WINNER WONDERLAND

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #47 of 87 Hotels in Tulum
“Mayatulum is Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

My boyfriend Jonathan and I have never had a vacation in our (3) years together. We have have worked in NYC and LA 5 star hotels and have pretty high standards. We wanted to get away from big city life for our shared birthday and reconnect with our spirits, nature and eachother- but we didn't want to "rough it". I searched the web and came across Mayatulum. For the MBS package price, I was not really expecting very much but we hoped for the best.
First of all, Tulum is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The warmth and openness of the staff at Mayatulum made us feel right at home.We consider ourselves very discerning when it comes to food. Jonathan and I work in environments with world famous chefs. Food and service is one thing we definitely understand. The food at Mayatulum is overwhelmingly fresh and well prepared. We felt invigorated & nourished by every single meal. The few times we ate away from the resort we were happy to return for a better snack at Mayatulum! I have only gone to an all inclusive once before and I loathed it. Our MBS breakfasts were filled with fresh papaya and melon. What do you put in those incredible PANCAKES? At lunch we had so many choices from tasty fish tacos to hearty sanwiches. The Putanesca Pasta was my favorite for dinner and Jonathan loved your perfect Avocado Salad .
The staff really rounds out the entire experience. They practice the finer points of service without pretension. Your staff is so knowledgable and genuine- we were very impressed.
We enjoyed renting scooters in town and exploring the ruins and beaches. Magnificent!
Just writting this stirs memories of all of the beauty we enjoyed with you. I can still hear the waves crashing if I close my eyes. We want to tell everyone we know, yet we want no one to ever spoil our treasured Mayatulum.

Stayed June 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
East Brunswick, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Maya Tulum for 4 nights in June 2006 for a wedding. The wedding, held right on the beach of the resort, was amazing. The staff did a great job and paid attention to every little detail. The resort itself is also quite good. The food was excellent (especially the banana granola pancakes). The staff was very freindly and courteous. My wife and I had a massage and attended a yoga class, both of which we enjoyed. The beach at Maya Tulum is one of the very best I've ever been to. However, this place does lose some of it's charm at night. There is no air conditioning, and even though it's located on the beach, there isn't much in the way of a breeze. The beds are surrounded by mosquito netting, and they are definitely needed. The sink and shower each are salt-water, but you are provided with a 5-gallon jug of potable water in your cabana. The beds are very comfatable, though.
All things considered, this is a great place to go to to escape from the everyday world and just relax. If you look past the rustic part, I think you'll have a wonderful time here.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank jona1977
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2006

My wife and I stayed for a week at this hotel. We had a lovely cabana with an ocean view. The room was impeccable and bed was comfortable. The shower water is very salty (they say due to Wilma), but you are given purified water in a big container. Room staff will do your bed and change towels daily. Only twice they forgot to change the towels.
Our cabana was located at the far end of the property and there are still remains of debris due to Wilma. I nearly stepped on a broken bottle bare foot. The overall feeling of this hotel is that no one will bother you. Everyone here is supposed to relax and enjoy the beach, which is beautiful. The beach had a lot of algae, even there is a small army of Mexicans that clean the beach early morning, there were still tons of it on the beach.

The restaurant is very beautiful and elegant, but the food is expensive and not that great. But for a romantic dinner, it´s unbeatable.

The hotel seems to focus on spa retreats. But we were never offered a massage or something like that. At times we did miss someone really in charge. Front desk personnel, were not that helpful. We had to ask for an adapter, water, laundry, towels and info.

We rented a car and visited the other hotels. All offer food and drinks that are worth trying. Copal has the best flan ever!

Overall, the hotel is a great rustic getaway. Do not expect great customer service. But you will find tranquility, comfort and peace here.

• Stayed May 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Maya Tulum for a week. Overall, we were very pleased. We had a cabana right on the beach, about 20 feet from the water. The beach is really beautiful. You can watch the pelicans fishing right outside your window. The staff was very friendly and had lots of good recommendations. The yoga classes were very good. We were happy that we rented a car so we could get out to other restaurants and sights. It's certainly rustic - more so than we expected (think about 3 notches down from Club Med). Because it was the end of April, the lack of AC was a bit bothersome. Everything stayed damp. The biggest downside was the food. It's total crap. I love healthy, vegetarian food, salads, etc., and it's one of the reasons we chose the place. However, the dishes were incredibly bland and most were prepared (or drowned) in a very low-grade oil that tasted terrible. They mixed a lot of flavors together that don't mix well. It got to the point where we wouldn't even eat breakfast there. We were very happy to have our car to drive to other restaurants. However, it made the vacation a bit more work. We spent a lot of time next door at Zamas and Posada Marquerita where the food is much better. I would recommend that you bring lots of travellers checks, change them at the local bank and pay your bill in pesos. The exchange rate we were given was ludicrous when we used our credit card. We would have saved several hundred dollars by paying in pesos.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2006

I stayed at Maya Tulum for four nights and it wasn't nearly long enough. Everything was absolutely perfect. I loved my room, the food was excellent, and I had several wonderful massages. I have recommended Maya Tulum to all of my friends, and I hopefully will be able to go back very soon myself. Thanks Maya Tulum!

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2006

My brother and I spent a week at a yoga retreat at Maya Tulum. They have just recovered from the hurricane (Wilma) and we were the first big group to arrive. Everything was fantastic! It is definitely rustic, though so don't expect the Cancun experience. The mosquito nets work fine, but there are bugs that hang out with you all week (although our palapa had a new roof and that sometimes happens.). Excellent food, all vegetarian. Beautiful beaches. Great service. Wonderful massages. Definitely try the sweat lodge with Fabian leading.

Overall a wonderful placeto go to get away from it all and contemplate the mysteries the life...or your bellybutton.

2 Thank neekyAustin_TX
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2006

I have been going to this place every year for years, often more than once a year.

Here is the lowdown:

MayaTulum is alone in Tulum. It is one of a kind. Here's why:

1. The beach is one of the best in the world. Period. And the unique curve to it makes it the best location in all of Tulum down to Belize. It is spectacular, with talcum sand unlike anywhere else. An army of workers keep it clean. I have checked out every other place on the beach, and no one can touch it.

2. The staff is fantastic, with a few notable exceptions. Victor, Dulce, Oscar--fantastic. There are maybe one or two people there who don't want to be there, and in positions of power. Forget about them, or complain to the Atlanta office about them, and then enjoy the beach and let it go. The dining room staff is fantastically friendly.

3. The food is decent, but never great. Eat in town when bored. It is a yoga retreat, and there is this feeling that retreat food should be sensible, nutritious and boring. I don't agree, and most don't. They will change that over time.

4. The resort's management has never made it a priority to have a computerized system that both centralizes bookings and automates as much of the process as possible. It leads to almost joke-level mistakes in your final bill. One staff member confided to me that 4 out 5 people are overcharged for their spa services. It's really a shame when you have a hotel where there is 95% occupancy and won't spend on a better system.

5. Front desk staff are for the most part bilingual. There is one or two exceptions, and I'm sorry, but when 99% of your guests do not speak Spanish fluently and there is a problem, the customer should have someone who speaks English enough to solve the problem. The customer is king, not Mexico.

6. Many of the palapas used to be bare bones. Thankfully the hurricane took out some of them and the newer ones have amazing things like potlights and a better showerhead.

7. Dumb things are missing at this place. Beach towels. Washroom lights IN THE WASHROOM. Mirrors that are actually in front of the sink when shaving, not to the right. These things don't cost much money but lead to much greater customer satisfaction. Bump up the room rates by $5 a night and you'll pay for these things.

Having said all of that, I keep coming back, because the place is dreamy, beautiful and of scale, and I never feel that I am ripped off in any way, and more than a few of the staff always remind me of why I love the place. MayaTulum's place in the sun may be numbered as other more savvy people develop on the beach, but it will always have the best beach, so everything else can be brought up a notch.

• Stayed January 2006