“Lovely cabanas”

Ranked #19 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
London, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely cabanas”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We spent the second part of our holiday in Tulum at Azulik.
The set up is very romantic and the view from our cabana (we stayed in the sea front cabana) was wonderful. I personally enjoyed the fact there there was no electricity, but my boyfriend struggled with candle light at night. Also he was slightly annoyed that he couldn't power up his gadgets..

The location is perfect - right in front of the beach and only a few minutes walk from great restaurants on the strip (Casa Banana being our absolute favourite).

The only negative comment is that we found it overpriced for what it offers compared to other options in Tulum. But other than that we had a lovely time in Azulik.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laura B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2013

To give you the perspective of my review, let me primarily state that I am not very high maintenance (I grew up on a sugar cane farm). For those people that consider themselves even a little bit "high maintenance," take that into serious consideration before booking here. I personally really, really enjoyed my stay at the Azulik with my boyfriend. The location was amazing. The rooms were very special, the hanging bed, the outdoor swing, and the outdoor tub were so amazing. It was very romantic and so peaceful going from NYC to Azulik. Since there's no electricity, it was even more romantic because of the candles provided (even though we had to purchase more candles bc it gets very dark). Some downsides: it's very buggy (everywhere in Tulum I think). This was actually the only thing that really got to me, it just gets kind of hard to relax outdoors at nighttime if you're constantly swatting bugs away. It was kind of hard to sleep at night because it was so so so hot and there was no AC, so all in all we didn't actually end up feeling very rested. Also, the beach area really wasn't very great. There are a lot of rocks in the water here so it's not too comfortable to get in the water. In addition to that, the beach area provided for the Azulik is pretty small and there aren't any little cabanas to hide from the sun in. If you're looking for a romantic, quiet, outdoorsy vacation, then I think that Azulik would be perfect for you.

1 Thank hillvry
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have a real mixed review about Azulik!

Let's start with the positives:

The staff - Dora, Angelica, and Julio could not possibly be friendlier and more accommodating :-)
The location - spectacular and breathtaking. Sunrises are simply awesome.
Cleanliness of the grounds - great 'slightly manicured' jungle look!
The cabana terraces - hanging beds, swings, plunge pools, amazing views!
The little semi-private beach - clean and more or less private
No kids - nice and quiet :-)

Then the negatives:
After sunset - it simply becomes too much of a survival mission against the HUGE number of insects and reptiles (tarantula on our bed on our first night!). We understand it's 'in the jungle' but still at ~$150 per night there is zero excuse for not having mosquito-net screens on all doors and windows and sealing gaps between roofs and walls and windows and walls. This would be so cheap and easy to do!
Heat and lack of air circulation - the cabanas have no electricity and therefore no means to power a simple fan at night. The option of leaving a door/window open is zero given the insects/reptiles so instead sleeping is very difficult due to heat and lack of air flow.
Breakfast - again, given the relatively high price of staying here, breakfast is way too basic (small bowl of fruit, tea or coffee, and some usually stale pastries) - this ought to be improved considerably (and would be SO easy to do!)
Cleanliness of rooms - Azulik sadly seems to cover for it's lack of cleanliness by saying it's 'eco-friendly'... all the sheets on our bed were stained (we think with insect blood?!), the towels had all seen better days, and the general freshness of the rooms was lacking (again it would be so easy and so cheap for them to fix all of this!)

Before you visit this place make sure you read and are completely ok with their FAQs on their website!

Oh and if you're a light sleeper, the waves are REALLY loud at night!

Overall we're glad we went - we had a great time but would want to know that the above points have been addressed before we would visit again.

Room Tip: Insist on Cabanas 1, 2, 3, 12, or 28. The others have not been renovated.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravellingCoupleX
toronto
Reviewed September 3, 2013

BEWARE- the following experience has left me very distrustful of ever giving my credit card information to anyone. The reservation staff was not available for correspondence either by phone or by email. My reservation was never confirmed and when I called to say that I had to make other arrangements due to their lack of timely correspondence they immediately and against my permission charged me for 5 nights. What ensued can only be described as out right fraudulent and criminal business practices. The manager when approached in person was extremely evasive, as in, making me wait 40 minutes in the hopes that I would just "go away". when I was finally able to talk to someone who could actually exercise some authority she promised that the $ would be refunded, that was 4 months ago and they have no intention of returning the $ I got a curt email 2 weeks ago saying it was my fault. WOW eco hospitality more like TOURIST-TRAP, buyer please beware!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank worldwideshopper
lulalegui, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Azulik, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Our staff indicated that you and your friend arrived to the hotel 2 days later than your original reservation.
We understand that you did not get your confirmation by email, but we have a copy of it that we already re-sent to your mail with the cancellation policies.
We are also sorry you couldn't get in contact with the hotel before your trip, our reservations attendance by email or phone is from Monday to Friday, from 9 till 6pm.

We are able to offer you the same spent credit for a future accommodation and Maya Spa services,
To redem this just email us.

Regards,
Azulik's Staff
Chicago, Il
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The room, view, and staff were amazing! Super romantic spot, you feel like you are in another world.

Julio gave us great recommendations on where to eat and go out. The hotel is located on the beach, but fairly close to a bike path into town. Everything you need is within walking distance though - bike, scuba, etc rentals. Restaurants, etc.

I would definitely go back & recommend for anyone on a romantic vacation in Tulum.

1 Thank rtruesdell
Rome, Italy
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We spent three wonderful nights in Azulik Hotel enjoying the impressive view of the cliff, sea turtles on the beach laying eggs at night and staff's friendliness.
The bungalows are completely surrounded by the jungle and you can really see wild animals such as scorpions, hermit crabs and snakes through the plants and on the trees.
Breakfast is a buffet and drinks and some food are provided all day long.

What they should improve is the attention to details. For example, they could replace existing towels and bed linen with new ones or bleach them carefully..

Room Tip: Rooms on the cliff, sea view though more expensive, otherwise, the row just behind them. They are wo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank daphelia_2014
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I have been visiting Azulik since 2007. We spent our honeymoon here in 2008. We returned last in 2010. I had been reading the reviews prior to our visit last week and I was a little concerned that perhaps things were a little tired there as I noticed on our last visit in 2010 which was disappointing.

The cabanas have all been refurbed, so the issues recently raised by previous guests appear to have been addressed.

We stayed in The Romantic Villa, which is were first stayed in 2007 - it was cleaner and fresher than ever. The internal 'closet' and toilet had been painted a bright tropical green and the color was picked up throughout. The original wooden bath (amazing at it was, it leaked) has been lined with mosaic talavera tiles. Delightful!

The bedding and towels were spotless, another concern of previous reviewers, and the wooden floors recently re varnished.

I notice that the other cabanas have also had this splash of bright color used to refresh, but from what I could see the Romantic Villa was the most soft choice of colors.

Inside the cabana is a swinging day bed for lounging, as well as a queen with new mosquito net, table and chairs and plenty of fresh towels, including beach towels and PLENTY of water. This is so important here as this is a quiet hotel, not near any stores and not having a bar or restaurant, so the fact you have a 20 litre garafon of drinking water in your room as well as daily bottles of drinking water to take to the beach is essential (refill from your garafon and cut down on the plastic waste!)

Outside the decking path takes you to the edge of the cliff, secluded in greenery each side creating a private area and clothing is optional! On the decking are two Adirondack chairs, a wooden swing and the "pièce de résistance" at the end of the decking a double swinging bed and another talavera mosaic tiled tub over looking the brilliant turquoise ocean.

The manager Roberto is a totally charming gentleman who greeted us with genuine enthusiasm and care. He was a delight to deal with and speaks perfect English. He was aware that it was my husbands birthday and when we arrived back from dinner to soak in our tub under the stars, we found a bottle of wine and a little cake, with a personal note from him. So thoughtful and kind! Which was very much the impression I got of Roberto during our stay.

I believe coffee and juice is available at the reception, should you require it and Roberto can recommend restaurants and two menus are included in your cabana that deliver. We ALWAYS eat at Mezzanine, the Thai restaurant about four minute taxi ride from Azulik. Their breakfasts are also awesome and location can't be beaten.

Tulum has been one of my favorite places since my very first pack packing tour in 1997, it may have changed plenty since then, but still retains it's amazingly chilled ambience and magic. Truly one of my favorite places on earth.

I highly recommend Azulik if you really want to getaway and disappear. There is no electric, so bring a torch. Candles and matches are supplied in your room, moonlight normally suffices as there is no light pollution here. If you are expecting air con, mini bars and whatnot, then this place is not for you, these are luxurious, but rustic cabanas and less is definitely more. Do take mosquito repellent, unfortunately they can be quite aggressive at times, but best to remember to close doors and put down your mozzie net at dusk. After dark they calm down a little and the beautiful onshore Tulum breeze also helps. I usually have a few bites, but nothing worse than anywhere else in this area.

There is also a supermarket on the road in to the beach these days, so we did stop in for a few supplies, nibbles for our lazy afternoons on the beach or reading on the swing beds.

This place is truly heaven and one of my all time favorite places to stay. Roberto and his team have certainly put in a LOT of love and care into getting this place back up, and beyond, scratch.

We can't wait to go back, hopefully November and see what else is new at the old Azulik.

Room Tip: The Romantic Villa is a favourite and the colors subdued, also very private, probably the most seclu...
5 Thank mevesysufres