“Great Atmosphere, bad smell!”
Review of Casa Jaguar Tulum

Casa Jaguar Tulum
Ranked #110 of 389 Restaurants in Tulum
Price range: $5 - $1,000
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Seafood, Central American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Casa Jaguar is located in the jungle of Tulum where its open spaces, dècor and atmosphere look to awaken all of you senses. The food, the place and concept are influenced by the travels, stories and memories from the family through all of Asia, Europe and Mexico, collecting each and every one of the little details in this house. The music is very important for us, it becomes an essential element from the moment you enter the place.
Saskatoon, Canada
“Great Atmosphere, bad smell!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

There was a lot of sewage smells on all the restaurants on this side of the street, they did there best to mask it but it was BAD! I love the fact you are in tables among the jungle! Go for a cocktail, give it is sniff and if its good then order some food!

Visited December 2013

New York City, New York
“Sour taste (and not from the Ceviche)”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The place is nicely designed, has a good vibe, the table service was adequate, and the food was fine - I arrived in a great mood - but then the bill came and it ended there.

They messed up one order earlier (plain pasta - but they brought it with shrimp). Made no attempt to remedy it and charged us for an expensive shrimp pasta . No biggie - I can live with that.

But the bill included an item we didn't order. The waitress agreed we hadn't ordered it. A second waiter shows up with the wrong change and runs off. I go up to the manager who tells me it's complicated to recalculate the bill, and patronizingly adds "it's just money". I press but he refuses to hand me the correct change.

He is correct. It is just money - my money.

It was only $15 on a $250 bill (for 5) which includes a 15% service charge. It just shows an appalling lack of respect and honesty.

• Visited January 2014
London
“Would go back, but only for cocktails”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I'd walked past Casa Jaguar a few times whilst staying in Tulum and always thought it looked so pretty and romantic, so I insisted to my boyfriend we put our names down on the 1.5 hour waiting list for a table one night.

The cocktail menu at the bar is great and all the bar staff work really hard as the bar is very busy!

Sadly the food just didn't live up to my expectations. Everything is very nicely presented but I don't think it was worth the 1.5 hour wait, we found the food average but expensive. There was also an overwhelming smell of sewage coming from the toilets (located outside amongst the tables) which was a off putting!

I think I'd go back, but only for cocktails.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I collapsed... They did nothing.”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Christmas Eve we as a family booked dinner at the top above the bar. It looked lovely...
We were told to come at 8.00. By 9.00 still not given our table.
We went to the bar ordered our cocktails, and waited and waited and waited.
I suddenly felt very ill, so as not to fall to the floor, lay my head on the bar. I then collapsed.
We immediately went home, no real help from the staff. They were more obsessed with us settling the bill...
By the next day I had recovered.
The night of Boxing Day my son returned to go to a party there.
A girl at the party collapsed in exactly the same way. Again she was not helped..
Is there a rogue guest, barman spiking drinks.. It is too coincidental, the girl who collapsed did not even drink. It is dangerous....
I definitely did not have food poison or sunstroke...
Anyone else have this experience....
We never had any dinner, so can not comment on how delicious it is..

Visited December 2013
1 Thank clareclarkson
Brooklyn, New York
“GREAT cocktails, "ok" food”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Cocktails are amazing! Especially the Tikal.
I've had two disappointing main dishes - one insanely spicey which was not mentioned on the menu or by waiter, the other bland. But delicious ceviche which is the best thing to get in our opinion.

Cute atmosphere, beautifiul surrounding but with boring indie rock soundtrack that needs updating (same six months later on repeat)

very nice staff