“Excellent and warm service”
Review of Zamas

Zamas
Ranked #17 of 101 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Both the food at the restaurant and the ocean view cabana were excellent. And to top it off was the great and warm service from all the people working at Zamas. This made our stay unforgettable and we will most certainly come back here. Which is not something that we would normally do/say

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view rooms/cabanas.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 1, 2012

There is nothing to complain about! We were lucky enough to stumble upon Zamas when we got to Tulum and spent 5 perfect days 'hut style'. We had a gorgeous cabana right on the sand that was spotless, comfortable and ambient. Listening to the waves at night time and being able to walk outside and be under the stars was as close to perfect one can get.

The staff are amazingly helpful, friendly and efficient and they always have a smile on their face. Somehow they seem to make you feel that they have reached a state of nirvana that hopefully might rub off on you.

The food is fantastic and you can see a lot of effort has been put into perfecting each dish. The burger is mouthwatering and the shrimp with their own home baked ciabatta is exceptional.

The coco locos (a coconut full of alsorts of alcoholic madness!!) are to die for and you can walk across the sand from you hut and be holding one in a matter of minutes!

If Im lucky enough to ever be in Tulum again, I would go straight to Zamas. We had a very romantic and relaxed time at Zamas, it really was quite heavenly!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have been to Tulum three times and I stayed in Zamas each time. I didn't think it was possible but I ended up loving it more with every visit. It really is my favourite place in the world and Zamas is one of the reasons why it's made such a big impression on me.

For me, an ideal holiday strikes a balance between soaking up the new energy of a place whilst feeling at home and comfortable at the same. Zamas hits the spot perfectly. You will immediately feel that you've been whisked away to paradise when you step into the Zamas restaurant. Whether you arrive in the day time or in the evening, trust that you'll be welcomed by the friendliest staff and the prettiest view. The rustic walls and colourful furniture frame the sea which is literally just a few steps away. The vibrant theme extends to the rooms which you can tell were all very carefully thought of. You forget that you're in a hotel because each room seems personalised. The colourful hammocks, walls, tiles and furniture are different in each room and I love the little details that the owners put in them. There is always hot water in the showers and they also give you complimentary bottled water for drinking. The beds are really comfortable and are perfect after a long day of exploring. I know some people are fussy about aircon in Mexico but it doesn't really matter at Zamas because the rooms are so well-ventilated. Who needs aircon when you get fresh air through the thatched roofs? It's way more comforting.

Whenever I'm in Zamas, I always seem to get up before sunrise because I just want to experience the days in full. And sunrise is best viewed from the Zamas beach front (or your balcony if you're lucky to get one of the rooms facing the beach). It's a gorgeous view and worth waking up early for. From there, you can head to the restaurant and have one of the many breakfast options - omelettes, huevos rancheros, pancakes, fresh fruit juice. You will be spoilt, trust me. It's so easy to just stay in the resort and chill out the whole day but if you intend to explore, Zamas's location is ideal because a lot of the places of interest in Tulum and the surrounding areas are easily accessible from there. Make sure you talk to Mara as she will have loads of recommendations for places to check out around the area. She is lovely and knows Tulum really well. Another thing that I love about Zamas is that their staff are all locals. Everyone in the resort loves Tulum and so they also love sharing it with visitors. They are generous and inclusive and will make you feel that you are part of a family.

At night, I recommend ending your day back in the restaurant and enjoying what's on offer for dinner. Whether you're craving seafood, meat, Mexican food or pizza, Zamas will surely have something to satisfy your palate. It's the perfect place to wind down as you listen to some of the best live music that you'll find in Tulum. Or if you have some energy left in you after a full day of adventure, take part in dance lessons if they are on.

Trust me, the guys at Zamas know what they are doing. There has been a recent tourism spike in Tulum and a lot of "eco-chic" hotels have popped up over the last couple of years, making it hard to narrow down accommodation options. For me, Zamas is the true definition of eco-chic. Tulum is a really special place and the staff at Zamas respect that. They are socially responsible and they do an amazing job at creating a sanctuary for their guests without spoiling the paradise that is Tulum. This makes me love them even more and I know that I will never get tired of going back. Because everytime I do, I feel that I am coming home.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I have been planning this vacation for months. We were quite anxious about going to tulum and wanted to explore something not that commercial and related to the Caribbean sea.
After Reading several trip advisor reviews, we picked Tulum because it has history and beautiful Beach locations.
We also chose Zamas Hotel because it has a very accessible prices, it seemed a little bit rustic for our needs so we were not sure what to expect; also we are tremendous foodies and look for local food.
Arriving at cancun airport, a special van was already waiting for us, service we booked thru zamas, driving us with a very friendly driver. Got to zamas 1.5 hrs later and the receptionist Roger welcomed us with a refreshing chaya/pineapple juice, it was all we needed.
The room was one of the garden rooms, behind the restaurant with a really nice and comfy coconut tree garden, it was so fresh inside-out with the Caribbean breeze, what else can you ask for?
The bed was so comfortable with a mosquito net around it and a fan inside the mosquito net. It also had a light that allows you to read at night.
Restaurant, be aware of the MUY FUERTES margaritas, because it's TRUE! We had 2 of those and felt the tequila running thru our veins! Then we asked for some guacamole, I've travelled around mexico a lot, and this guac was one of the most tasty ones, we also ordered tacos maya and fish tacos, WOW both were amazing.
Service was just Great! We asked Carlos if they had any lobster, and they didn't that night, but the next day Carlos let us know that they bought 2 lobster tails just for us! The best part is you could actually see the fishermen delivering fish and seafood directly from the beach of the hotel.
That made us feel special, it was very, very good. All of this enjoying one of the most amazing views in tulum.
So, to round it up, we will come back and we will come back often. Thank you ZAMAS!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Juan S
Reviewed October 1, 2012

In April we stayed at Zamas for the tenth time in twelve years. It's situated on a beautiful beach, has lovely cabañas, a terrific restaurant and bar, nightly live music, and very good service. But what keeps us coming back is the people. They have kept much of the staff for years and they greet us with warm recognition. There have been many changes to playa Tulum in the years we have been coming there but Zamas keeps calling us back.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Fritzgrooves
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I needed a place to stay on very short notice for a trip that was starting to unravel through my fingers. I left a message for Susan who probably heard the desperation in my voice, and sure enough, by the time I arrived in Tulum I had not only a voicemail response back, but an email response as well that was also sent out to her staff. I fully appreciate the quick reply and the assurance that I'd have a place to stay! Often enough in trying to book places near the beach, that laidback way of life can also affect booking lodging as well, so I usually try to plan in advance.

Mara greeted me on site and my short stay was wonderful - I had a great afternoon on the beach with a beachside cabana- I thought of all my creative/designer/innovator friends while there and realized that probably every single one of them would appreciate the vibrant surroundings and creative touches in the room (built-in platform beds, colorful zarapes, funky furniture built ins, and few 90º angles :-). While I don't think anyone really NEEDS a hot shower when you're in tropical 85º+ degree weather, I will say that I had the hottest shower in Mexico here as well as totally fine water pressure- it's funny to see so many people gripe about this being a problem. If that's something you need, stay in Cancun!

Anyway, the food was great and since I'm super preggo I stayed with a non-alcoholic piña colada. I didn't see any pizza on the menu, but there looked to be a great pizza oven inside! It was great to see happy families there too, since in the future that's who I'll be bringing with me so I most definitely look forward to a return visit to Zamas!

Beachfront cabanas:
A perfect place to read, unwind, and let your creative spirit free! Next time I'd like to bring some projects I'm working on and take advantage of the hammocks on the porch and tables to hang out and relax. They look a lot smaller on the outside than they are on the inside! The mosquito net was a solid one (far better than many others I've seen) but I still got bitten like crazy (probably by bugs other than mosquitoes and far itchier), but then again I have the sweetest blood of anyone I know.

Food/drinks:
Price seems typical for the area and with the edited menu there's enough variation to keep you coming back to try something different each day. Service is friendly and at a laid back pace- what else do you expect? You're on the beach and your clocks should be irrelevant anyway...besides, where are you going to go after dinner anyway?!

Beach/Ocean:
Sure, there's seaweed and rocks. Just use your head/eyes/ears and be smart. Mara and her staff will help point out the safer places to swim since the location is set in a cove.

Hospitality:
Top notch. Friendly and responsive service!

Location:
Zamas is located on the Tulum beach road, but closer to the town centro than other spots. It's still helpful to have a car in Tulum (which I did not and was able to get around just fine with taxis), but there are other restaurants and tiendas that you can walk to.

Zamas! Love!

Room Tip: Beachfront cabins are really RIGHT ON THE BEACH!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank tuanismay510
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Like many folks who have been coming to Tulum for many years, I only stay at Zamas. It has the best deal on rooms and is great for kids and families. Close enough that you don't need to rent a car or take expensive taxi's every time you wish to see a bit more of the area.

Room Tip: I like to stay in one of the two room suites with one bath, as we always come with family.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends