“Another trip to Paradise”
Review of Maya Tulum Resort

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #44 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Berkeley, California
“Another trip to Paradise”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

A year later and a return trip to Maya Tulum for Barbara Voinar's yoga retreat (Iyengar based) left me perfectly relaxed and refreshed. This is such a special place and spending time with a wonderful group in such a gorgeous and restorative environment is just what the doctor ordered for my overworked and stressed brain and body. The food continues to be incredible and the margaritas perfecto... muy fuerte! The staff is always ready to help with anything, the grounds stunning and the awesome beach/ocean with its white powdery sand and azul blue. I had 2 fantastic massages: a Reiki style massage with Chandree and a Swedish style with Aracelli. Maya Tulum is a very well run property and the rooms are clean and lovely with very comfortable mattresses, mosquito netting around the beds and local honey based shampoos and conditioners, etc. provided. I went with an ocean view room again this year but I've seen the garden view rooms and they are very nice too.

The weather was slightly cooler this year in the evenings so it got a little windy (light sweater) but my room was comfortable and there were extra blankets. The weather during the day was perfect - sunny and warm and the ocean delicious perfect temperature for swimming.

This is a place you can really relax. Can't wait to return next year.

2 Thank apotozkin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

MayaTulum is as nice as a resort can be without being too nice. (If you think there's no such thing as "too nice" MayaTulum probably isn't for you.) As for Tulum, it is the anti-Cancun: heavy on the yoga; light on the margaritas. MayaTulum serves alcohol but it's not a drinking crowd.
Pros:
The food: vegetarian buffet (also fish); tasty and healthy. The airy and smart dining room is not at all noisy. Barefoot dining.
The look: simple stone and stucco, well designed, well lighted public spaces, handsome gardens, quietly stylish, never fussy. The spa treatments: The bodyworkers offer a long menu of treatments for muscles and skin, face and body. These are first rate.
The beach: An endless strip of white sand. If you hike briskly for 45 minutes each way you don't cover half of it.
The lack of luxe. Nowhere else can you live such a pampered life without disgust.
Tulum itself: the opposite of Cancun. Nuff said.
The cons:
The Tulum wind. It blows constantly and sometimes fiercely. It ventilates your cabana even with all the windows closed. It blows all winter, including March. At night you want long sleeves, even a sweatshirt or jacket. Tulum in March feels about 10 degrees cooler than, say, Negril in February.
It could be lonely if you went alone. Many guests are in yoga groups.
The house yoga is flow, so not much for Iyengar yogis.
The lighting in the rooms is a little harsh. (Hint to management: hire a competent lighting designer to work up some fixtures better suited to compact flourescent bulbs.)
Bottom line: A resort for those who agree with Oscar Wilde that simple pleasures are the last refuge of the complex. But be warned: Tulum is a coast, not an island.

Room Tip: In January-March the cabanas on the beach are windy and noisy (serious surf). But they really are r...
2 Thank Jonathan R
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a very enjoyable time at the resort, and I hated coming back. I can see why people return year after year. BEACH - The beach is divided into two halves; one is beautiful white sand and clear blue water, and the other is a lagoon, which is beautiful in a rugged way. There are lounge chairs under umbrellas always available, and the resort is quiet and peaceful. You never hear or see any spring-break/party-people. CABANA - We stayed in an ocean-view cabana. You can't directly see the ocean, but you can always hear the crashing waves. I would go for ocean-view again, rather than spending the extra to be directly facing the beach. The cabanas are clean and pleasant. They aren't 4-star luxury but they are a step above mid-range hotel. FOOD - The food was excellent. There were only a few meals where the buffet looked uninteresting, but you can order off the menu at any time at no extra cost. Also, take advantage of the included fresh juices (as in, from a juicer), which you order off the menu. Best items: homemade granola at breakfast, fish tacos, ceviche, and a series of interesting salads that you would never make at home. YOGA - We did the yoga included with the resort package (rather than attending a retreat), and we enjoyed the variety of types of yoga. Our only comment was that it would have been nice to have a description of each class: Sem will KICK YOUR BUTT, and that was our first class - we were scared of what that meant for the rest of the classes! But the next class we attended was "restoration yoga," which was very mellow, so it's a mixed bag. TREATMENTS - I did sessions with Chandree, which were amazing. I tried the Yoot Keene treatment (with a different person) and didn't feel anything special, but some people think it's amazing. Only downside is that a lot of the treatment practitioners don't speak English, so you can't ask them to describe how the treatment will go or their thoughts. MISC - I went with my mom, and I was curious about men attending. It was about 1/3 men in attendance and everyone seemed to feel comfortable. I would definitely return with my boyfriend if we decided to go to Mexico again. We went on an excursion to Sian Kaan Muyil, which is really something unique and special. I would tell everyone to go on that trip.

3 Thank julieAskimagine
Seattle
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was our 4th stay at Maya Tulum; so that should say something in itself. If you've never been to Tulum, its still a quiet and tranquil getaway from the hustle and bustle of Cancun or even Playa. It has been built up these past few years, but Maya Tulum is still the same.

Seriously, the place is amazing. The food is so fresh and the beach is stunning. If you want a getaway thats 'off the grid' - go here.

The Massages are fantastic. I preferred the Holistic with Carmen and Aracelli.....but if you want a DEEP tissue, go with Elena.

My only complaint is the bed. Its hard as a rock - and it always has been.

Enjoy Tulum!

Room Tip: #1 is best for families. D and F are great for ocean view and #35 and #36 are awesome for ocean fro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tomatolord
ashland, or
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is a true eco-hotel. made from all natural materials. The rooms and beds were very comfortable. The shower water was warm all the time. This hotel is at an amazing location right on the ocean. We spent 9 days here a yoga retreat by Lotus Rising Retreats with Deanna. It was an amazing retreat. The food was buffet style and all inclusive and vegitarian and very delicious. The service was tip top. The staff was well trained, well managed, and happy to be working there. We definitely plan to come back again soon.

Room Tip: I'd choose a room that is on the ocean side, not the area to the right of the resturant, if faci...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank clifscca
dena2450, Public Relations Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Muchas muchas gracias for visiting us with the group!!!!

Hope you had a fabulous time and that we see you coming back soon!!!

California
Reviewed January 27, 2013

It was my first time visiting and I booked the Body, Mind and Spirit package. Everything was wonderful! The spa treatments were fantastic - rivaling every treatment i've had in LA. I had an ocean view cabana and was just steps from the beach. Everything is beautifully maintained while remaining true to the surroundings. The yoga classes were also great.Lovely, charming, quiet and low key. I hope it never changes. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Maincabinselect
Thank you so much for choosing our Mind, Body & Spirit package, it is designed to pamper your body, relax your mind and renew your spirit.

We are very thankful for your visit and we really hope to see you back soon!!!

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 11 nights at Maya Tulum for our honeymoon. This was our second trip to Maya Tulum. Last year we went with my now husband's family for Christmas. We loved it so much that we knew we wanted to return by ourselves for our honeymoon.

Maya Tulum is a complete haven where your entire body and mind can find peace and quiet in order rejuvenate and heal and find complete joy.

• MAYA TULUM FEELS LIKE IT IS IT'S OWN SECRET SPECIAL LITTLE RETREAT IN TULUM
We walked up and down the entire length of the beach looking to see if there might be a better spot than Maya Tulum and there is not. Maya Tulum is on a special part of the beach which coves in so you feel like it is secluded from the rest of the resorts. Other hotels are right on top of each other and the beaches feel crowded. Although Maya Tulum was fully booked, the beach was never crowded and it never felt like many people were there.

•THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PROPERTY
The hotel is perfectly landscaped and maintained. The sand is raked everyday along the paths. The cabanas are gorgeous. This year we stayed in 12 (Beach Front) and last year we stayed in 14 (Ocean View). Both rooms were amazing. The wind off the ocean is incredible and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach made us both so relaxed that we were asleep nightly between 8 and 9pm and slept until 6am, when the sun began rise, gently waking us up. The ocean was right in front of our room. We loved having our room right on the beach. It made everything very convenient. (A side note - I have now spent a total of 20 days at Maya Tulum and I don't know what the bug problem is that other people have written about. I brought bug spray both trips but neither of us ever used it.) It also sits in a nice section of the hotel zone where cabs to town or the Chedraui grocery store are only 60 pesos and cabs to the Sian Ka'an end of the beach are 40 to 50 pesos. Most of our favorite restaurants are all walking distance (Posada Margherita, El Tabano, Restaurare, and Zamas). Or 50 peso cabs to our other favorites La Zebra, Casa Banana, and Hartwood.

• AN AMAZING STAFF
We did not get the all inclusive Mind Body Spirit package so we ate at lots of different restaurants all over Tulum and experienced staff everywhere. I have to say that the staff at Maya Tulum must be the happiest people in Tulum. Gaby, Jose, Angel and many others in the restaurant were so wonderful and always smiling. Victor and Nestor and the two young guys at the front desk are so helpful with anything we needed. Melanie who helped with my reservation and trip plans over email was also very very helpful.

• THE SUBLIME SPA
We each had 4 spa treatments including a Temezcal (Mayan sweat lodge). We both had Reiki Combos with Gina which were divine. My husband had two deep tissue massages by Elodia and Araceli. He loved them both. I had a Mayan Yoot Keen with Elodia (I also had one by her last year). I highly highly recommend this Mayan massage. I also had a deep tissue massage by Lilian which might be the best massage I have ever had. The woman at the Spa front desk was so helpful and really lovely.

• THE BEST YOGA
We got to try out classes with all of the teachers at Maya Tulum. I go to yoga 5 to 6 days a week at home and the classes were very challenging at Maya Tulum and pushed me in a great way in my yoga practice. Sem, Victor, Maria, Tania, and Joanne are all wonderful teachers. But I must say that Alessandra's classes are so special that I cannot put into words what they did for me. Thank you!

Thank you for the amazing experience of being at Maya Tulum. Waking up to the sun peaking above the ocean horizon out our window, sipping delicious coffee on the beach in front of our cabana, walking the beautiful sand paths to the stunning yoga rooms, practicing yoga, eating a nourishing breakfast in the restaurant, and then spending the day in the sun or swimming in the beautiful clear warm water was a perfect honeymoon!

We can't wait to go back!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank S B
Words cannot explain the happiness our hearts feel when reading such a heartful review.

It is truly heart enhacing to read such beautiful feelings put into words.

Thank you for choosing us for such special occasions!!!!!!

We are looking forward to seeing you soon