“Paradise on Earth!”
Review of Encantada Tulum

Encantada Tulum
Ranked #1 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been wanting to write this review since we left Tulum, but had not yet had the chance.... where do I start? The staff are amazing, so helpful, friendly, they go out of their way to make sure you're comfortable, that everything is Ok, aside from being very nice people. I cannot say enough nice things about them. Thank you Carlos, Ismael, Maria, Lijiana and Josè!

When we walked into our room (beachfront room) I was so in awe that I actually couldn't speak! It was so beautiful, every detail was thought of, from the furniture to the beach bag with towls, to the decor and water fountain, everything was perfect, and clean And not a bug in sight! It was just perfect. There's no air con but to be honest, the beach breeze is enough, and there are ceiling fans and other fans to help fight the heat. the beds have nets covering them so at night you don't get bitten (I advise no to use the bright lights of the rooms during the night to avoid attracting them in the first place). There was internet wifi and 24 hour electricity and hot water.

Encantada is directly on the beach so you have about 5 steps until you are directly on one of the most beautiful, paradise-like beaches in the world. You can have drinks on the beach and relax any way you like! I advise to book the room my husband and I stayed in, MAR, which was just amazing. My mother stayed in room SOL (single use) which was a little further back but still had a view of the sea through the palm trees and was also beautiful.

The resort is really quiet, more suitable for couples, definitely not for families with young kids. If you want a romantic, peaceful and enjoyable getaway then this is it!

The food is amazing too, we had our lunches and breakfasts there, and Carlos is just an amazing host.

Some people complain about the prices but, I have this to say. When you're at home, you can decide whether you want to eat at a "normal" restaurant or if you want something a little extra, better quality, better service. Well, it's the same with Encantada - you pay for the quality and the service. The resort only has 10 or 12 rooms I believe in total, so it's very exclusive. And the other guests want as much peace and quiet as you do, so you don't have that to worry about that either.

I absolutely loved it and would go back. I miss it! Thank you Encantada for the wonderful memories of Tulum.

Room Tip: choose the room MAR, beachfront rooms are best!
2  Thank Luisa B
lisa m, Owner at Encantada Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you Louisa for your very kind and thoughtful review! I'm so glad our staff took such good care of you and that you loved our rooms! We have tried to pay attention to every detail in the design of the rooms to take advantage of the ocean views and breezes and to make them feel luxurious, by providing quality amenities, such as our bed linens and bath products. We are a small hotel as you mention, with only 8 rooms and we do try to maintain a peaceful and romantic atmosphere in an ecologically friendly setting. I'm so glad you enjoyed the food and our restaurant. It was our pleasure having you as our guest!

There are newer reviews for Encantada Tulum

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Encantada and cannot wait to return. We spent three nights here during our honeymoon in an upper level room. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable while also decorated in great taste. I loved waking up every morning surrounded by the white sheer layers of the mosquito net and white sheer curtains while feeling the ocean breeze through screened doors. A delicious continental breakfast was served to us everyday on our patio. We loved the fresh fruit, café, granola, homemade banana bread (served warm) and coconut macaroons along with fresh squeezed orange juice every morning. We also enjoyed the fresh ceviche and guacamole and mayan dips on the beach during the day. We returned to Encantada many times for breakfast even after moving on to staying in a house we rented down the beach for the latter part of our trip in Tulum. My husband really enjoyed the chiliquiles. The service was exceptional at Encantada especially from Carlos and Jose who work as servers and bartenders in the restaurant. Although there was no a/c, we slept peacefully and without difficulty given the strong ocean breezes and also personal size fans that are available for use in the room. I also loved the small details at Encantada such as the beautiful beach bag for use during your stay and the ceramic Mexican dishes used in the restaurant. Also the beach chaise lounge chairs were very comfortable and the beach and grounds were well maintained. We cannot wait to return!

2  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We've spent our two last nights in this hotel in Tulum. It was very nice, the bungalows are very cute with huge and very lovely beds, and the staff was very kind and helpful:
After we've suffered from a lot of noise in the first night from a party which was in the villa next to the hotel, We've been transferred in the following day to another room.
The only thing that bothered us a lot was the heat. Since it's eco-friendly, the hotel doesn't have any A/C in the rooms, and tough there are ceiling fans, it was still very hot, and it was hard to get a good and continuous sleep in this conditions.
Anyway, thank you Ishmael and thank you all in Encantada for your great hospitality.

1  Thank Tal B
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Encantada 5/18/13-5/23/13. We stayed in a lower floor beachfront room. It will probably be easier for me to catagorize my thoughts:

Grounds-
The grounds are very clean, and meticulously well thought out. The gardening is very tropical without being over the top, more of a natural setting. The rooms are laid out well, although people staying in the lower floor garden rooms might feel a little exposed as the front doors are open to anyone walking back from any of the four beachfront rooms. The beachfront rooms are well worth the extra charge!

Room-
Great room. The room is very tropical modern with a rustic feel. Plenty of space and storage, safe for important items, flashlight for night time beach excursions, and a great beach bag for taking the necessities the short 35ft walk to your favorite palapa on the beach made the room more than adaquate for our stay. The only negative aspect about the rooms anyone could possibly have to say about Encantada's rooms is there is no air conditioning. However, this is an ecolodge and technically off the main power grid. If you're shopping hotels in the Hotel Zone, make sure to take note of whether they have air conditioning and 24/7 electricity or not. Some of the hotels in this area only have electricity for part of the day. Although Encantada does not have ac, they do have 24/7 electricity. My wife and I sleep with it pretty cold in our home, so the humid, warm air was a little bothersome at night. But, this was not a big enough problem to negatively impact our vacation!

Restaurant-
The small, personal, and authentically decorated restaurant is a real treat at Encantada! There are only four or five tables in the restaurant which makes it very cozy, and allows for great customer service by some of the finest restaurant staff I have encountered in a long while (ncluding recent trips to NYC and Las Vegas). The food is phenomenal. They have a great variety of locally inspired Mayan Mexican dishes, as well as great cocktails (enjoy a coco loco on the beach!). The only downside to the restaurant is that the food is VERY expensive. Our first night at the hotel our dinner consisted of a grilled shrimp appetizer and two chicken enchilada entrees (we drank our free botlle of wine with dinner) and it was $80! The included continental breakfast is plenty of food and delicious. Our last morning at the hotel we ordered off the regular breakfast menu and had omelettes, which were great. Lunches ran $40-$80, depending on whether we shared a plate or not. We ended up taking a taxi into Tulum and eating our last two dinners at local restaurants. I highly recommend doing this because you will save a ton of money compared to the restaurant at Encantada, and you will get to see what a great little town Tulum is. The people are very nice, and the city feels safe along the main avenue, even at night. A taxi cost us $10 each way. The staff at Encantada will arrange for the taxi to pick you up and take you to town at any time you request. Our taxi driver was nice enough to pick us up in town at whatever time we told him and return us the the hotel! Despite the expense, the restaurant offers awesome customer service and excellent food!

Beach-
Very, very clean and beautiful! The palapas that Encantada have on the beach make it very comfortable to vegetate and relax. The palapas have a little shelf built into each one to set your book, drink, or lunch on it. The restaurant staff are happy to deliver drinks and lunch to you on the beach, and breakfast on your patio! The water is beautiful, but it was very rough while we were there. We went out on an 8hr snorkel trip to a couple cenotes and swim with some turtles in Akumal and our guide, Eyal, told us the sea is much calmer in the summer months of June and July and is better for snorkeling off the coast during those months.

This is a great hotel and we would definitely stay here again, although it would be when the weather is a little cooler at night. Thank you Maria and Ismael for making sure we had a great stay! I do not remember the last time I stayed at a hotel with such great customer service as Encantada. Thank you!

Derek

Room Tip: Stay in a beachfront room!
3  Thank dd100476
lisa m, Owner at Encantada Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm glad you loved our rooms and beach. We try to make everything beautiful and pay close attention to the details in the rooms, like the beach bags, bath products and flashlights. I'm glad you enjoyed the food and service in our restaurant! Thank you also for you kind words about our staff. We do try our best to make all our guests feel welcome and well taken care of. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Tulum!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed here at the end of my trek from Mexico City to Tulum and I have to say I loved it. The rooms are beautiful, the bed was huge and so comfy with a lovely rustic feel but high quality amenities. The staff were great especially the waiters in the restaurant so friendly and excellent service, I loved the coco loco drink Carlos made us, muy bien!

The beach is beautiful and it was so relaxing, the only problem being the beach road has no path so you have to get taxis everywhere if you want to go to a restaurant at night. I would recommend the restaurant at Encantada actually it was the best meal we had in Tulum and there was a guy playing Spanish guitar which lovely. The service was a little slow but I think they were unexpectedly busy that night and they bought us some appetisers for free. Overall great stay, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a romantic holiday in paradise!

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Came with high expectations as I've chosen this place based on the terrific reviews here. It was to celebrate our anniversary and my husband's birthday.
Arrived here around 2 p.m. The room was not ready, was told check-in is at 3 p.m. and they will let us know when the room is ready. Went to the beach to have lunch. Service was slow for check-in and lunch. When we finished lunch, it was almost 4 p.m. so we decided to check on the room. It was ready but no one had informed us.
Nice gesture to give us a bottle of prosecco in the room but there was no card and it wasn't chilled. When I passed the same bottle to the waiter the next afternoon to be chilled and bring to us on the beach, it did not happen. We then went for lunch and did not ask him as we had some margaritas at lunch. Asked front desk about reservation to Hechizo restaurant. She tried to call but it went to voicemail. She said she will check and get back to me in an hour again never heard from her until we were walking out to dinner. Told her we would go to Hartwood, but she did not tell us it was closed for Monday and Tuesday. We walked all the way there to find that out.
When we had to switch rooms from Cielo to Mar, they did not have our new room ready at 1 p.m. as promised. They had Cielo ready waiting for the new arrival first even though we were there waiting for Mar to be cleaned.
Stayed in Cielo for 2 nights and Mar for 3 nights. The rooms are spacious, very clean and feels safe. Views from both rooms are amazing. But these are not unique in Tulum. I'm not sure if they let the quick success and rave reviews get to their head? Service has to be more personal and warm. Lyhia at the reception could teach the rest of the staff a thing or two about service. She was the most helpful. Jose and Carlos were great as well.
Not a good value for money. Tulum is beautiful and there are many boutique hotels. This one has nice rooms but no amenities and overpriced. This is also at the end of the beach which far from restaurants etc. Would try another hotel next time.

• Stayed: May 2013
8  Thank Lee L
lisa m, Owner at Encantada Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and let us know how we are doing. I'm truly sorry that you were disappointed with our service. We do want to provide all our guests with excellent service and we will definitely use your suggestions to try and improve. We want the quality of our hotel, restaurant and especially our service, to exceed our guests expectations. Thank you again for your time and comments.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

The website doesn't quite do this place justice, so when we arrived it really took our breath away. Added to this, the staff were brilliant, relaxed, friendly and endlessly helpful, which made our stay perfect.

Rooms - They're larger than they look in the photos, just as romantic and beautifully finished with careful attention to detail. We stayed in one of the beach front huts, and it was special to see the sun rise over the sea from the bed, but they're all only a few stes from the beach.

Restaurant - The food was excellent, especially the local dishes, which were all the more delicious as most places along the beach serve up pizzas and pastas. Breakfast is a real treat, and I still miss the banana breads!

Beach - Encantada is one of the last places to stay in Tulum (though still easy to get to) and this part of the beach is relatively quiet and exceptionally beautiful.

I've tried to keep this review factual and helpful, but it was hard not to gush!

3  Thank A B