“What a great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Zamas

Zamas
Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
New York City
“What a great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Well, my girlfriend and I stayed @ Zamas recently and really enjoyed ourselves. We stayed right on the beach, enjoyed beautiful sunrises, delicious guacamole and fresh shrimp, and some downright tasty tequila. Rates are very reasonable, staff is courteous, helpful, and very friendly. The rooms were very clean, the showers were awesome, and proximity to many Tulum attractions makes Zamas a can't miss choice for your trip. When you go, be sure to say hi to Roger!

--Jon + Gillian

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thanks for staying with us at ZAMAS and sharing your experience here. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed your room, the beautiful sunrises, and the delicious food and drink!!! Roger says “hola” and we all look forward to your return stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My friends and I were overwhelmed by our stay at Zamas. It was even better than we imagined it would be, and we were all quite excited to begin with. The staff, the location, the variety of wonderful things to do and see made every day lovely. Town, a large grocery store, the ruins, a convenient bodega, and choices for food and beach lounging were all a walk, bike ride, or economical cab ride away. The biosphere was amazing too! I recommend a tour with the option to float through the mangrove canals.
Zamas is in a great central location but still quiet with its own beach and amazing food! I can't wait to go back again! Thanks, Susan and Zamas!

• Stayed March 2013
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for the lovely comments about ZAMAS – we're thrilled that you loved Tulum and we're so happy that we made your trip that much more special by staying with us. We look forward to your return visit very soon!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My friends and I stayed at Zamas from March 23-30. We had the most amazing time in Tulum and a big, big part of that was how incredible our location was at Zamas. The house we stayed in was incredible (truly), conveniently located, comfortable, and was always kept clean. The staff at Zamas was always extremely friendly and helpful. We felt very well taken care of at Zamas. It was a magical and luxurious trip and a big part of that was Zamas. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff and the service that they provided during your stay. Customer service is our most important priority; we want our guests to feel that they are well cared for at ZAMAS. Likewise, we strive to provide a connection with the local ambiance and community. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to having you stay with us again very soon!
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

My first trip to Tulum was made incredible because of the lovely and professional staff at Zamas. Even before my trip started, they were one of the first hotels that answered my emails/questions and helped to arrange my transport to and from CUN.
When I arrived everyone "knew" me already and treated me like an old friend or recurring guest. Everyone was SO pleasant, happy to help, and dedicated to making my trip fun.
I had a jungle suite looking at the ocean from across the road. The room was bright, airy, and kept clean and replenished with beach towels daily. Honestly, my friend and I did not stay in the room that often, but it was a beautifully tiled, typical Mexican style bungalow (although attached to a larger villa).
The most important aspect of Zamas were the people there. Roger and Mariano became great company and gave my friend and I alot of local tips because we didn't want to do all of the touristy stuff. We love food and every suggestion they gave us (from taco trucks to tulum town seafood) was spot on. Every day either Roger or Mariano spent time hanging out with us at night and listened to our daily reports. It was just fun heading back home to the hotel everynight where even the wait staff knew our name (maybe this is the tulum version of Cheers?).
I first saw Zamas on Jetsetter and it definitely is on the level of a cool, laid back, Carribean place without the hipster factor or pretense. While I definitely saw some bad client behavior there, I never saw anyone at Zamas get impatient or change their attitude. They are genuinely service oriented and truly want their guests to have a wonderful time in Tulum.

Room Tip: beach bungalows are on the ocean. jungle rooms are off the road but you can still see and hear the o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spent 5 days here during the first week of March. Our second trip in four years. We ARE coming back next year with our kids and grandkids! I read a review where someone wrote that the food is ok....... where did they eat? Surely not at Zamas. We eat almost all of our meals there because the food, drinks, service and location are fantastic! Friendly staff. Crisply clean rooms each day. Really good music 3 nights per week. Roll out of bed, shuffle out to the restaurant (at the beach), watch the sun rise, get great coffee and food.... and never put on your shoes. What's not to love?

Room Tip: We like to stay on the beach side of the property so we can always walk on sand.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

While traveling solo in January, I booked a bungalow at Zamas, and ended up staying four nights there. I can't think of a better place to decompress than in one one of those bungalows. It was really tranquil, the food at the restaurant wasn't bad, and a dive company is right across the street, so you can easily arrange a cave dive to the cenote... Also, it's a pretty easy bike ride to the ruins from here. The rooms are spartan but colorful, with just a bed, a fan, a mosquito net, a light, one power outlet, a safe, a water jug, a toilet, a sink, and a shower. My only complaint is that there's quite a bit of traffic noise, because the bungalows back right up to the road, so it's something to be aware of if you're a light sleeper... All in all- a pretty good version of paradise...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
El Paso, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

this is a rustic hotel with nice rooms but with no air conditioning and lots of bugs. It is on the ocean (or across the street but you can still see the ocean depending on the room you get). The resteraunt service is very slow and a little expensive for what you get; so I would skip the restraunt just because the service was so slow. The food was fine but a little overpriced for what you get. Make sure you bring bug spray so you can spray yourself every night. They have bug nets but they are kind of a pain especially because you want the wind to blow through to keep you cool. Location is great at this hotel. Just be prepared for the rustic nature of the place and enjoy.

Room Tip: Go down to the new supercenter and buy a cheap cooler and beer wine cokes etc... so you don't ha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple