“Always a great time”
Review of Cabanas Zazilkin

Cabanas Zazilkin
Ranked #76 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed November 14, 2011

If you're looking for a typical resort environment and amenities, Zazilkin is the wrong place. However, I love the laid back environment, simple accommodations, proximity to other resorts/restaurants, and fantastic beach -- and I will trek there for my 3rd time in January.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We decided to tack on a 2 day Tulum trip onto a trip to Cancun for a friend's wedding. We drove along the cabanas in the area and decided on Zazil-kin because they were the closest to the ruins. If you are looking for a Cancun all-inclusive style vacation, this is not for you. If you want beautiful, quiet beaches and more natural experience, this is up your alley.

We paid about USD35/night, which included coffee and toast for breakfast for two. The room was very basic but was clean with mosquito netting and fan which worked when the electricity was on at night. The showers were fine, took a while for the warm water but it was so hot outside that a cooler shower was perfect. There was also a little bar which had a 2 for 1 happy hour til 10pm. We went out on a snorkeling trip right off the beach for about USD15/person.

My husband speaks Spanish which helped but everyone was extremely friendly. They recommended El Camello in downtown Tulum to eat and that was a great local spot with great local seafood and much cheaper than the tourist locations.

We like the more rustic, natural and private settings so this was perfect for us.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I paid $30 for 1 night in a Cabana. The accomodations could have been much better. The service was horrible. I don't think it was worth the money despite being on the beautiful beach.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank OmLotus
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I had a really bad experience with them. The breakfast was awful, they tried to charge us for having the free breakfast that should be included in the sort of high price we paid for....

The cabinet was nice, but the cleaning service was made during the afternoons, when we wanted to take a shower after being outside all day long.
The bar at the night was nice, the only bad experience we had was with the manager that tried to scored with all my friends and even they were not interested he continued trying to work them out.
One day we went to the ruins and when we came back, the cleaning service was done but we noticed that money was missing. Now I heard that is not the first time it happens there.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank jma1983
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Great no frills cabanas located right on the beach. We paid 500 pesos for a 2 bed canana. Bathrooms are shared but clean and rooms are simple with surprisingly comfy beds and mosquito netting. Plus these cabanas are the closest to the ruins. Great little bar on site with happy hour until 9:45 at night!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed August 5, 2010

It's a shame the contrast between the beauty of Tulum's scenery and the poor service and bad travel experience we had in this hotel.
We rented a cottage for a couple of nights, which "in theory" did not include room service. As we weren't sure, at noon the next day we wanted to make sure of it. The receptionist assured us there would be no room service, so we did the cleaning ourselves.
We went to the ruins and on our return, we found that our room had been "cleansed" by the staff of the hotel again (because we had already done the cleaning) and that in the course of cleaning our luggage had been checked (!!!) and a considerable amount of euros was missing!!
We tried to speak to a supervisor, a totally irresponsible person. In addition to not answering our calls, he did not know the name or address of his workers. Finally, he pretended to be handy and help us find the guilty, some apparently new workers.
However, in the end, after wasting many valuable vacation hours, he preferred to wash his hands and lose some good customers, than to take action in the matter, arguing that this was not of his business, nor his fault.
Definitely, not a recommended hotel to stay at!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
7  Thank mmozu
Reviewed May 29, 2010

First: This is the fantasy beach you see in commercials. I LOVED the beach - enjoyed the water for hours.

But I had great difficulty enjoying this place. It was my first experience in a cabana - and my last.

Walk 30 yards to a common toilet building. No soap there; bring it with you if hand-washing is important. Walk 80 yards further to another common shower building. Cold water, cockroaches, water BARELY TRICKLES - my shower took forever.

They have a small section of beach roped off for themselves, with chairs provided. First day: chairs were all taken up, so I sat outside my cabana (no view of water, but lovely still). Second day I got a chair on the beach, but that area "closes" at 4pm, they gather and lock the chairs. Third day I brought my own chair from outside my room. Guy at beach gave me thumbs up, but then tried to collect the chair. I explained it came from my room. He argued with me for a minute, embarrassing me in front of everyone else in the area. He left in a huff, with me still sitting on my chair. Shame to have such a nice beach and not be able to enjoy it.

The water was perfect. Sand mostly clean of debris. View of Mayan ruins while you swim - very cool.

Cabana had only 1 window and a fan. I later learned that others' cabanas had 3 windows, allowing cross-breeze. Electricity turned on (for fan) only from 7pm to 7am. Hard cot-like bed, mosquito net didn't work for me, very bad sleep, caught a cold with the fan blowing on me. No towels in the cabana - I took taxi into town and bought one!

My 2nd night I switched from the $30/cabana to the $90/room, with AC and full-time electricity. But surprise: the A/C is on a separate circuit which is turned on only 6pm to 6am. A/C didn't really maintain any temp you set it to - it simply ran non-stop. I awoke during the night freezing, turned off the A/C, then boiled, awoke, and turned it on again - repeat as necessary. After 6am I awoke baking, but could do nothing about it.

"Free breakfast" turned out to be 3 toast triangles and 1 glass of OJ (Tang, really). My first "free" breakfast, an omelette and some OJ, cost me $7.50.

One night for dinner, I arrived 15 minutes after they closed and they did very kindly serve me - much appreciated.

Taxi ride to and from town is a standard $4.50 (but if they realize you're unfamiliar with the area, they'll charge you more).

Walking distance to the ruins = very nice. Beach and view was awesome. But next time I'll check out the hotel 100 yards in either direction.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo