Zamas
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bejuco Hotel Tulum(Riviera Maya)
Piedra Escondida(Tulum)
  • Breakfast included
Azulik(Tulum)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsque frescosmall beachfrontlive music every nightbeach frontmexi diversgreat live musicdive shoplaid backmosquito netbeachfront bungalowocean viewfish tacosbeach roadplaya del carmenno air conditioningwatch the sunriseguacamole
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at Zamas in November 2013. We stayed in one of the beach front cabanas, it was well worth paying extra for absolute beachfront! The cabanas have gorgeous mexican decor and hammocks out the front ideal for lazy beach days. We loved the friendly staff, the food at the restaurant and exploring Tulum on our rented bikes. Tulum is such a laid-back destination, ideal for couples wanting a relaxing getaway in a stunning location.

Room Tip: Beach front cabana - step out of your cabana directly onto the beach!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlohaBonna
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Resorts and beaches worldwide self-proclaim their amenities and scenery as paradisal, but Zamas Hotel in vibrant Tulum, Mexico is the closest I have come to such a down-to-earth elysium. With a timeless waterside restaurant and a handful of quaint, thatched roofed residences hugging the curving coast of a white sand beach, Zamas is the perfect haven for a relaxing romantic getaway or even a retreat with the family.

And this from a reluctant vacationer! My girlfriend was the one that insisted we head to Mexico to get away from the depressing frigidity that is New York City in February, but as a teacher in one of the most expensive cities in the world, I wasn't all that prepared to spend a wealth of non-existent "vacation funds" on international travel. However, we made it work, much thanks to Zamas's extremely reasonable prices for food, drinks and lodging.

Truly, Zamas is a diamond in the rough that I will forever recommend to friends, family, and Internet researchers seeking a blissful escape. It's not just the beauty by day that captures you, it is the flavorful, locally inspired dishes available at all hours, the swinging hammocks and canopy enclosed beds, the candle lit concerts under a sea of stars, the ceaseless serenity of breaking waves, the midday mojitos with sugar cane garnishes, and, most of all, the exceptional service of a dedicated staff eager to improve your stay.

I feel like I sound like a writer for the Tulum Board of Tourism, and for that I apologize. However, as I write this at 31,000 feet on my return flight to reality, I just want to make sure my message is clear - I loved my stay at Zamas, I can't wait to go back, and if you can, I hope you give it a try.

Buen viaje!

Room Tip: The best residences are located right on the beach. They are small and low-key, but extremely comfortable and include gorgeous views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Josh W
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed two nights at Zamas (which appropriately means "dawn" in Mayan). We had booked a garden jungle room, more garden than jungle, large, spacious, quiet although on the beachfront road, imaginatively decorated, with a queen size bed (too small) but two extra beds. However, on the first night we were upgraded to one of the beachfront cabanas (number 8) which was about as idyllic as one could hope for, literally a twenty foot walk across the sand into the water or a forty foot walk to the restaurant. Someone described it as a place which had acquired electricity and hot water without losing its bohemian roots. Well, the bohemian roots and the electricity have survived but not always the hot water. The restaurant looks like everybody's Caribbean image, and the food was fine with service which even by Mexican standards was slow. Minor niggles - an unbeatable location.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher D
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Had an amazing 5 nights stayed at Zamas. The hotel is beautiful and well located in Tulum. Had a garden room, which was lovely, big, well decorated and the bed was quite comfy. Even though it was a garden room, one could still hear the sound of the ocean when sleeping at night which was very pleasant. The restaurant at Zamas serve outstanding foods, drinks, and service was great. Love the beach in front of Zamas, very soft white sand and the water was warm. Want to say thank you to Susan, Max, Salvator, and everyone at Zamas for an amazing friendly service. Really enjoy my stayed and looking forward to returning next year again to Zamas.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Zamas is I fact an amazing hotel. The size of the rooms are huge and tastefully decorated to the regions trend. Our first experience of the restaurant was ok. The food is good but when we went to pay we were given the bill in a folder and on top of the bill was a little paper that said: tip 10% if good service, 15 if great and 20% if wow. At first we thought funny and cheeky but when when we realized that every time we came to the bar we were met with the same paper we realized that service was expected rather then something you give as a reward. In the end it put a damper on things because when we were on the beach or the resort itself we had to carry money with us. Tipping is expected. On our last day after the maid cleaned the room we found a little envelope saying thank you for staying and obvious more tips. So the bottom line is you pay as much as a 5 star hotel in Central London. Food are London prices and then on top of that I actually have to pay for the efforts of the staff doing the jobs that they are paid to do. I always tip if service is good. But I refuse to tip when the hotel tells me I must do so. Awfull experience.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alexandre L
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations and found ZAMAS to be an “amazing hotel.”

We have a mix of guests from around the world and many have asked about appropriate service levels. We provide casual notes, almost “cheeky” as you mentioned, to inform our guests about tipping norms in Mexico. However, it appears you felt pressured rather than informed. We’re truly sorry these notes detracted from what otherwise would have been a delightful stay. We’ll review our policies on this to improve our communication with our guests.

We continually strive to provide outstanding service with the goal of providing a truly fabulous stay for each guest. Carefree and with no cash on hand, guests may charge meals and incidentals to their rooms – at hotel and restaurant prices that we consider to be very competitive for Tulum. We’re truly sorry that the service guideline notes made you feel less carefree during your stay.

When you return to Tulum, we hope you will consider staying with us again at ZAMAS. Please let us know ahead of time and we will do everything we can to make your stay truly fabulous. And we will be sure to eliminate any “cheeky” notes and let simply “amazing” be your experience!

Warmest regards from all of us at ZAMAS.