“High-end yogini paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
You added Ahau Tulum to your Saves list
Ranked #10 of 87 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
“High-end yogini paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wow. This place is gorgeous. I had one of the $300/night bali huts on the water and it was so well appointed and lovely. There were ocean breezes, perfect views, towels folded like elephants (or was it Ganesha!) and even henna-like wall art. The food and the people were great too. I am a 42 year old gal who has traveled just about everywhere and I bet that I have attended close to 50 weddings. I was here to attend a BFF's wedding on the beach and this was one of the best weddings that I have ever been to. The location, the people, the food -- it was all perfect. Keep doin' what you are doing Ahau Tulum!

Room Tip: I had the hut closest to the bar/lounge and while I was not bothered by this (I never heard any musi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bobi R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been to Tulum before and stayed just a short way away from Ahau so we already knew to expect the amazing beach.
We saw Ahau being built on a previous trip and decided we would stay December 2012.

We stayed (for 13 nights) in a Junior Suite on the beach (lower level) as we were with our 3 year old. The room was, I have to say, probably the best bit for me. Clean, bright, close to the sea, really beautiful (though could have done with more storage space).
There is a good sized veranda which worked well for us as our son can play whilst we relax.
The rooms are at the upper end of what you might expect to pay at a good place in Tulum so your expectations are set quite high.
In terms of the room, I'd give 10 out of 10. Issues that niggled a little were:
- Plates being left for 24 hours after room service and the dogs/cats/wasps being attracted to it!
- No kids menu; one day we were charged US$ 31 for a childs fish and chips
- Not a great choice of wines :-( - you'd expect in a place like this, they would have a couple of nice ones (as Villa Estrellas does)
However, the staff were great and they did adjust the price of the kids meals when we drew their attention to it.
They seem to really want to please and make your trip the best so they have to be commended on that.
Special mention to Jack and Edgar - they were very nice and welcoming.
Overall, the food is pretty pricey and compared to some of the other restaurants in Tulum, this is not always completely justifiable. It was though, on the whole, good quality and pretty tasty.

There was some amount of repairs during our stay (ie. to water pipes) but this was done very quickly and didn't really affect us.

To conclude, I'd recommend Ahau though there might be some slightly better options in Tulum if you are with small (ish) children...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank holsdols
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Its as in your dreams: Blue Sky, Green Ocean, Palms and white Sand. And this Hotel fits into this dream! Design following nature. Luxury if you want and can affordable it( 250 bucks and higher) but also Bali huts tiny and romantic( for around 80 bucks) very friendly staff and good for breakfast and dinner. They offer Yoga Lessons and paddle tours on Surf boards.
After a week its difficult to leave that wonderful place.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Klaus S
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hola,

Thanks for your kind review, the idea of having a bigger variety of choices on the rooms is to have everybody to be able to enjoy Tulum, you can be traveling alone with your back pack or want a big master suite to enjoy with frends and family in front of the ocean we offer that, Tulum is a magical place and is only fare if we can share it to everyone who wants to enjoy it.

Please come back any time to enjoy paradise.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at Ahau Tulum from 12/17-12/19/12, and next time plan on staying for much longer! It is a really beautiful, serene way to change things up. We live in a large city, and to be able to go somewhere so conscious of its gorgeous environmental surroundings and just slow down for a little while was fantastic. Prior to Ahau we stayed at a smaller all-inclusive, and this also was a great change of pace. Can't overstate how cool Ahau's construction and layout is.

We reserved one of the little Bali huts, which comes with a very comfortable bed and access to the garden shower and little eco-toilet (not a big deal at all if this causes you unease - vastly better than a latrine or port-a-john). Only minor issue with the Bali huts is that they do not offer much privacy. You share the hut and shower/toilet with another couple (we had a mother and daughter in the room below us). We had no problems with our neighbors, but just expect a communal atmosphere with the Bali huts. I don't think this is the case with the other two arrangements you can purchase.

We spent most of our time while at the hotel in the common room (which is awesome, beautifully built), in their restaurant (YUM, healthy and delicious) and on their gorgeous beach.

The staff is extremely helpful and very nice. We didn't want for anything. Only thing we'll do differently next time is splurge on one of the Master Suites - once you see them you'll understand.

Ahau is a great value, nestled in a cute community full of ex-pats and some hippies, with great access to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere. Only slight warning is if that new-agey vibe is a real turnoff for you, Tulum in general may not be your place to stay. It is not overwhelming but if that's a negative for you, it's definitely there. We enjoyed the earthy, chill atmosphere, the delicious food, and the tremendous beauty of the place. We'll be back! Thanks Ahau!

Room Tip: Splurge on the master suites. You won't regret it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank dolores2175
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Okay, our stay here was interesting to say the least. We opted to rent two of the backpacker style rooms which are very cheap giving that you are beachfront like all the other expensive places but only paying one quarter of the price. We paid $29 USD per night for our place which was value for money given that we were right on the beach, it felt safe, the mattress was high quality and the amenities nice. Could I nitpick? Yes, of course. The walls are very thin plyboard with branches fixed to them for a more rustic look. They also don't go to the ceiling so sound between the backpacker rooms travels very, very easily. We had respectful people next to us so it wasn't an issue but it could be a world of hurt with the wrong neighbor. Other minor issue is the bathroom, which despite their best efforts of cleaning it twice a day, was generally filthy. Two of the three drains in the showers were slow to drain, resulting in the inevitable standing in shower water, which then became a waterfall out of the shower, onto the floor. They did have people in their working on this during our stay, so hopefully by the time you are there, this is resolved.

This leads me to a larger point. This place is definitely a work in progress, as there were repairs happening, efficiency experts assessing everything and super attentive staff asking about how they could improve. Honestly, I was blown away by the efforts they were making and would LOVE to visit this place again in a year or so to see the progress. The place was already damn near perfect so if they continue to tweak, this could be a real gem.

While there, we had a few issues with drinks or food but both times, we weren't charged and given apologies. As vegetarians, we found the menu a bit limiting but I believe it was also being tweaked. Prices are expensive for Mexico but that's all of Tulum and not really an issue for us given that we live in Australia where food costs are outrageous.

Lastly, the power went out on our last night, resulting in them having to use a generator to supply power. Bit noisy and certainly kicking up a bit of fumes so the owner comped our rooms for the whole time!!! Seriously, who does this? Man, what good karma. Staff were kind enough to point owner out for me, whom I profusely thanked. He said something along the lines of "We want you to have the best experience here and when you don't, we take it personally."

Honestly, this place has a few faults but I think the owner and staff are fully aware of these, correcting them all 110% and then making efforts to prevent them from happening again. It all starts at the top, so with an owner like the one at Ahau, you can't help but love this place and get excited about its near future. Being on perfect, turquoise water doesn't hurt either!

Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Juanbuddha
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

From the first moment I step into Ahau I was fascinated by the beauty of it all… gorgeous rooms, nurturing delicious food, friendly and caring staff, architecture of space and light, very respectful to the environment…
I also felt very much at home because the owners and manager, David, Milana and Pepe, treat every guest as family…So, yes I did feel at home in Paradise! And I am really appreciative of what they have achieved in this place, I always recommend it as avery magical entry point into nature...
I´ve stayed there a few times now, and there is nothing compared to the joy of being waked up by the rising sun… I love the way the rooms ( spacious, huge windows, high beds) where thought for this to happen… its subtle, but everything feels at place and at ease… true luxury for me!
I also loved the food, home made hummus is delicious, the vegetables wraps with tomato sauce are just perfect, also their juices ( try the “love” one) and omg desserts, for me the chesse cake and chocolate fondant !

I almost forget, you can do yoga in a beautiful space facing the ocean… it is a wonderful space…

So if you are longing to be in nature, and you are longing to indulge yourself, to relax, to enjoy, to feel at home, to feel at ease, to feel cared about, to feel magic… this is a place for you, as it was very much for me.... till we meet again Ahau :)

Room Tip: Whats good about Ahau is that every room has a beautiful view, and they have a room for every budget...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
We really appreciate your kind review, as hoteliers it is our pleasure to serve our guest and try to go beyond their expectations, as I mentioned before to other guest Nature already did the Job by providing with an outstanding blue sea and a unique beach.
Please come back any time you want we'll be delighted to have you once again, with the promise of showing you a good time, good food and of course the Yoga Classes.

Sincerely

Jose Escalante
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

You really can't beat Tulum if you're looking to get off the grid, see some sights (great Mayan Ruins!) and above all relax by the calm and beautiful Gulf of Mexico. I took my girlfriend here in November for 4 days and the weather and water were perfect. Ahau Tulum was an especially great choice as it has everything we could possibly need on site and is located right on the beach. Everything here has such a relaxing, minimalist and yet luxurious feel to it. The lodge/restaurant/bar/yoga studio has everything right at your fingertips and the food (while a little pricey) is quite good. I don't begrudge the price of food as you are paying for convenience and it is certainly that.

My biggest recommendation is for people vacationing on a budget or for people who want to relax and enjoy comfort without the guilt of splurging on things you don't need. We stayed in the Bali Huts here at Ahau Tulum and they were amazingly affordable for what you get. The room has everything you need (comfy bed, hammock, night light, outdoor shower and vanity) and nothing you don't.

I've read that people are upset that these huts don't have AC. While we were there (November) the nights were calm and cool and AC would have been completely superfluous. Also, reviewers seemed to be complaining about the animals on site. Come on! The dogs and cats on site are cute as hell and are certainly not obtrusive!

I'd recommend this place to anybody, but especially to anyone looking to relax and/or find a romantic getaway. It also would make for a great wedding venue for small parties.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget or just want to get a good value, book the Bali Hut instead of the pricier...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ahau T, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Hola,

We have recived your review and we want to thank you for it, we like the fact that you understand the concept of Tulum and specially Ahau, we provide a space for people to come enjoy, relax and even explore, the nature surrounding the area is beautiful and the fact of beaing off the grid make part of the magic, at night you can look at the sky and whatch the stars, and sleep with the sound of the waves chashing on the beach.

Please feel free to come back any time and enjoy the Mexican Caribeean, and once again Muchas Gracias!