“Exactly what we needed!!”
Review of Zamas

Zamas
Ranked #22 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Ridgewood, New Jersey
“Exactly what we needed!!”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed at Zamas with my husband and teenage daughter. From first sight we knew it was exactly what we needed. The fresh-air restaurant was brightly colored & whimsically decorated, staff was extremely friendly. The food was the best in town. Great mojitos and margaritas too! Our beach front bungalow was absolutely perfect. No air conditioner but with the ocean breeze and overhead fan we stayed very comfortable. It was amazing to wake up each morning with my husband and watch the sun rise over the water. Live music every night by very talented artists that was enjoyable to all ages. My daughter told us that when she gets married Zamas will be the destination.

Room Tip: ocean front. Bungalow 8 was AMAZING!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Hola juliebean74,
Thank you for sharing your ZAMAS experience with others. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed your stay!
We’re so happy to hear that you loved the hotel and restaurant and that your daughter wants her wedding at ZAMAS. We would be honored to host you and your family for that special event – in due time… ☺.
Also, we’re delighted to hear that you loved our live music; we are known for our beach-vibe, nightlife. The most rewarding part of running this business is getting to know our guests in this informal, fun ambiance with the exquisite backdrop of Tulum beach.
Please let me know when you want to return to ZAMAS – we want to make your stay is extra special!
Warm Regards,
Susan
info@zamas.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I'm not one to complain but after 4 nights I just got frustrated,I have never written a trip advisor review before but I was forced 2, it was one problem after another. First I was promised a room with a ocean view received nothing of the sort. Got a room on the otherside of the resort itself, away from all facilities and unsafe seaweed riddled beach. I had to cross a dangerious main road to get to there. No wifi, no tv and limited hot water and lighting in the room, so it's very dark and u pay top dollar for this. Food in the restaurant is average, the female manager was not sympathic to our needs. It doesn't end here bugs, geckos, Mosquitos and cockroaches live here in abundance. In 4 nights I killed 5 cockroaches. Don't be fooled I wouldn't want anyone else going through this on there vacation that's why I had to write this.

• Stayed April 2012
13 Thank Tomkurp13
San Pedro, Belize
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The cabanas are beautiful and comfortable with gorgeous tiled bathroom. I loved the quirkiness of the place very much. Yes, the electric was off in the night and the water pressure wasn't super, but you knew you were in Mexico and not in some cookie-cutter motel room anywhere in the world. The food at the restaurant was outstanding and the wait staff friendly and efficient. The beach is lovely with some large rocks to climb on. The sound of the surf can be heard from your bed and you get glimpses of it, as well. Loved it! Not for everyone-you need to be the type that enjoys boutique type of accommodations with distinctive flair.

Room Tip: We stayed in cabanas behind the restaurant (I think they were described as garden view) and still en...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Stayed with friends in 2 bungaloes for a week in Mar. Bungaloes were quaint rendered timper structures, pretty much thatch roofed huts. Very confortable, but with low water pressure. Tap water is not drinkable being a combination of fresh and salt water. No refrigeration and can't use high power devices, eg hair dryers as the power supply can't handle it. Onsite dining is pleasant beside the beach, with good live music most nights, although the food is pricey for what it is. Staff were very pleasant and helpfull mostly. Beach right at Zamas is very poor, being a very small rocky cove full of seaweed all the time. If you want to swim at nice sandy beaches you have to walk 500m either way along the road then down to a beach. Lots of nice cafe's in the accommodation along the road, but all pricey. The cheapest food is up town in Tulum itself. If you're just staying put, you don't need a car, but if you want to look aroung the area and get ot the ruins, cenotes, uptown, etc without using taxis or organised tours then you need a hire car. So overall it was a unique and enjoyable experience, but about 30% too expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Rooms across the road from the beach are much bigger and have a nice view of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubuque
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Very nice beach and eating area, great live music at night, wifi available in the restaurant area.

Our individual rooms were very nice with a nice bathroom and shower. Enjoyed having the restuarant on premise. Great hammocks and lounge chairs on the beach. Great location right on the trendy Tulum strip.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach are a great location.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was a lovely spot. The beach is nice but if you walk a 500m around the headland the beach stretches for miles and is nicer although much busier with places to stay. Zamas is in a good spot with a nice restaurant which was always popular. We loved our bungalows and hammocks and the sound of the ocean lulled us to sleep each night. The only thing lacking was a small bar fridge. There is no a/c (which suites me) but above each bed is a fan and plenty of breeze from the ocean to keep you cool. Tulum, overall - is quite a bit more expensive than Playa del Carmen which I was both surprised and disappointed about but the atmosphere is much more chilled, more in line with what I expected from a coastal Mexico location and the beach here is far more superior - not to mention about 10 times bigger and less crowded.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank sheilagonewalkabout
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I have been staying at Zamas with my partner once or twice a year for at least 15 years. I go there to relax and rejuvenate my soul. I didn't review it previously because I always hoped it would remain my little secret retreat. But since the Tulum beaches were listed on the Travel Channel as one of the top 10 beaches, I decided I could share my little piece of heaven with the rest of the world. The layout, rooms and design make my heart sing to the extent they inspired my work space build out in Minnesota with similar colors and textures. The feeling one gets at Zamas is peace, beauty, relaxation and inspiration. The views are spectacular from the sunrises over the ocean to sunsets over the jungle. Food is wonderful and can be enjoyed inside or out in the fresh air at colorful tables. Dan and Susan had a vision and created Zamas when there was very little traffic going through the area. It is run like a well oiled instrument. Despite the growth of tourism in the area, Zamas remains true to itself, the ecology and beauty, keeping the feeling of personal care and attention they have always had. They have made Zamas a place all want to return to year after year from the movie stars trying to get away from their hectic lives to regular people like me who get to experience heaven for a week.

Room Tip: Upper levels afford sunrise and sunset views from the room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple