“As close to Bali as I will get in my lifetime”
Review of Zamas

Zamas
Ranked #20 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed April 23, 2014

If you want to experience a total rejuvenation of spirit by the beautiful water of Tulum, look no further. Five of us (college friends) spent five days at Zamas and we totally loved the rooms (with balcony) (jungle side), the restaurant is fabulous and Zamas has live music every night. Best of all for me was the excellent staff and management. From the reception desk to the wait staff to the guys who rake the sand every morning, just delightful, helpful, friendly and always willing to assist a bunch of sixty year old women who ate and drank just about everything on the menu --mojitos, yes. We even loved the jewelry and local artists' wares. The only downside is that the road on which Zamas is located is quite busy at times - but that is beyond the control of Zamas' owners. I even talked to the owner of the dive shop across the street about the road and he told me that there was talk about extending a bike path. So we should start a petition about a bike path. That would be brilliant. This area has changed dramatically in recent years and has a cool kind of vibe but I would go back in Zamas in a heartbeat. The view is dramatic, the beach and water were perfect for us, and all in all, I thought the prices were fair considering the location and ambiance of the property. Susan was delightful and catered to our needs. So, here is a toast to the owners and employees of Zamas - well done! I really miss the pelicans today. They put on quite a show - for free! Highly recommend the reserve that can be arranged by Zamas staff - ask for Fernando our guide was knowledge, multi lingual and good sense of humor. He kindly assisted me in and out of boats since my knees are in bad shape. I give him five stars! Don't miss Tulum the Mayan site. Could have stayed here for two weeks and found interesting things to do and see. Five stars all around.

Room Tip: Jungle side with balcony - huge bathroom - loved the open shower.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank headwinds01
There are newer reviews for Zamas

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I traveled for about 16 days to include Caye Caulker and this was my last "vacation spot" for 4 days before I headed back home. It is located in a great spot and the rooms were awesome! I was very impressed with everything to include the two front desk gentlemen!
The only thing I did not line was 1. The mosquito net around the bed. It made it kind of a hassle when I had to get up in the middle if the night but it was not a really big hassle. 2. The restraunt servers take a little too long to give you your bill or take your orders. But I found this true on all the rest of the restraunts as well so I guess it's a Tulum thing?
Overall I would definitely recommend this place to anyone and I would difinitely come back again to Zamas Hotel. We had the garden suite across the road vs the beach suite and it was well worth it!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Great location on water and great food. A bit pricey but very good, we always eat lunch there at least once. Ceviche, fish tacos, yum! Kids can play on beach while you enjoy a cold beverage. They also have cabanas and bungalows but its roughing it without power, etc.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Arvada_D
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Zamas in mid March 2014 and we both loved it.

We stayed in the small beachfront cabana no 3 which is the furtherest from the restaurant, possibly closest to the road. We did find it very noisy the first night but not so much the road noise as the wind. The wind seemed to build up by the evening and for whatever reason our room really caught the breeze. So we were waking regularly on our first night. We got used to this for the next two nights and then suddenly on our last night, the wind disappeared and it was blissfully quiet with just the ocean sounds lulling us to sleep :)

The cabana itself was very cute. Rather small but we only used it to sleep, wash and change in. The location on the beach was so awesome that there was no need to stay in the room. There are 2 hammocks outside and we never had trouble getting beach loungers right outside our room.

Some of the beach at Zamas can be a bit rocky but just to the right of our cabana is some nice swimming water. When that wind died off this area was beautiful for swimming and so clean and clear. Yes, the diving company anchors their boats in this swimming area which is a little annoying but doesn't have to affect your experience here

Zamas is probably in the best spot along the beach road, as there are several good bars and restaurants right across the road, tho Zamas themselves are probably the best restaurant on the beach anyway. You can also hire bikes for $100mx per day just a couple hundred meters down the road. These are great as the pueblo, ruins and other worthy attractions are biking distance from Zamas, and it's a fun way to get around Tulum - very safe

Staff are very friendly and helpful and the room servicing was top notch! They turn down the room each night, prepping the netting over the bed. Netting obviously works well as we didn't use any repellant and didn't get bitten once.

There is no A/C but it wasn't needed in March. We did use the ceiling fan which did the trick along with the breeze that came thru (bit more than desired for the first few nights).

I walked the beach, south, every morning, to just south of Ziggys, and I think we picked a great place in Zamas. The beach is full of weed from El Pez right thru to Amansala and they don't seem to clear it. Some places can be very smelly from the weed. They don't have this problem at Zamas.

The food at the restaurant is very fresh and tasty and the prices are very reasonable. My husband enjoyed the fresh fish caught in the afternoon and on his plate for dinner! The pizza is very good too. French toast for breakfast was excellent.

There is no fridge in the cabanas so we bought a bucket at the supermarket down the road, filled it with ice, and our beers, to enjoy outside our cabana. Tho the prices at Zamas are reasonable too. You could also get a polystyrene bin with lid at the Xoxo down the road ( we didn't know until we already had the bucket!)

I hope I get the chance to return to Tulum, and of course Zamas, someday in the future. Thanks for making our Mexican experience such an awesome one :)

Room Tip: Cabanas right on the beach but be prepared for the noise of the ocean and possibly the wind. Still w...
3  Thank KPwhanau
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Zamas and Tulum were exactly what we were looking for during the winter of 2014. We rented a cabana across the street from the beach and restaurant which had 2 double beds. The beds were very comfortable. They have a big drinking water dispenser with glasses for the room and filling up water bottles. It was replaced at least twice while we were there. There was good air movement through the room, but we also had a ceiling fan and an oscillating fan for a little more air movement. The building (#12) was all our own, elevated above the ground with an excellent front porch that looked at the sea. The porch had 2 hammocks and 2 chairs and always had a breeze. There were iguanas in the garden. With the fence separating the garden from the road - you couldn't really see the road, but you could see the sea and hear the waves.
The beach was small but nice. Our 1st day there I was about to walk into the water in the rocky area and saw a ray. Decided to stay in the designated swimming section which had a sandy bottom, once you got out a little further there were rocks. I chose to do the ray shuffle - leading with my toes in the sand to move any rays instead of stepping on them.
We enjoyed some of our meals at the restaurant (breakfast, lunch and dinner). It was easy to sign the receipt with your room number and signature and total out the bill at the end of your stay. Even if we didn't eat there, we tried to catch some of the live music and a drink in the evening. Great margaritas and cold beer. The restaurant wi-fi worked well. Almost felt guilty using it as it really felt like we were off the grid. Food by candle light, no A.C. (didn't need it), mosquito netting over the beds.
Very nice staff. The reception staff helped us arrange a taxi to Akumal (for snorkeling). They recommended the bike rental place where for 100 pesos you could rent a bike for the day (needed to have it back by 6:00). We road bikes into Tulum, to the Tulum ruins and to Sian Ka'an reserve (each was probably about 5 km away). We also road bikes to a big super store close to town to use the ATMs there.
There were always plenty of taxis to go into Tulum or anywhere else you would like to go. We took one into Tulum to eat at El Camello which was great and recommended.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed in a beachfront cabana for 5 nights in March.
The staff were friendly and approachable.
The room was small, but we expected this, and it wasn't small enough to worry about, particularly when it was located right on the beach, just a few steps from the sea. The bed was comfortable, and the room was kept well. There is no a/c, but there is enough breeze from the sea that it isn't needed (in March).
The restaurant was the best in Tulum - not only for the beautiful seafront location. The food was fantastic - well priced and fresh ingredients.
There is live music every night at the restaurant, which can be heard in the room, but it doens't continue any later than 9.30/10pm.
This is probably one of the best located hotels also - there is a dive shop just behind (Mexidivers) who were great and it is on the first stretch of the 'beach road', which probably has the most going on, as well as being closest to Tulum town.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We've traveled to the Tulum area three times in the past four years and each time we've built in a stay at Zamas. It's convenient, comfortable, on a spectacular beach and the restaurant has some of the best food in the region -- and great music at night. It's hard to go wrong here. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple