“Retreat, disconnect and unwind, but be careful if you expect a "beachfront" room!”
Review of Maya Tulum Resort

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #45 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
North Carolina
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is my second yoga retreat here and it has become one of my favorite places in the world. It's quiet laid back and peaceful. As others have said, it's not necessarily the place to "party," (although quite a bit of wine was consumed on the beach at night!) If you're a vegetarian or vegan and into yoga, clear water and white sugar sand beaches, this is the place for you.
If I had to find anything to gripe about, it would be the "classification" of the room types. I paid over 4K (it was a retreat package for 2 including food) for a "beachfront super deluxe" room, and was very disappointed to be place on the "lagoon." I think their should be an additional classification for "lagoon front." The property comes to a sort of point on the water, and everything to the left (north) of the A villa is on the lagoon, and everything to the right (south) is on the beachfront. However the "beach" on the lagoon side is very uncrowded if you want to be alone.
Attached is a view from our room #21.

Room Tip: Find a map of the resort and request a room to the south of the A villa is you want to be close to t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank abosco
dena2450, SPA & Yoga Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Hola !

We are delighted to hear you love our little piece of paradise in the Mexican Caribbean so much!
Our conscious efforts in order to create a wonderful experience have "wow-ed" your stay.
For this recognition, I would like to thank you from the Maya Tulum family.

Regarding the room classification, we are sorry to hear our beach bay area was not what you expected. It is usually were the best sunrise view is appreciated. Walking to the small hill gives you an uplifted scenery, perfect for the pictures going back home. Please send us your preferred room area through our Reservations department prior to your arrival, so we can accomodate to your heart's desires.

We hope to see you back soon!

Tania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have not stayed in Maya Tulum because of the cost of the rooms, but every time we visit Tulum, we come almost each day for lunch/dinner/non-alcoholic drinks and for yoga. It is the best place for vegetarian (we are lactovegetarian) meal in Tulum, we think, especially that the service is so helpful. I really liked the waiter who would recognize us, and he knew exactly what we want, and what ingredients we could not have. Very professional and so thoughtful and personal. Food was very tasty, nicely presented, and some starters were served complimentary (chips and salsa). For me, it is indeed the best place in the world for a vegetarian meal, not only because of the food, but also service, views and the whole atmosphere. We think about our experience there very often!

We also really liked yoga there, and hopefully we can come back next year, although this time we would have a little boy coming with us and I am not sure whether they offer any babycare for the time of a yoga class, for instance. It would be greatly appreciated - we love yoga but would like a suitable baby care for our son for these times, and I would prefer to go for this via a hotel, or at least that a hotel can recommend safe, risk-free, and simply the best baby care available in the area.

The beach has wonderful views, great for photos, but I never swam there - for me the waves were always too high and there are also some rocks on one side of the beach. In general, in Tulum the waves were quite high, and probably not suitable for children (or for me since I am not a great swimmer), but Akumal is just a short drive if you want your babies to play in the water.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
dena2450, SPA & Yoga Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you very much for such a heartly review!

We are very happy to hear you found our food delicious!!! To create soul food is the passion of our chefs, who are constantly looking for new ideas to pamper your buds.

We do have babysitting service upon request, please contact our Reservations Manager through our website, so you can schedule this prior to your arrival!

Hope to see you soon so you can try our new freshly made jams! (Yes, they are made in here like our bread and granola!!!) The exotic flavours are one of a kind!

boston
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Excellent yoga retreat. Very pleasant, quiet, great yoga instructors. Great restaurant, mostly vegan but has eggs, fish, shrimp too. Very clean. Great staff, massage therapist Myra was excellent. Only come here if you participate in yoga, otherwise not much to do on site. Bring insect repellent.

Room Tip: definitely stay at a beachfront unit
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank charlielucky
dena2450, SPA & Yoga Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
On behalf of Maya Tulum’s family I would like to heartly thank you for such a great comment. It is very rewarding for us to realize our efforts have a positive impact before, during and after your stay.

I am grateful to hear our SPA & Yoga staff had a great impression! Every member of our family is very special and unique.

Boston
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I spend most of my vacations traveling to yoga retreats. I had dreamed of going to Maya Tulum for years and finally decided to spend the money. I have visited other yoga retreats for less money and been wowed, I enjoyed Maya Tulum but I was a little disappointed in comparison to experiences at places like Yoga Rocks or Kaliyoga.

The Good
Amazing Staff
Delicious Food
Great Yoga - though I attended a teacher retreat
Amazing Spa, best best best massage in the world

The Not So Good
Not their fault but the beach was loaded with stinky, heavy seaweed. If you walked a ways down the beach there was more swim friendly water but on the premises it was nearly impossible to enjoy the beach. Maybe this is seasonal b/c their photos do not show this at all.

I was fine with this, used to camping etc., but most people paying this much money may not be prepared so be warned - the casitas are lovely but you will have roaches, spiders, mosquitoes etc. And if you are on the beachfront expect to awake with sand in your bed.

The driver that I paid for to pick me up at the airport was late, lost me and left me waiting for about one hour or more. I have been to Mexico over 20 times, I know this airport and have never had trouble. I will save you the details of the story but the service was not seamless to say the least.

The rooms are hot. Again, I expected this, got over it, but do not go here and expect luxury.

All that said, it is a nice place. I just didn't find it to live up to it's reputation and have enjoyed many other yoga spots more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Sara K
Thank you very much for sharing with us your personal opinion observation !
Yes, seaweed is something we cannot control, it is the result from human work. Dead seaweed is the one is found at the seashore lines all around the world. It is the sea grass that is devastated by human actions ( i.e. cruises, oil filtrations both cooking oils and petrol, non biodegradable liquids in homes, etc). We are very conscious of this, and our efforts are reflected on using biodegradable liquids inside the property, as well as using our own sceptic system on site.

Thank you for choosing Maya Tulum, where we are in very close contact to the nature!!! Hope to see you next year during Turtle season! (August- October).

As every great lesson in life, for us is very important to have knowledge of our improvement opportunities in order to know what needs to be worked on in order to exceed your expectations, and continue doing from Maya Tulum a handmade piece of art.

In Lak’Ech

SPA&Yoga M.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I went here as a guest while my partner did a yoga retreat. Everything was serene and beautiful about this place. The only reason I give it less than 5 stars is the food was just meh. The staff was incredible. There was a hurricane during our stay and they reacted professionally and hospitably, evacuating us when needed and working overtime to restore the facility.
One recommendation is getting bodywork with Leon. He is incredible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank terraincognita66
dena2450, SPA & Yoga Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Muchas gracias for the recognition of our family during Ernesto. For us you are our "Numero Uno" =) and it is very encouraging to hear you went with a happy memory from our home!!!!

I would love to let you know, our menus and buffet have received a freshen up!!!!! Freshly made from scratch curry among many new recipes are now available!!!! Hope to see you back so you can try our tasty options!!!!

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I came here after researching remote beach resorts and seeing that they offered yoga, healthy food an no TV or Internet. I was in desperate need to relax and recharge. Maya Tulum exceeded all of my expectations. Tulum is spectacularly beautiful and there is an indescribably strong and peaceful energy here. The yoga is challenging and the teacher really passionate. Tania and Victor are standout instructors who are excellent at both the yoga and meditation. The food is amazing. Not a single bad meal. Fish tacos, veg sandwich, guajillo fish and granola are my favs but honestly it's all so good, fresh an filling. Dont Let the vegetarian thing fool you the food is so satisfying.

If you're looking to restore yourself and feel healthier in body, spirit and mind this is the place.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Sassysandyg
Muchas muchas gracias for your review!!!!!!!

I am very happy to hear the acnowledgement on every single aspect we are very proud of!!! And this means Maya Tulum as a whole =) . From our Yoga Teachers to our food, our fabulous SPA - whose STAFF is not therapists but TRUE healers - our comfy and welcoming rooms, our Maya Tulum family who put their hearts daily on each and everyone of their actions!!!!!

Hope to see you back soon!!!!!

( I am another You)
Palm City, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had read many of the reviews on this site before I went to Mayatulum but I was still amazed! The grounds are meticulously attended to with the staff raking the sand on the walkways early in the morning. The staff including the front office, spa services, dining area, and housekeeping did an excellent job. Speaking of spa services: the quality of consistent spa services was unparelled!
The attention to detail was apparent everywhere I turned. The food was wonderful along with the fresh juices. I could go on forever, but the best thing to do is check it out yourself. No shoes, no makeup, no electronics for a week. I'm sane again....

Room Tip: If you stay on the ocean it can be loud at night and if it rains it get wet, but it still is amazing...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Believer01
Muchas gracias for such an enthusiastic review!!!!!!

We are heartly grateful all of our effort towards details and excellence are warmly received and remembered when you get home.

We hope to see you back soon =)