“So relaxing & exceeded expectations.”
Review of Maya Tulum Resort

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #48 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Brooklyn, New York
“So relaxing & exceeded expectations.”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This February, my boyfriend and I took our first trip to Tulum and weren't sure what to expect. A friend had recommended Maya Tulum, but based on what I had read online, I had expected it to be very barebones (especially since it's recommended that you bring your own beach towels). But when we pulled up, I was instantly impressed! The landscaping of the resort is thoughtful and beautiful, but note overly manicured. Our room (#31, which was a garden room), was spacious and cool, with crisp white sheets, a nice tiled shower, nice bath products, and bright white towels. It was well-located and we didn't mind not being right on the beach at all.

I had read some reviews that mentioned tons of seaweed on the beach, but we didn't notice any when we were there (Feb 16-18). The part of the beach where Maya Tulum is located is quiet and protected by a group of rocks, so it feels very private, even though all the beaches in Tulum are public.

The activity at Maya Tulum does focus around yoga and I'd say most of the people there were women on yoga retreats. I did one class while I was there, but otherwise, we just relaxed and hung out on the beach, which was totally fine.

The food at the restaurant was only so-so, but there are so many dining options in Tulum that we actually liked going for walks and checking out some of the other places along the beach.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Boyne City, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was the most relaxing vacation I've ever been on. The resort is right on the ocean, the staff is wonder, great place to get a tan and unplug from the world!! I loved it so much I'm going back again this Spring.

Room Tip: The resort is fairly small and all room are close to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Maya Tuluum is one of those places where you can forget the rest of the world. from it's location on a very quiet and secluded beach with beautifully calm, clear water to thatched sleeping huts cooled by trade winds to the yoga classes and spa...bghh it's an adventure noone should miss.

Eco friendly and lights out at 11:00 so candle light just add to the beauty.

I can't honestly believe that people are complaining about how far it is from the Cancun airport. Really? If it weren't it would not be so secluded.

Room Tip: try to get a hut on the beach so the tradewinds keep the bugs at bay!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OliveOyl55
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The property is lovely and the beach is wonderful. The spa is outstanding and the facilities for a yoga retreat are perfect. However, the location is far from the airport. The rooms are not as luxurious as you would expect for the high rates. The beds are uncomfortable and the floors are always dirty because they are stone. The mosquito net over the bed is an absolute necessity but mine was dirty and had holes. The food was good but got a bit tedious after a few days when the options were always the same. The fresh coconuts are expensive (about $4 each), especially considering they are all over the property. A perfect location for a retreat or teacher training program but I think I would have been bored otherwise. The wifi is only available in the main area is a bit spotty and slow. I paid extra for an "ocean view deluxe room" yet I had a very obstructed view of the ocean because there was another unit between my room and the beach. And, the porch light from that room shined into my bedroom each night.

Room Tip: If you pay extra for an ocean view room, ask to look at a map and make sure that you are truly getti...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mike N
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We went to Maya Tulum this past December with our then 6 month old baby. We also had in our travel party my mom and her boyfriend, brother and sister-in-law, and sister and brother-in-law. Every day the weather was amazing. I've been to Tulum three times and during December I've always had amazing weather. This hotel was extremely accommodating. Our daughter is formula fed and we brought pre-made formula with us since we didn't want to create more waste by using tons of bottled drinking water. You cannot drink the water in Tulum unless it is filtered or bottled. The hotel has filtered water in each room but we were nervous about using it for the baby formula even though she probably would've been fine. Baby systems are so sensitive so we were being extra careful. THE REALLY AMAZING PART: so when we had to wash bottles we didn't want to use tap water or the filtered water in our room so the kitchen staff actually allowed us to use their facilities, which had a universal three-part sanitizing system for their own dishes. This meant we washed the bottles in soapy water, rinsed, and then put them in the sanitizing agent. Once the dishes dry they are safe for human consumption. Having access to this made out stay exceptionally easy. The hotel also had a pack n' play and they set it up with its own bug netting. The hotel is great for older kids too. There were lots of families there with kids ranging from 2-9 years old and they all ended up playing together. The place is very self contained so the kids could play on their own while the parents relaxed. Everyone was extremely friendly: hotel staff, massage therapists, yoga teachers, and the other guests. It was great that there were two yoga classes a day because my husband and I could each get a class in and take turns watching the baby. The beach was incredible, the ocean friendly to swim in, the accommodations clean and spacious, and the food healthy and delicious. Its Tulum at its best.

Room Tip: My family with baby stayed in number 36, my mom stayed in 32, brother and sister-in-law in 8 and sis...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank arheller
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Pros: Lovely beach and very pretty surroundings; highly relaxing; excellent yoga classes; outstanding massage.

Cons: A long drive from the Cancun airport - the resort is a good hour and a half away so by the time I was picked up, it was 3 hours from the time I landed to the resort and I was exhausted. The food is delicious but it's essentially the same food every day for the week. It is not luxurious or that comfortable - the beds are hard, pillows soft and tons of bugs so you sleep under mosquito netting. The floors are stone so bring flip-flops - my feet were dirty just walking the few yards from the bed to the bathroom. The sewage system is septic - so be prepared to dispose of toilet paper in the waste paper can next to the toilet. I found it tedious to sign a bill after each meal (3x/day).

Three full days was enough for me to get the r&r I went for and felt restless after since there is not much to do besides yoga, eating 3 meals, and walking along the beach.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, avoid #14 which is right next door to the restaurant as you'll hear people ea...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Menchette
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We visited Tulum for the first time over MLK weekend and were so glad we booked Maya Tulum. It is the first resort on the gorgeous strip of beach just past the strip of more hostel/posada type accomodations. This has two implications- a much nicer beach and much more private/calm clientele. The ocean-front rooms are really worth the extra money, as falling asleep and waking up to the waves is pretty spectacular. The cabanas themselves are comfortable and spacious.

In general, we thought the service was great, as was the food. The meals we had at the restaurant were actually less expensive and much better than almost every meal we had at the nearby restaurants on the strip. The cocktail pours were also better. We only ordered from the menu, though, and did not try the buffet, as the former is more cost-effective and typically includes a protein. The latter is vegetarian.

There were a couple of negatives. First, my husband and I like challenging yoga classes and the two classes that we took (vinyasa flow) were slower than we typically enjoy and included a lot of 'om-y" breathing stuff that doesn't interest us. Tulum is a new-agey sort of destination, so my guess is that all the yoga studios offer something similar unless you book private classes. Also, the resort has to cater to a wide audience of fitness levels, so visitors should keep that in mind. The classes weren't bad, just not particularly challenging. The schedule is also very limited- early early morning and late afternoon. I can barely get out of bed at 7am for work, so had no intention of getting up at 7 for a yoga class on vacation. It would have been nice to have more options, both schedule-wise and level-wise.

Second, we booked massages- a deep tissue and a double deluxe. My husband liked the deep tissue, whereas I felt the double deluxe was a waste of money. Intended to be a combined deep tissue/facial, it ends up being about 30 minutes of massage, 30 minutes of facial cream/mud application, and 20 minutes of waiting around. I felt that, for $140, I should have been enjoying the deep tissue massage on the un-mudded areas for the remaining 20 minutes of my 80 minute service, instead of laying around. In the future, I will go to Mayan Clay Spa for any services while in Tulum- that place was insane.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple