“Gorgeous place, bed like a cloud!”
Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
Ranked #11 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Jersey
“Gorgeous place, bed like a cloud!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

So glad TA added "formerly Esmeralda K" to the top of the listing, since reviews prior to 2012 are likely reviews for the old property, not for Ahau.

My mother and I were fortunate enough to share an upper master suite at the end of June, 2012, and I thought the room was spectacular. The bed was possibly the most comfortable, fluffy, luxurious bed I've ever slept on--certainly in Mexico. The upstairs master suite also has a large daybed, which is actually a full-size mattress, and the same mattress as the master bed. I hope to share this room with a friend next year, maybe flipping a coin or switching beds mid-week.

The bathroom was perfect, windows all around made it feel air-conditioned though it's on the back side of the room. Great shower, shampoo/shower gel dispensers (much more eco-friendly than little plastic bottles), complete door to separate the bathroom from the bedroom (many hotels don't have this). The deck is huge, the view is amazing and the decor in the suite is beautiful. Another eco-friendly note is the large water dispenser in the room, no wasteful little plastic bottles.

One very cool thing about Ahau is that while they do have these very luxurious (and expensive) rooms, they also have true bargain rooms with shared baths, so there's an interesting mix of people and options. There is also an incredible mirador, a lookout tower that gives incredible views of the sunset over the jungle as well as up and down the beach. The restaurant/hangout space is funky and eclectic and comfortable.

The staff is wonderful, professional and charming and the food is terrific. They have a juice bar for light refreshment (I had one with cucumber and I think chaya; really delicious). Chef Roberto came to Ahau from the Villa Las Estrellas a few months ago, and he is definitely having fun creating new dishes. My mother and I had a fantastic dinner--a new fish to me was pargo, apparently in the snapper family, nice firm white fish with a wonderful preparation. And in the morning, you must have the Eggs Ahau--one of the best egg dishes I have ever tasted! It's basically poached eggs in a phyllo cup with spinach, but so much more than that. My mother and I fought over the last bites, though we also had a very nice plate of huevos ranchero to share. Delicious coffee, AND they serve breakfast starting at I think 7:15--that's 45 minutes earlier than most places on the beach road.

The beach is spectacular, of course, and the location is very central; 1 kilometer of beach walking in either direction will hit many of the most popular bars and hotels on the beach.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Room Tip: Completely depends on your budget; they have a wide range of pricing and locations. The upper junio...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Beachreader
PepeEscalante, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Hola,

We love your review, and thank you for it, you could not describe the beds better. we belive that the comfort in the sleep is a priority since everyone here comes to get away and rest, that is the reason we put the best linens and matresses.

we have a commitment with the enviroment and we belive that every little action we made can contibute to a cleaner and better world, thats why we use the dispensers on the showers and the drinking water is free 24 hours, and we dont use plastic bottles unless a guest requested.

As far as our Chef Roberto he is a fantastic one an very passioned about his food, we are very happy to have him as part of the Ahau Family. and he will creating new and fantastic dishes for the restaurant.

We hope to see you back in Tulum soon.

Pepe Escalante

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Peaceful sanctuary, cool hangout, great people and staff. Herman was very friendly and kudos for fostering 2 great little puppies. Stayed in the best room and it is well worth it. Every one should try it at least once. NO AC, just the wind. No TV just good vibes.

Room Tip: Second floor Master suites
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at Ahau Tulum for a week in June 2012 in one of the new top floor palapas. It was exactly what we were looking for from our Mexico vacation. The palapa was well designed and very comfortable, and was kept very clean throughout our stay. The bed was comfortable and with the breeze off the ocean and the sound of the waves I haven't slept so well since I was a kid. We didn't want air con and we were lucky with cool breezes in the evenings. The staff were great, and Herm was outstanding. The food at the restaurant was mostly very good, if a little uneven in quality (but we still had breakfast there every day, and also ate there almost every night!). Service was good even though they were down a couple of staff. The fresh juice frappes were delicious; the bar ran short of a couple of things while we were there, but there was always a substitute :) We didn't take any of the yoga classes, but will likely do so on our next visit. Overall the place had a wonderful, relaxed, laid back vibe without compromising on the necessities for a comfortable stay. We strolled up and down the beach peering into other places and concluded that we had definitely found the right place for us. When we go back to Tulum, it will be our first choice of a place to stay.

Room Tip: Each type of room and palapa has different features so take a look at the website and decide what is...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Unsanctioned
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I arrived by night at Túlum, it was my first time and i was afraid that the place that i read so much about and dreamed to go would have lost it´s essence as playa del Carmen or Cancun...
I woke up in the morning with the sunrise, stepped in to the white sand in direction to the water...the emerald green color of the water, the white sand, the architecture of the huts just in front of the beach, it really looked like a dream! a piece of heave. I stayed in Ahau for almost two weeks, every day by morning i had a wonderful breakfast, healthy witch for me is very important, the staff were always with a smile even at that time in the morning, and after that yoga and a natural revitalizing fruit juice. Just the perfect awake for me. During the days i stayed i visited the Mayan Ruins, went scuba diving, swam at the enchanted Cenotes and at the lagoon in the natural reserve right next to Ahau and just enjoyed nature every day. But more than the places, the sharing of those experiences, the staff, the people i met in Ahau, the Temazcal ceremony, the sunset at the Ahau tower, and the healing center made my experience unique and unforgettable. Thank you so much to all of you in Ahau!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank mariopatrocinio
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just returned from a week of bliss at Ahau Tulum. From the time you arrive until the time you leave the rest of the world seems like a distant memory. At Ahau you will be able to connect with yourself, your family and friends and remember that this is what is important in life. The rooms are beautiful, the food delicious and the staff so friendly and welcoming. I wish I could wake up every morning looking out at the ocean and walk barefoot in the sand. I stayed in the junior suite, upper level, and my room was large and spacious with 2 beds and a balcony overlooking the ocean (about 200 ft). My room did not have an a/c but there were 2 ceiling fans and the evenings and nights are cool with a breeze so I was perfectly comfortable sleeping with the balcony doors open listening to the waves. Although there are rooms with a/c as well. We explored the neighborhood, went into Tulum ( a 10 min taxi ride) and also went on some daytrips to see Coba ruins and the cenotes.
If you are looking for a place to get away from it all and put your stress behind you... then this is the place for you.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lili M
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This was our first time in Tulum so we booked to stay in 3 different hotels. Ahau was the last of the three and was by far the best. Beautiful, unpretentious and completely relaxing. The most perfect Tulum experience.

We stayed for 5 nights in the Master suite which positioned on the sand was both huge and stunning. The staff are fantastic and while the service wasn't as polished as a traditional hotel it was perfect for bohemian Mexico and an eco style resort.

If you stay make sure you climb the water tower and watch the sun set over the jungle. Gorgeous.

Well done to David and the Ahau team, a beautiful place. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Stay in the Master Suite.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed July 9, 2012

At Ahau Tulum I found much more than just an excellent 'eco-hotel' facing the sea. In fact, I discovered a paradise I thought had been lost in Neverland. Like a poem, Ahau Tulum is where a dream took form and became reality.
To the East, a turquoise blue sea with the second largest coral reef in the world, along with every color and life I could never before have imagined. To the West, a luxuriously green jungle ending only where the sun sets in full majesty; and in between, an architectural masterpiece with an endless ceiling of stars, integrating aesthetic, ecology and function in a perfect balance akin to a melody. All this would be imperfect, perhaps, without the most important - the people - the energy they exude, the love they share in everything they are and do.
At Ahau we can feel that harmony through and amongst the staff and guests we meet, the music we listen to, the attention we receive in all the services that we may experience - from the food, to the healing massages; from the practice of Yoga in a true seashore temple to the purifying Temazcal ceremony; everything and everyone guides us to spiritual communion... Surrounded by fascinating Mayan ruins, thousands of enchanted cenotes, magical lagoons and an ecological reserved teeming with biodiversity, we realize why the Mayans chose this place for a home.
It's been a privilege to know this piece of heaven...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank JoaoPedroAmaro
, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Hola!,

Wow, we are amazed on how nice your review is, and to be honest you describe very well the surrounding of this place, Tulum it self is paradise.

By being in a place like this we just add rooms with a design that is friendly with the enviroment and the according to nature, with all local materials of course local workers who have been doing for hundred of years this stuctures called "palapas".

Thanks again for the review and please come back to visit us at Ahau any time.

Sincerely