“Sit back, rewind, and relax in creative style”
Review of Zamas

Zamas
Ranked #24 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Oakland, California
“Sit back, rewind, and relax in creative style”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I needed a place to stay on very short notice for a trip that was starting to unravel through my fingers. I left a message for Susan who probably heard the desperation in my voice, and sure enough, by the time I arrived in Tulum I had not only a voicemail response back, but an email response as well that was also sent out to her staff. I fully appreciate the quick reply and the assurance that I'd have a place to stay! Often enough in trying to book places near the beach, that laidback way of life can also affect booking lodging as well, so I usually try to plan in advance.

Mara greeted me on site and my short stay was wonderful - I had a great afternoon on the beach with a beachside cabana- I thought of all my creative/designer/innovator friends while there and realized that probably every single one of them would appreciate the vibrant surroundings and creative touches in the room (built-in platform beds, colorful zarapes, funky furniture built ins, and few 90º angles :-). While I don't think anyone really NEEDS a hot shower when you're in tropical 85º+ degree weather, I will say that I had the hottest shower in Mexico here as well as totally fine water pressure- it's funny to see so many people gripe about this being a problem. If that's something you need, stay in Cancun!

Anyway, the food was great and since I'm super preggo I stayed with a non-alcoholic piña colada. I didn't see any pizza on the menu, but there looked to be a great pizza oven inside! It was great to see happy families there too, since in the future that's who I'll be bringing with me so I most definitely look forward to a return visit to Zamas!

Beachfront cabanas:
A perfect place to read, unwind, and let your creative spirit free! Next time I'd like to bring some projects I'm working on and take advantage of the hammocks on the porch and tables to hang out and relax. They look a lot smaller on the outside than they are on the inside! The mosquito net was a solid one (far better than many others I've seen) but I still got bitten like crazy (probably by bugs other than mosquitoes and far itchier), but then again I have the sweetest blood of anyone I know.

Food/drinks:
Price seems typical for the area and with the edited menu there's enough variation to keep you coming back to try something different each day. Service is friendly and at a laid back pace- what else do you expect? You're on the beach and your clocks should be irrelevant anyway...besides, where are you going to go after dinner anyway?!

Beach/Ocean:
Sure, there's seaweed and rocks. Just use your head/eyes/ears and be smart. Mara and her staff will help point out the safer places to swim since the location is set in a cove.

Hospitality:
Top notch. Friendly and responsive service!

Location:
Zamas is located on the Tulum beach road, but closer to the town centro than other spots. It's still helpful to have a car in Tulum (which I did not and was able to get around just fine with taxis), but there are other restaurants and tiendas that you can walk to.

Zamas! Love!

Room Tip: Beachfront cabins are really RIGHT ON THE BEACH!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank tuanismay510

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Like many folks who have been coming to Tulum for many years, I only stay at Zamas. It has the best deal on rooms and is great for kids and families. Close enough that you don't need to rent a car or take expensive taxi's every time you wish to see a bit more of the area.

Room Tip: I like to stay in one of the two room suites with one bath, as we always come with family.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Johnny M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My daughter and I spent a week at ZAMAS and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation. It's gorgeous, peaceful, and relaxing during the day, yet fun and vibrant at night-- often featuring local, live music. We stayed in a garden room on the beach side. It was perfect, especially since the room is accessible and my daughter uses a walker. She could cruise back and forth to Que Fresco-- their yummy restaurant. Our room was clean and cleaned daily. The staff was great-- always helpful, pleasant, and friendly. This is such a wonderful find! The "best kept secret" in the Yucatan! It's kid and adult friendly...and certainly would be romantic. Whatever you're looking for, ZAMAS is the place. We hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Cabana 4 is accessible- not ON the beach, but the beach side. It's private and quiet. All rooms...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MsV123
New York
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Zamas is a place that exploits the natural beauty of its surroundings with lodgings which, while comparatively modest, combine value with other forms of comfort, like an uncommonly warm and gracious staff, good food, and among the best views for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that I have ever seen. To be sure, there are swankier locales along the Tulum beachside, but few can beat Zamas for price. I'm very pleased to have spent a week with my family at Zamas, and I'd recommend the spot to anyone considering a stay in as beautiful and unspoiled a spot as Tulum can offer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for your lovely comments about ZAMAS, our staff and our locale. We continually strive to be in tune with our natural surroundings while providing a welcoming place for our guests to enjoy this beautiful and truly special place in the world. We’re thrilled that you acknowledged and appreciated this. We would love to have you return anytime – please let us if you’d like to come back so we may give you a special “welcome back”.
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My family and I just returned from a wonderful week at Zamas in Tulum. We had a 2-room cabana which faced an amazingly beautiful beach. In the morning and late afternoons we would lie on hammocks on our patio and be gently rocked by tropical breezes, while listening to the rhythm of the waves.

The restaurant features fresh, delectable food. While the menu is small, everything was excellent. We especially enjoyed the shrimp, which is cooked in several different styles. Our kids loved the pizzas, which are cooked in a wood burning oven. The salads are fresh and bountiful.

Most importantly, the service at Zamas is outstanding. Everyone, from the concierge to the housekeepers, treated us like family. The staff speaks excellent English, but also enjoyed conversing with us in our broken Spanish. They offered excellent suggestions about activities in the area, also.

We returned from our week renewed, refreshed, and wanting to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Hola,
Thank you for your lovely comments about ZAMAS. Most notably, we’re delighted to hear that you appreciated our service. We want our guests to feel comfortable and well cared for in this natural environment so that they can truly enjoy all that Tulum has to offer. We’re also thrilled to hear that you loved your room, your view and your meals! Please let us know if you’re coming back as we’d like to give you a personalized “welcome back to ZAMAS”. Best regards from Susan and the ZAMAS staff
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2012

After Hurricane Ernesto cancelled our plans to honeymoon further south on the Yucatan peninsula, my wife and I ended up settling in Tulum. After one night in the first-place-we-could-find, we walked up and down the beach road looking at cabañas and hotel rooms. We settled on Zamas, and couldn't have been happier with our choice, especially for the price.
We had a cabaña on the ocean side of the main road, but not one of the few true "beachfront" ones. Truly, we felt we had the best of both worlds - a short, easy stroll to the beach, but a little shade and privacy when we just wanted to lay in a hammock and read. The room was clean and plenty large enough, the private bathroom wonderful for our many cooling showers, and the bed comfortable.
The beach was pleasant and the sea weed the same as everywhere else in Tulum (there is, after all, a reef just off shore). A real highlight was the restaurant, Que Fresca. We had many meals there, all simple dishes made with the freshest ingredients. The whole fish baked in salt was an amazing dish - a delicacy worth the wait. Prices were good by resort standards - not as cheap as a taco stand in town, of course, but no where on the beach is. For food this good in New York, we would have been paying two or three time the cost (or more!). I can't think of a single let down on the menu, and we were only sad that we weren't there longer to try more things.
The staff was friendly and attentive, and we were happy to get to know them over the 4 days and nights we were there. They even humored our poor Spanish, which made us feel good.
It was a shame when we had to head back up to Cancun, but we'll certainly be back to Zamas on our next trip to Tulum!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian0812
ZAMASHotel, Owner at Zamas, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing these lovely comments about your stay at ZAMAS. We really appreciate hearing from you and are thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us. We were happy to accommodate you so soon after hurricane Ernesto. Likewise, we’re delighted to hear that you couldn’t get enough of the “freshest ingredients” offered at our restaurant, “¡Que Fresco!” Please let us know when you plan to return so that we can acknowledge your lovely comments with a special treat!
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Zamas for 3 nights before heading to a resort for a wedding. Zamas is very different than the resorts in the area. While resorts have great service, you are lost in the shuffle with hundreds of other guests. This is not the case at Zamas. At Zamas the staff remembers you, offers to assist you with anything you need, asks how you slept and if you are happy with your room. The food at Zamas was better than the food at the resort we stayed at. The area of Tulum is beautiful. The cabañas are quaint and fun.
A word to people that read these reviews and worry too much. You will be bit by mosquitos. It is not Zamas's fault. The area of Tulum has a ton of mosquitos so just bring really good repellant and be mindful. Also, there is seaweed on the beach. This is also not Zamas's fault. Every beach we visited was lined with seaweed, and the beach at the resort we visited had may more than Zamas.
Zamas is affordable, fun, eco-friendly and located in a great area. There are so many places to explore in the area that we could have stayed at another week or two and not been bored. If you don't want to explore you can always drink beer and tequila in the bar. Or if things turn out for you like they did for us, and there are thunder storms everyday, you can go buy candles next door, or borrow some from Zamas, and wait for the power to go out.
Our trip was fun and romantic and we can thank Zamas for that. Going to the all inclusive resort was a bummer and it ended up ruining our trip. If we would have stayed at Zamas the whole time we would have had a way better trip.
Thank you Erica, Jamie and the rest of the Zamas staff for the great accommodations and great food.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark187_12
ZAMASHotel, Owner at Zamas, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
We’re absolutely thrilled to have provided you with a “fun and romantic” vacation experience at ZAMAS. We're delighted to hear that you loved your stay with us and most notably had time to get to know some of our staff. We truly believe that connections with the local area and staff help make a vacation experience unique and memorable - and it is also most gratifying for us to get to know you too! Please let us know if you are returning and we promise to make your stay extra special!