Zamas
$637
$641
$622
Hotels.com
All reviewsque frescosmall beachfrontlive music every nightbeach frontmexi diversgreat live musicdive shoplaid backmosquito netbeachfront bungalowocean viewfish tacosbeach roadplaya del carmenno air conditioningwatch the sunriseguacamole
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I have been planning this vacation for months. We were quite anxious about going to tulum and wanted to explore something not that commercial and related to the Caribbean sea.
After Reading several trip advisor reviews, we picked Tulum because it has history and beautiful Beach locations.
We also chose Zamas Hotel because it has a very accessible prices, it seemed a little bit rustic for our needs so we were not sure what to expect; also we are tremendous foodies and look for local food.
Arriving at cancun airport, a special van was already waiting for us, service we booked thru zamas, driving us with a very friendly driver. Got to zamas 1.5 hrs later and the receptionist Roger welcomed us with a refreshing chaya/pineapple juice, it was all we needed.
The room was one of the garden rooms, behind the restaurant with a really nice and comfy coconut tree garden, it was so fresh inside-out with the Caribbean breeze, what else can you ask for?
The bed was so comfortable with a mosquito net around it and a fan inside the mosquito net. It also had a light that allows you to read at night.
Restaurant, be aware of the MUY FUERTES margaritas, because it's TRUE! We had 2 of those and felt the tequila running thru our veins! Then we asked for some guacamole, I've travelled around mexico a lot, and this guac was one of the most tasty ones, we also ordered tacos maya and fish tacos, WOW both were amazing.
Service was just Great! We asked Carlos if they had any lobster, and they didn't that night, but the next day Carlos let us know that they bought 2 lobster tails just for us! The best part is you could actually see the fishermen delivering fish and seafood directly from the beach of the hotel.
That made us feel special, it was very, very good. All of this enjoying one of the most amazing views in tulum.
So, to round it up, we will come back and we will come back often. Thank you ZAMAS!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Juan S
Reviewed October 1, 2012

In April we stayed at Zamas for the tenth time in twelve years. It's situated on a beautiful beach, has lovely cabañas, a terrific restaurant and bar, nightly live music, and very good service. But what keeps us coming back is the people. They have kept much of the staff for years and they greet us with warm recognition. There have been many changes to playa Tulum in the years we have been coming there but Zamas keeps calling us back.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Fritzgrooves
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I needed a place to stay on very short notice for a trip that was starting to unravel through my fingers. I left a message for Susan who probably heard the desperation in my voice, and sure enough, by the time I arrived in Tulum I had not only a voicemail response back, but an email response as well that was also sent out to her staff. I fully appreciate the quick reply and the assurance that I'd have a place to stay! Often enough in trying to book places near the beach, that laidback way of life can also affect booking lodging as well, so I usually try to plan in advance.

Mara greeted me on site and my short stay was wonderful - I had a great afternoon on the beach with a beachside cabana- I thought of all my creative/designer/innovator friends while there and realized that probably every single one of them would appreciate the vibrant surroundings and creative touches in the room (built-in platform beds, colorful zarapes, funky furniture built ins, and few 90º angles :-). While I don't think anyone really NEEDS a hot shower when you're in tropical 85º+ degree weather, I will say that I had the hottest shower in Mexico here as well as totally fine water pressure- it's funny to see so many people gripe about this being a problem. If that's something you need, stay in Cancun!

Anyway, the food was great and since I'm super preggo I stayed with a non-alcoholic piña colada. I didn't see any pizza on the menu, but there looked to be a great pizza oven inside! It was great to see happy families there too, since in the future that's who I'll be bringing with me so I most definitely look forward to a return visit to Zamas!

Beachfront cabanas:
A perfect place to read, unwind, and let your creative spirit free! Next time I'd like to bring some projects I'm working on and take advantage of the hammocks on the porch and tables to hang out and relax. They look a lot smaller on the outside than they are on the inside! The mosquito net was a solid one (far better than many others I've seen) but I still got bitten like crazy (probably by bugs other than mosquitoes and far itchier), but then again I have the sweetest blood of anyone I know.

Food/drinks:
Price seems typical for the area and with the edited menu there's enough variation to keep you coming back to try something different each day. Service is friendly and at a laid back pace- what else do you expect? You're on the beach and your clocks should be irrelevant anyway...besides, where are you going to go after dinner anyway?!

Beach/Ocean:
Sure, there's seaweed and rocks. Just use your head/eyes/ears and be smart. Mara and her staff will help point out the safer places to swim since the location is set in a cove.

Hospitality:
Top notch. Friendly and responsive service!

Location:
Zamas is located on the Tulum beach road, but closer to the town centro than other spots. It's still helpful to have a car in Tulum (which I did not and was able to get around just fine with taxis), but there are other restaurants and tiendas that you can walk to.

Zamas! Love!

Room Tip: Beachfront cabins are really RIGHT ON THE BEACH!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank tuanismay510
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Like many folks who have been coming to Tulum for many years, I only stay at Zamas. It has the best deal on rooms and is great for kids and families. Close enough that you don't need to rent a car or take expensive taxi's every time you wish to see a bit more of the area.

Room Tip: I like to stay in one of the two room suites with one bath, as we always come with family.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Johnny M
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My daughter and I spent a week at ZAMAS and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation. It's gorgeous, peaceful, and relaxing during the day, yet fun and vibrant at night-- often featuring local, live music. We stayed in a garden room on the beach side. It was perfect, especially since the room is accessible and my daughter uses a walker. She could cruise back and forth to Que Fresco-- their yummy restaurant. Our room was clean and cleaned daily. The staff was great-- always helpful, pleasant, and friendly. This is such a wonderful find! The "best kept secret" in the Yucatan! It's kid and adult friendly...and certainly would be romantic. Whatever you're looking for, ZAMAS is the place. We hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Cabana 4 is accessible- not ON the beach, but the beach side. It's private and quiet. All rooms have hammocks.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family