“Gorgeous food”

Ranked #1 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We were wandering along the beach looking for somewhere for lunch and came across this little secluded hotel. We were the only ones in the restaurant and had great service, all with a lovely smile from our waiter (don't Mexicans have lovely smiles!). I'd call the menu upmarket Mexican cuisine. Both dishes we had were excellent, very tasty, spinach empanadas were a winner! Probably the top end of what you'd pay for lunch but well worth it. We will definitely recommend to friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FLC85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Leon, Mexico
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Small beautiful place by the beach, the staff is very kind and attentive, Maria the gracious hostess suggested dinner at their cute 6 table restaurant, Jose waited on us and did a great job by suggesting amazing indigenous dishes from Yucatan cuisine prepared by the talented Chef Rufino, Gabriel the entertainer is great, This place is clean, beautiful and full of small charming details, You can tell that Lina, the manager, is very dedicated to her job. A must in Tulum! Can wait to our next visit!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Wonderful beach front hotel with excellent service, comfortable rooms (no a/c but wasn't a problem), wonderful breakfasts. A real treat! The only issue was a one time shortage of beach chairs (once in the week) and the bikes need to have seats that can be raised to fit a 6 foot man.

Room Tip: Worth springing for the rooms right on the beach. There are only 8 rooms, so the 4 on the beach are...
2 Thank andermanny
San Carlos, California
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We are so glad we stayed at Encantada Eco Resort. There are so many options now in the area around Tulum, it's a bit overwhelming. Encantada is small with just 8 units, but so personable, private, and simply, enchanting.
We stayed in Mar - front row to the ocean. Absolutely beautiful. Loved the position of the bed, right towards the ocean. Every detail in all parts of the resort is so well thought through - from the eco friendly soaps and shampoos, to the nice plush beach towels, the elegant beach chairs, wonderful wooden chairs on your private deck overlooking the ocean.
The staff pays attention to everything, and the Yucatan chef is amazing! We are so glad we stayed for dinner. Beautiful at night with the gentle lighting, the ocean breeze and the sound of the waves and the wind.
We can't say enough.

Room Tip: If you enjoy the sound of the ocean, ask for a n ocean front room. The four units in the second row...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DDolatschko
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We got back from Tulum almost a week ago, and I'm still in denial. I want to go back. My boyfriend and I spent 2 nights at Encantada, and every detail exceeded our expectations. We stayed in Arena and when we walked into our room, I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. The constant ocean breeze flowing through the room felt amazing, and never got old. I woke up in the middle of the night one night and saw the moon lit up over the ocean. It's really just a special place. Outside of the incredible room, the beach was gorgeous, the food was excellent, and the service gets rave reviews for good reason. Maria and Carlos were wonderful, and felt like old friends in a very short time. We were worried before we got there that we were going to feel like the place was not worth the money we were spending - that's happened to us before. But Encantada was so worth it - I'd go back in a heartbeat, and I couldn't be happier that we stayed there. So go to Tulum, stay at Encantada, say hi to Maria and Carlos for us, watch the moon over the ocean, eat the Mayan dip sampler, use the bikes and ride up and down the jungle road to funky shops and restaurants. Savor every minute.

2 Thank Lindsay B
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My husband and I spent four days during our honeymoon. Everything was just perfect! Ismael, Carlos and Jose are the nicest people in the world! The rooms are very big and kiut, the beach is very clean and beautiful and the food was just amazing. I just have to say: thank you for everything! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Wow, where to begin with our trip to Tulum and Encantada! For our winter getaway the hubby and I decided we wanted to find someplace where we could wake up and see the ocean, and walk out onto the beach. We discovered reviews about Encantada here on Tripadvisor and thought it looked like the perfect fit for us! After being there, I honestly don't feel that we could have made a better choice. I actually think Encantada deserves the #1 spot, and I have a feeling that in time it will take it.

When we first arrived we were greeted by Maria who made us feel very welcome, got us checked in and took us to our room "Mar" where we were spending the first 5 nights of our stay. We had decided since we were staying for 10 nights we wanted to experience 2 different rooms. Mar is in one of the front buildings on the beachfront and it is on the lower floor. I loved this room immediately, of the two lower level rooms, Mar is the best because it has a bit more privacy. It is off to the side and there is lush green vegetation that shelters you from being seen by people out on the beach. There was a wonderful view of the beach and the ocean. The way that the rooms are set up is just perfect. You can keep the screen doors open all night and just lock them, so that allows the breeze to flow through your room and allows you to hear the waves crashing on the ocean all night long.

In the mornings you awaken to an amazing sunrise (keep your front curtains open so you can just lie in bed and see it!). I would jump up each morning and run out to the beach to take pictures. It's so beautiful.

The rooms are all set up the same, the beds are wonderful, soft and comfortable. There are plenty of outlets so we were able to plug in all of our devices and keep them charged. The water in the showers was hot, there is fresh water in the rooms for you so we never had to worry about not having enough water. And there are some delicious smelling soaps and shampoos available for you.

For the second half of our stay we stayed in what I think is the best room in the resort, "Estrella" this is the upstairs beachfront. The view is ridiculous, and I mean that in a good way. You're a little higher up so you just look out to beautiful ocean. And those sunrises, they are just even a little bit better when you're higher up. The porches have two chairs and a nice little table, perfect for if you want to just sit up there and chill out and read.

You are literally just steps away from the beach, just walk down the little pathway and you're there. There are lovely little cabanas and very comfy lounge chairs with thick cushions, very comfortable for lounging throughout the day. And Encantada provides you with nice big beach towels that you can use for your chairs.

I think every room at Encantada is going to be wonderful and lovely, but if you can afford the beach front and any of those are available, I highly recommend making the investment and staying there. We've stayed a lot of places, and I've got to say Encantada is on my top list of favorite places!

Now the rest of the staff were just exceptional. Javier who is one of the managers always had a smile on his face, always had time to chat and just helped us with anything that we needed. Just a great guy, an incredible asset to the resort.

Ishmael who worked mostly in the evenings, what a little charmer he is, and what a wonderful smile!! He also was super helpful, and we enjoyed just chatting and getting to know him.

Carlos who works at the restaurant is just awesome, just a big smile and so sweet, he gave us little grasshoppers made of reeds as a parting gift, it was just so nice and I have them displayed at our house now! Jose who also works at the restaurant was so wonderful too!! Always a smile on his face, so sweet.

The week that we were there new internet was being installed (yay!!) which turned out very good for us as we run an online business, so even though we were on vacation we need to stay connected. The internet is strongest if you're down in the restaurant areas. It works in the front buildings but can go in and out a little bit, but it's still good enough to get work that needs to be done finished. We were worried about internet, but it ended up not being a problem at all which was a big relief!

The food at the restaurant was very good. I discovered the mango salad with added chicken about half way through our stay and ended up getting that every afternoon, it's delicious. The fish tacos are also very tasty. Breakfast is a continental breakfast of fruit, yogurt and granola, some breads (banana bread which is delicious), and then you can order at an extra cost (continental is included with your room) an omelet or eggs etc.

I didn't wear shoes for 10 days straight (except for when we went on bike rides), the sand is very soft so I found I didn't even need them. And what was very nice was Encantada is located right next door to many other resorts with restaurants, so in the evenings we liked to try out a variety of different places. We got dressed, walked out on the beach and walked down to wherever we wanted to go in the moonlight, barefoot, ate our dinner and then walked back. It was so lovely!
We enjoyed "Om" restaurant, and the Casa Violetta had really delicious fish and my husband loved their pizza. Both of those restaurants you can sit and look out at the beach too.

There is the option of reserving a romantic table that is out facing the beach. We reserved this for Valentine's Day and it was just awesome. We had a perfect night with a full moon. The table was set up for us with beautiful flowers and candlelight, and it was just such a wonderful romantic evening.

We had a chance to meet one of the owners Mike while we were there, very friendly and it was wonderful to hear the story of how Encantada came to be! Lena one of the managers was also wonderful, I loved how everyone was just always willing to chat and get to know you.

Encantada has bikes available, the bikes do get quite rusted from the salt in the air, but they were a lot of fun to ride. We rode into town one day and we rode them down to see the Tulum ruins. Riding bikes was one of our favorite things to do and it was nice that they were there and available for us!

We are fitness people, there are no gyms in Tulum, but there was plenty of activity walking on the beach, lots of nearby yoga classes, and I brought resistance bands with me and just did workouts on the porch of our room. So still plenty of opportunities to stay active!

All in all, our stay was so wonderful. I definitely want to return to Encantada. The location on the beach is further down so it is quiet, it is private, it is romantic, it has excellent service and we just loved it.

Thank you to everyone at Encantada!!! You guys are awesome :-)

Room Tip: Definitely choose a beach front room if it is in your budget and available! Estrella is the best roo...
9 Thank Diana L
lisa m, Owner at Encantada Tulum, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Wow! Thank you both so much for such an amazing and thorough review! I'm so glad you loved the rooms, I agree about the sunrises, so incredibly beautiful, especially watching the sun come up with the view from the bed!
My husband really enjoyed meeting both of you and I'm glad he got that new internet installed! I'm so happy you reserved the beach table for your special dinner, what a lucky evening with the full moon. Thank you again so much and I know the entire staff hopes you will be able to come back and see us again in the future.
All the Best!