“Picture Perfect View”
Review of Zamas

Zamas
Ranked #17 of 101 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Zamas is AMAZING! We had a small (extremely tiny) 'hut' right on the beach ... king bed, toilet, shower, and a sink ... clean, cute, comfortable. No dresser for storage, no A/C, no hairdryer, no tv. For us, this was perfect ... we had beautiful sunrises in the morning, the ocean 10 steps from our room, the breeze and beach sounds being carried through our hut, and no digital distractions!! It was truly the perfect way to disconnect from the world. The only thing I would say about our 'hut' is that early morning you started to hear the street traffic since the windows were open, but we got used to it and were up fairly early anyways. Zamas has a wonderful restaurant ... we ate there several times and everything was delicious. The location is close to many other awesome restaurants, bike/scooter rentals, the Tulum ruins, and shops. The service was very good ... friendly and accommodating! I would definitely go back to Zamas in a heart beat!

Room Tip: We stayed in hut 5 ... last one along the beach. Nice, but noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela N

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed at Zamas for 5 nights in April and it was absolutely fantastic. Postcard-perfect views, incredible beach, sweet and cozy rooms and excellent staff. A great place if you have kids (except if you stay across the road, it could feel dangerous with toddlers). Our kids are old enough to cross the street by themselves, but still it's a bit scary at night walking so close to moving cars. We loved the laid-back vibe of the place. But if you need attention and guidance, Rodrigo and Max are always available and happy to help. We loved Zamas! Will return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: If you have little kids or go to sleep early, I'd suggest not getting one of the rooms near the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Liz D
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Oh Zamas,

How I miss you!
How I miss your wonderful accommodations: simple, comfortable, elegant.
How I miss your waves lapping at my door: white sand, rock formations, birds galore (Pelicans!),
How I miss your beautiful waters and all that they behold.
How I miss your delicious, perfect food, served with such panache.
How I miss your wonderful staff, all.
How I miss your fantastic nightlife, music, dancing, toes in sand (no heels allowed)...

How I miss how simply wonderful you made me feel for 6 days and nights.

Thank you!

We Love You...

Judy + Willie

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank judith b
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have been there on April 28 2014 for dinner with the family. We found the food good and the atmosphere absolutely fine. We had a candle light dinner with great music and service. The view on the beach is great and the wind blowing it is warn and steady. Great romantic experience.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The staff is very friendly and will do whatever it takes to make sure you have a great stay. The service can be slow but what's the rush? You're on vacation! We stayed in an amazing room across the busy street from the beach. There were only two of us and the room could have easily accommodated 4 or 5. We had a great view of the water and a large wrap around deck with hammocks and chairs. The beach at the property is pretty small but a good spot to lay out. The hotel is in a great spot with lots of shops and places to walk to.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I just returned from a week long vacation at Zamas with 2 close friends. We had the time of our life and are already trying to figure out how to return! We were seeking a laid back atmosphere with just enough amenities to feel comfortable with accessibility to all the things Tulum has to offer. Zamas was exactly what we were looking for! Upon arrival we were greeted by Salvadore. He gave us a warm welcome and immediately made us feel at home. We arrived several hours before our scheduled check in. Salvadore offered to watch our bags and pointed us to the restroom so we could change in to our bathing suits. We were in a lounge chair drinking a pina colada about 5 minutes upon arrival! Our room was ready early and Salvadore carried our bags and escorted us to our room which was spacious and comfortable. The beds were extremely comfortable. Each bed has a mosquito net but I did not see a bug my entire stay and never needed the netting. The room is equipped with fans but honestly we had a lovely breeze through the place all week and never needed a fan! There is hot water and a great shower head. They provide you with a large water jug for drinking. All the rooms have at least one hammock hanging outside which we used for our afternoon siesta.

Zamas is situated on a little rocky shoreline. The beach has several lounge chairs with comfortable cushions. Shade is available if that is what you desire. There is a small area to swim next to the dive boats. We spent a lot of time in the water and did not have a problem with the size of the beach, the boats, rocky shoreline or seaweed. It is incredible. The weather could not have been nicer and there was a constant breeze.

Prior to our trip I checked out the Zamas facebook page and saw photographs of what appeared to be incredible food and live entertainment. I had my fingers crossed it was as good as it looked. I can't decide what I loved the most about Zamas because everything was perfect. The food is excellent. We had lovely candlelit dinners listening to the waves crash and feeling sand in our toes while listening to great live local music nightly. I ate Huevos Rancheros almost every day for breakfast and they will even deliver it to your lounge chair on the beach.

Zamas is located near the road to town. There are several restaurants, hotels, gift shops within walking distance. Town is an easy bike ride. We rented bikes and made several trips to town to buy groceries, eat in small local establishments and explore. We also road our bikes down the beach road indulging in happy hour at various spots, checking out the Sian Ka'an nature reserve and some cool cenotes for a snorkel. We loved having our bikes to explore and get exercise.

Getting there...one of my friends and I took a shuttle from the Cancun airport with USA transfers in an air conditioned new van. Our other friend took the ADO bus and said it was super smooth. The buses leave from the airport, change in Playa del Carmen and drop you in town in Tulum. Buses were cheap, she took a taxi from town for around $6.

Overall, this was one of the best vacations I have ever had in my life. I attribute this to the laid back atmosphere of Tulum in general but the outstanding attention to detail and personalized service offered at Zamas. I met a guy in town who used to work at Zamas. When I told him where I was staying he said he has worked at a few hotels and Zamas was the best one. He could not say enough about the owners and how well they treat their employees. I don't doubt this as everyone we came in contact with had a smile on their face and made us feel at home.

Zamas, thank you for an amazing experience. I hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Our room was across the street in the garden. They are very close to the ocean and you can hear the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Wendy L
Reviewed April 23, 2014

If you want to experience a total rejuvenation of spirit by the beautiful water of Tulum, look no further. Five of us (college friends) spent five days at Zamas and we totally loved the rooms (with balcony) (jungle side), the restaurant is fabulous and Zamas has live music every night. Best of all for me was the excellent staff and management. From the reception desk to the wait staff to the guys who rake the sand every morning, just delightful, helpful, friendly and always willing to assist a bunch of sixty year old women who ate and drank just about everything on the menu --mojitos, yes. We even loved the jewelry and local artists' wares. The only downside is that the road on which Zamas is located is quite busy at times - but that is beyond the control of Zamas' owners. I even talked to the owner of the dive shop across the street about the road and he told me that there was talk about extending a bike path. So we should start a petition about a bike path. That would be brilliant. This area has changed dramatically in recent years and has a cool kind of vibe but I would go back in Zamas in a heartbeat. The view is dramatic, the beach and water were perfect for us, and all in all, I thought the prices were fair considering the location and ambiance of the property. Susan was delightful and catered to our needs. So, here is a toast to the owners and employees of Zamas - well done! I really miss the pelicans today. They put on quite a show - for free! Highly recommend the reserve that can be arranged by Zamas staff - ask for Fernando our guide was knowledge, multi lingual and good sense of humor. He kindly assisted me in and out of boats since my knees are in bad shape. I give him five stars! Don't miss Tulum the Mayan site. Could have stayed here for two weeks and found interesting things to do and see. Five stars all around.

Room Tip: Jungle side with balcony - huge bathroom - loved the open shower.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends