“Beautiful Yoga Retreat!”

Ranked #44 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Yoga Retreat!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Maya Tulum was absolutely fantastic. I went on a yoga retreat with a group and couldn't have asked for a better setting. The yoga facilities were beautiful and SUPER clean. I could hear the ocean, wildlife and it felt so secluded. We used both yoga rooms, walked on the beaches and walked the labyrinth. There is even a spa where I had an incredible deep tissue massage from Karmen which was a great mid-week treatment.

The cabanas were also spotless and comfortable. I was going to relax so not having a phone, wifi, or AC was great for me to disconnect, get out of my element and still feel comfortable. I stayed in a larger cabana and had a mini "garden" in the back and space to relax in the one bedroom. It was cozy, beautiful and simple.

One of the highlights was the FOOD! Humberto, the food service director, was so attentive and the food was a 11 out of 10. I really appreciate healthy food and every day we had endless servings of fruit, fresh squeezed juice, coffee, fresh coconuts (grown on location), neat soups and freshly prepared vegetables. Chef Mitch's granola was also a favorite of the group. On top of the delicious food the staff was 100% professional and attentive. Our group always looked forward to the meals.

I went during "turtle season" so we hung out on the beach at night and saw HUGE sea turtles laying eggs, apparently this part of the beach is very popular for laying eggs and it was incredible. There were some days with kelp and seaweed but the maya tulum staff maintained the beach and there was plenty of room to swim.

I very much recommend Maya Tulum for groups and I would go back again!

Room Tip: My roommate and I were in a "family cabana" so we had three beds and two separated rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kayabella
dena2450, Public Relations Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
We are so happy to hear you had an unforgettable moment with us! Our coconuts are as fresh as they can be, and it is recommended to drink them on an empty stomach to benefit from the amazing nutrients !!!! After all, it IS a SuperFood!!!

Thank you so much for enjoying our therapies at the Spa, we have amazing healers! We have three brand new Spa Cabins, including one for Thai Massage. And we also have launched the new "Signatura Treatments" per healer, each of them is unique and tailored for Maya Tulum.

Turtle season is from May-October, and we had on 2013 so far 40 nests!!!!!! Check our Official Social Network Fan Page, so you can find the hatching expected dates of the turtles!!!

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

In Lak'Ech
(I am another You)

Tania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have deep ambivalence about Maya Tulum. It's on beautiful, expansive grounds that are calming and serene. I love the way the restaurant and yoga cabanas had window cutouts that gave you breathtaking views of the ocean. Truly special.

The breakfast is delicious, and other random food, smoothies, etc. we had were more than satisfactory. The yoga was great; staff super nice; everything was first rate. More than anything, I feel like Maya Tulum is "keeping it real," more than any of the newer, smaller resorts further down the strip. It's just not as pretentious and hip; it feels right, and authentic to me. Doesn't hurt that it's reasonable, too.

The problem is that the beach is borderline awful there. I expected to be able to swim off our beachfront Cabana; er, no. There's a huge amount of kelp accumulated on the beach and in the cove on which the resort is situated; it's slimy and impenetrable for swimming. It also smells pungent and rank during low tide, in the late afternoon. Not pleasant.

You can of course walk 5 minutes down the beach to swim in front of another resort; or go to any of the various beach clubs around. But if you're dreaming of hanging out on the beach in front of your cabana, ordering drinks all day - well, you can forget it. Not happening here. As much as I loved the resort, it has the worst beach I saw in Tulum. Bummer.

Rooms were nice, housekeeping service excellent; lack A/C, though, so be prepared for some humidity.

Room Tip: Liked beachfront - lovely ocean breeze.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Alloyd50
Oakland, California
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Maya Tulum with a meditation/yoga group. Loved the thatch roof cabins (we were nice and cozy during a storm) just steps away from the beach. The beach was groomed daily and the water was clear. The vegetarian fare was delicious! Mayan massages were the best! The staff helpful in every way. We are already planning to return as soon as we can.

Room Tip: We stayed beachfront, but garden rooms are fine. The grounds are quiet and lovely.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Linda606110
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had a wonderful time, yet again, great hospitality, fine accomodations and beautiful ocean scenery, walking the endless beach is just paradise...
Tulum is still on the raw, no highrises or commercial business, pretty natural and laid back

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sayarn
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was very nervous about taking my first solo vacation. I can confidently recommend Maya Tulum to anyone looking to recharge their batteries either alone, or with friends. The beach was amazing. The spa was top notch. You absolutely must get the Mayan Clay Massage. The best!!! The food was also great. I was nervous that it was all vegetarian, but after day 1 I had already forgotten. Very tasty! No complaints. Very relaxing and very safe. I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013
9 Thank Angiemanny
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I was so very pleased to have found Maya Tulum online and even more pleased that it exceeded my expectations for a relaxing rejuvenating vacation. I found the patient to be kind, attentive and knowledgeable.
I stayed in Cabana #14 which has two double beds. It was a perfect room, it was situated directly beside the restaurant. I am flabbergasted that people found the ocean 'too noisy' and hard to fall asleep to! I guess one has to complain about something?! My room was impeccably clean and comfortable. The front desk staff were so helpful with all of my inquiries.
The yoga was varied and at the same time, challenging. Just when I thought I was too tired from the yoga, it was time for restorative class - perfect timing. I had Myra and Emma for bodywork treatments (mayan clay and aromatherapy). They were so professional and both had a very calming/healing presence. I loved the beach, and walked 40 minutes to 1 hour of it every morning. I am not afraid of a little seaweed, the ocean is a living, changing thing. Because of the seaweed, there was more bird/butterfly activity on the Maya Tulum side of the beach. I appreciated this much more than the promise of a pristine beach. I don't think of a seaweed filled beach as dirty, and the staff were always present clearing the sand when they could.
The meals in the restaurant were terrific, and the staff even more so. They were so attentive, one of the wait staff (Manuel, I think), alerted me to the fact that there would be cheese in a dish I was interested in, remembering that I don't eat cheese from previous visits. The food was always fresh and delicious. Not terribly spicy, but if you asked - they would always accommodate.
I can't wait to go back. A great place for a solo traveler who wants to unplug.

Room Tip: I don't believe paying for the deluxe rooms are really worth it, my room was lovely - and one of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bbdfan
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Imagine being in a place where you are surrounded by wonderful people, have constant access to the beach, and the food is fabulous. It's like heaven, in fact.
Every day; the cooks outdid themselves with fantastic meals. There was always fresh fruit, and I never had so many different kinds of fruit juice. No matter what you needed, the staff was gracious, patient, helpful and kind. They speak Mayan, Spanish and English. No matter what your level of Spanish, they are helpful and friendly. You might even learn some Mayan while you are there.
A person could go an entire week there and never put on a pair of shoes! I would recommend this place to anyone. The only thing I didn't like were the mosquitoes.
The beach was gorgeous, the sand is carefully manicured every day. The rooms were beautiful and picturesque too.

Room Tip: If you like to hear the surf all night, choose an ocean view. I am so glad i did.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends