“This place escapes language! Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Playa Esperanza

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Playa Esperanza
Ranked #12 of 119 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
New York City, New York
“This place escapes language! Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I truly can't find the words to describe the experience at Playa Esperanza. I was hesitant to write this review as I want to keep this place as much as a secret as possible, but I have to share the amazing experience we had.

I have been to Tulum several times, stayed before at Copal (when they were running full) and this was the best time I've had yet. To start, the process of booking is made easy by Jenny who is extremely accommodating and nice. Once you arrive, you'll meet great staff very friendly, very relax and nice. The property is beautiful, right on the most beautiful stretch of beach in Tulum; Playa Esperanza's decoration and overall ambiance is extremely relaxing. The property is well maintained, we stayed in the Elo Suite, thanks to Jenny who upgraded us upon arrival. This room is very spacious and has beautiful lighting at night. The deck offers comfortable seating with great beach view and you are steps away from the water. The staff lights up torches at night this along with the candles and soft lighting creates a very romantic environment.

We also ate at Nuestra Cocina Mexicana, which is a small restaurant in the property. They make great food, it may seem pricey for Tulum, but it is right on the beach and compared to neighboring restaurants (Paraiso and La Vita e Bella) is by far the best, in price and taste. The staff here is also great.

In order to address some of the minor complaints I've read, my husband and I stayed for nine nights, where we had windy nights, calm nights, rainy days, sunny days and a storm in all weather conditions the cabana was great. The heat was never unbearable and the cabana did not fill up with water when it poured. Water does get in a bit by the door but nothing major. The restroom does get it's share of water if it pours, but you let the staff know and they'll clean it right away, they are constantly checking to make sure everything is okay and if you need anything. I hope this addresses a review I read that water gets in everywhere, which is not true. The section of the beach that Esperanza can be one of the busiest in Tulum, but it is also the prettiest, I visited in August and therefore it was not extremely busy nor loud.

My husband and I truly enjoyed the peaceful and relaxed time we had at Playa Esperanza and are both very grateful to have met such a place with an amazing staff. If you like to enjoy nature and hate overcrowded hotels, this is your place.

Room Tip: I think the best rooms are (in order) Joseja abajo, Elo Suite, Elo Junior and Josefa arriba.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anay M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
tulum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We found this little piece of heaven by chance, walking in off the beach, and just fell in love with the simple atmosphere. The staff was super helpful, the cabins were lovingly decorated and very reasonably priced, and the little restaurant inside was delicious (although a little pricey). It has plenty of hammocks and beach chairs, tiki torches to light the paths at night, and a feeling of being well taken care of. We will definitely be back! Thanks so much!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kimberly g
Colima, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Walked up to it by chance, took a tour, checked in, sunned, swam, watched the kite lessons (I thought it was relaxing and interesting to watch, and they were not loud), took a nap, drove up to town for icecream, was back before the gate locks (11:00pm), followed the tiki torches to the shower, rinsed off (eco plumbing so short and sweet is best), mosquito net worked great, was warm but opened window provided breeze, early rain made us use our sheet for warmth, no leaking in our Pirate room, swinging bed was surprisingly stable, would have stayed another night if the rain hadn't come. Tulum is my favorite beach, lots of shade, hammocks, and atmosphere at this place. Everyone was friendly, but we had privacy.

Room Tip: ECO means a lot of things. Bring beach towels, bug spray, and a flashlight app.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MelBSLMiss
pilarrgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I found Playa Esperanza by accident and felt like I hit the jack pot. It was not on the list of hotels provided by my friend getting married in Tulum, but lucked out to have found this place versus staying at one of the more crowded places in "town".
It's beautifully done with many great little artistic details scattered around the property. The staff was friendly and took great care of me. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, and perfect for my stay in Tulum. The other guests were all quiet and respectful making for a relxing environment. And to top it all off... I had one of the best meals of my life Pulpo al Patron (the freshest octopus I've ever had the privilege of having) on my last night at the quaint little hotel restaurant - Nuestra Cocina - in the sand.
It is a little bit out of town, but nothing a good bike ride or an inexpensive taxi ride can't change. I actually enjoyed being out of the center of it all... able to go visit... and then retreat to my little haven at Playa Esperanza.
Also, I was a single, woman traveler and felt completely safe.
All in all, I would say it was a perfect vacation at Playa Esperanza. Next time in Tulum, there is no question that this is where I would stay.

Room Tip: Elo Junior was small but perfect for one to two travelers... can't beat the location... just abo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank pilarrgh
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We just spent three of the best days with friends at this fabulous location!
The staff Jenny, Julia, and Tom couldn't do enough for us including lighting tiki torches around the entire property as the sun went down!

We had the Elo Suites which were joined and literally 20 steps to the turquoise waters of one of the most beautiful beaches in the world! The rooms were very clean and comfortable with showers!
We had rented the kitchen so we could bbq our own meals and eat at the outdoor dining table on the kitchen terrace! The stone bbq area was perfect for sitting around as it is wood fired and all of our meals were amazing! The restaurant on the property is the perfect romantic setting, but we only had breakfast there one day which was a little pricey but good! Vanessa the lady that runs the restaurant is extremely pleasant and does a beautiful job! The dinner menu looked reasonable but again half of our fun was cooking the dinners and having drinks by the fire!
I'm a little hesitant at sharing this place as it truly is one of the world's best kept secrets!!
Because I live 35 minutes away I'm already booking for a few nights this month!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Happy154943
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Ignore the negative reviews! This place is perfect - very simple, rustic cabanas on the beach. If you are looking for a luxury 5* resort with a penthouse suite then this is not the place. The beach is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and totally peaceful and quiet. There are a few kite surfers now and then but they cause no problem or disturbance, it is cool to watch. The owners and everyone who works there is so friendly and helpful. The restaurant is amazing too with great food and drinks. We loved this place, I hope you do too.

Room Tip: We stayed in Elo Suite for one night which was amazing. The in El Pirata which was great but has a s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Saffron12345
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We arrived at Playa Esperanza in the afternoon. We were warmly greeted by the owner with complimentary cocktails and appetizers in their new restaurant, which is adorable and yummy by the way! Our room was amazing and we could not believe how beautiful this place was!!!! We could seriously see the ocean from our pillows. No matter where you are at this resort, you are ALWAYS on the beach, walking in powder soft sand and can hear the waves :D There are no rocks and the water is crystal clear. You couldn't find a better beach. There is a kite boarding place on the property, which was SO much fun to watch while we laid in the sun. Like a free show :D This is a rustic type of place, kind of like camping but SO much better, because you have a real bed, beautiful room with a key and maid service every day, yummy food and drinks and it’s the most amazing ambiance you could imagine. The owner is SO talented, it’s art no matter where you look.

We had our own bathroom, but the one they have to share is VERY nice and clean. There is no hot water, but that wasn’t a big deal to us, just get in, get clean and get out. The water temp was about the same as a swimming pool. Just bring some flip flops for when you go to use it, cuz the floor can be wet sometimes from people taking showers, but they clean it often and it’s really cute.

There is a one room spa on site that is so beautiful and it's right on the beach so that you can listen to the waves during. It was one of the best massages I have ever gotten. I got the hour long Swedish massage.

Our favorite place to eat was Mateo's which was right up the road. Because Playa Esperanza is kind of like camping, you are able to fill your own cooler with drinks and food and not spend a cent anywhere else if you like, but we liked leaving and finding a little more action in the evenings and Mateo’s was our fave for sure! We brought our own thermo beach cups to keep our drinks cold and were making our own drinks. Mateo's let us bring our cups in and didn't even blink. Then we would just go back to our trunk and fill up when needed. We did spend plenty on food and some more specialty drinks and shots though :)

We didn't see one mosquito the entire trip, but I still like that we had the netting around our bed. I slept better knowing that no bugs could get me :) Plus the sound of the waves helped a bit ;)

We were really sad to leave this place and can't wait to go back. I will be getting another hour long massage, eating at Mateo's and spending time tanning on this amazing beach! Only regret I have is that I couldn't stay longer. Thank you for such an amazing experience and for creating one of the most romantic places I have ever been. We will see you soon!

Matt & Lisa

Room Tip: The only tip I can think of is that the electricity runs from sundown to midnight, so be sure to cha...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple