.

The ruins at Tulum are a must. We didnt fancy the idea of cycling so hailed a cab outside the hotel which cost 80 peso.There are plenty of taxis at the ruins for rhe return.

I would recommend this hotel with the room combination we had and would happily return.

Tip: Take a torch, useful when getting around and night beach walks.

Room Tip: We had room 4, upstairs selux suite. it was excellent
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Agree with previous reviewer - I've been to Tulum 6 times and you have to know that toilets will be funny, there will be bugs and water pressure may not be great at all times.

Ahau Tulum has a lot of great things going for it - fantastic beach set up with hammocks, beds, loungers, chairs with a choice of sun and shade. The food is really good. The location is pretty much perfect - on a beautiful stretch of beach and close to the great restaurants that have popped up 'up beach'. I loved the location and, of course, the beach.

Couple of things didn't work for me. First, the hot water situation was a disaster. I literally could not shower for days. As I said, I've been to Tulum many times and understand the limitations of being 'off the grid'. For the most part, I love that. But, I do like to shower! I haven't had this issue to this extent at other hotels in the area.

The biggest thing that didn't work for me was the lethargic energy in the common room...people seem to live there constantly tethered to the wi-fi. The same people were always there....literally always, no matter morning, afternoon, or evening! It leaves no where to sit and enjoy a drink in the evening, read or play a game of cards or something. I found it incredibly annoying and found myself happy to leave Ahau, although sad to leave Tulum. I probably wouldn't stay here again for this last reason.

The value of the Jr. Suites is not great. You should know that about half the jr. suites are behing other buildings with no view. I didn't get one of those views thankfully. Our room was nice and had a great little outdoor area but definitely not worth over $300 per night. I honestly started to feel that the people paying for these rooms are kind of gauged to cover the amazing deal apparently on the bali huts! $20 per night to stay 10 yards away from the Jr. Suites. Pretty big dip in cost although sharing a bathroom/shower puts that out of anything I am interested in.

Finally, there are just some design issues....bright lights across the property which are great from a safety perspective but bad from a sleep perspective. Searing light in my room to the point where I had to wear an eye mask to have any hope of sleeping. Ironic, coming from the second largest city in the US where my bedroom is actually dark.

In summary...Tulum is a magical place and the outdoor area here is magnificent and better than other beach set ups I've seen. Some of the other characteristics of the property means I won't stay here again though.

Room Tip: Make sure your Jr. Suite is not blocked by a building!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple