“Beautiful location for a yoga retreat”
Review of Maya Tulum Resort

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #51 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The property is lovely and the beach is wonderful. The spa is outstanding and the facilities for a yoga retreat are perfect. However, the location is far from the airport. The rooms are not as luxurious as you would expect for the high rates. The beds are uncomfortable and the floors are always dirty because they are stone. The mosquito net over the bed is an absolute necessity but mine was dirty and had holes. The food was good but got a bit tedious after a few days when the options were always the same. The fresh coconuts are expensive (about $4 each), especially considering they are all over the property. A perfect location for a retreat or teacher training program but I think I would have been bored otherwise. The wifi is only available in the main area is a bit spotty and slow. I paid extra for an "ocean view deluxe room" yet I had a very obstructed view of the ocean because there was another unit between my room and the beach. And, the porch light from that room shined into my bedroom each night.

Room Tip: If you pay extra for an ocean view room, ask to look at a map and make sure that you are truly getti...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mike N

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We went to Maya Tulum this past December with our then 6 month old baby. We also had in our travel party my mom and her boyfriend, brother and sister-in-law, and sister and brother-in-law. Every day the weather was amazing. I've been to Tulum three times and during December I've always had amazing weather. This hotel was extremely accommodating. Our daughter is formula fed and we brought pre-made formula with us since we didn't want to create more waste by using tons of bottled drinking water. You cannot drink the water in Tulum unless it is filtered or bottled. The hotel has filtered water in each room but we were nervous about using it for the baby formula even though she probably would've been fine. Baby systems are so sensitive so we were being extra careful. THE REALLY AMAZING PART: so when we had to wash bottles we didn't want to use tap water or the filtered water in our room so the kitchen staff actually allowed us to use their facilities, which had a universal three-part sanitizing system for their own dishes. This meant we washed the bottles in soapy water, rinsed, and then put them in the sanitizing agent. Once the dishes dry they are safe for human consumption. Having access to this made out stay exceptionally easy. The hotel also had a pack n' play and they set it up with its own bug netting. The hotel is great for older kids too. There were lots of families there with kids ranging from 2-9 years old and they all ended up playing together. The place is very self contained so the kids could play on their own while the parents relaxed. Everyone was extremely friendly: hotel staff, massage therapists, yoga teachers, and the other guests. It was great that there were two yoga classes a day because my husband and I could each get a class in and take turns watching the baby. The beach was incredible, the ocean friendly to swim in, the accommodations clean and spacious, and the food healthy and delicious. Its Tulum at its best.

Room Tip: My family with baby stayed in number 36, my mom stayed in 32, brother and sister-in-law in 8 and sis...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank arheller
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Pros: Lovely beach and very pretty surroundings; highly relaxing; excellent yoga classes; outstanding massage.

Cons: A long drive from the Cancun airport - the resort is a good hour and a half away so by the time I was picked up, it was 3 hours from the time I landed to the resort and I was exhausted. The food is delicious but it's essentially the same food every day for the week. It is not luxurious or that comfortable - the beds are hard, pillows soft and tons of bugs so you sleep under mosquito netting. The floors are stone so bring flip-flops - my feet were dirty just walking the few yards from the bed to the bathroom. The sewage system is septic - so be prepared to dispose of toilet paper in the waste paper can next to the toilet. I found it tedious to sign a bill after each meal (3x/day).

Three full days was enough for me to get the r&r I went for and felt restless after since there is not much to do besides yoga, eating 3 meals, and walking along the beach.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, avoid #14 which is right next door to the restaurant as you'll hear people ea...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Menchette
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We visited Tulum for the first time over MLK weekend and were so glad we booked Maya Tulum. It is the first resort on the gorgeous strip of beach just past the strip of more hostel/posada type accomodations. This has two implications- a much nicer beach and much more private/calm clientele. The ocean-front rooms are really worth the extra money, as falling asleep and waking up to the waves is pretty spectacular. The cabanas themselves are comfortable and spacious.

In general, we thought the service was great, as was the food. The meals we had at the restaurant were actually less expensive and much better than almost every meal we had at the nearby restaurants on the strip. The cocktail pours were also better. We only ordered from the menu, though, and did not try the buffet, as the former is more cost-effective and typically includes a protein. The latter is vegetarian.

There were a couple of negatives. First, my husband and I like challenging yoga classes and the two classes that we took (vinyasa flow) were slower than we typically enjoy and included a lot of 'om-y" breathing stuff that doesn't interest us. Tulum is a new-agey sort of destination, so my guess is that all the yoga studios offer something similar unless you book private classes. Also, the resort has to cater to a wide audience of fitness levels, so visitors should keep that in mind. The classes weren't bad, just not particularly challenging. The schedule is also very limited- early early morning and late afternoon. I can barely get out of bed at 7am for work, so had no intention of getting up at 7 for a yoga class on vacation. It would have been nice to have more options, both schedule-wise and level-wise.

Second, we booked massages- a deep tissue and a double deluxe. My husband liked the deep tissue, whereas I felt the double deluxe was a waste of money. Intended to be a combined deep tissue/facial, it ends up being about 30 minutes of massage, 30 minutes of facial cream/mud application, and 20 minutes of waiting around. I felt that, for $140, I should have been enjoying the deep tissue massage on the un-mudded areas for the remaining 20 minutes of my 80 minute service, instead of laying around. In the future, I will go to Mayan Clay Spa for any services while in Tulum- that place was insane.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay S
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I had a lovely stay at Maya Tulum Resort. I enjoyed the beach and deepening my yoga practice. The MBS 7day package is very complete and allows you to enjoy two tours and the the beach in Tulum.

The cabañas where you stay are great and you get to sleep and wake up to the sound of the ocean waves. The sunrise is breathtaking. It's a great place to relax and escape from the world. It is very natural and you get to walk barefoot most of the time you are there. There is a shopping are 10 mins away, otherwise you get to enjoy the resort and the beack whilst you are there.

The food was delicious and the service at the restaurant was great! The Spa services and attention are outstanding. Totally recommend the Mayan Clay Massage!!

It's definitely a place I would love to go back to!!

Room Tip: I loved Cabin 36 with ocean view, not beachfront and it was perfect!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank carpediemtravel
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Looking back om 2013 I have visited maya tulum resort two times, this is a very wonderful place with great yoga instructors and the spa is a wonderful experience after a great workout. Meals are amazing. I really can't say enough good things about this special place and experiences. Very clean, simplistic. It's best to go into this place and leave the outside world behind, enjoy and have the time of your life! What a experience and each and everyone of the staff is great. Can't wait to return again one day.

Room Tip: I was there in February and November, did not miss A/C. In November a lot of rain but staff kelp th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013

When I make a list for a tropical paradise it includes the following features: secluded, unhurried, that impossibly beautiful blue/green water, sand that feels good on the feet, and sumptuous food. Maya Tulum has all that and more. Most of my visits to the Yucatan peninsula have been to Cancun which to me isn't really Mexico. It could really be anywhere because everything in Cancun has been commercialized. Tulum is like stepping off the treadmill in the best possible sense. It has a feel that you simply have to experience to understand. I felt like I was in my own beautiful bubble as I was lulled to sleep by the waves crashing just outside my ocean front room. Luxury? If you prefer to be insulated from nature this resort is not for you. There is no air conditioning, there are no phones, TV's, etc. But this is why you go to a place like Maya Tulum. To reconnect with a simpler time. To indulge the senses. To savor freshly prepared food, to walk in silence on the uncrowded beaches, to walk in the room and surprise a gecko. This resort is also geared to yoga and the yoga rooms are quite pleasant. There is also an outstanding spa offering all sorts of basic and exotic treatments. I did not get bitten by any insects, but did get tangled up in the mosquito netting that drapes over the bed. The service is efficient, the staff mostly blends into the scenery (which is part of the lovely bubble you can find yourself floating around in while you are here). When I make a list of the places I want to return to....to experience a true paradise.... Maya Tulum will be at the top of my list.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $ and get the ocean side rooms. The direct sound of the waves is worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo