“Encantada...an AMAZING place...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 91 Hotels in Tulum
Brooklyn
“Encantada...an AMAZING place...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Encantada in Tulum. Mike and Lisa, its owners, happened to be there during our stay and you can see from talking to them how much love and effort they've put into making this a very special place. From the staff to the decor inside and outside the rooms, it's all been done with a lot of care. The food was also a very pleasant surprise. We dined there every morning for breakfast (fresh coffee, yogurt, tropical fruits and toast....there are egg dishes as well, just not included in the room rate). We also ate dinner and lunch there on several occasions. They are trying to keep the food more traditional and authentically Yucatan (with a couple of twists). It's a welcome surprise, as many of the hotels in the area tend to do food that they think americans/europeans want (steak...pasta...etc..). One should be aware that in the rooms there is no air conditioning...though the screen doors and ceiling fans provided ample breezes for us during the night. We will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank urbanpalate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I loved my stay in Encantada. The room where I stayed with one of my friends was beautifully decorated. It was obvious that there was great attention to detail in the design of this hotel. The whole hotel had an aura of peace and quietness, it was incredibly relaxing. Some of my favorite things included waking up in the morning with the tropical breeze flowing through the curtains, the delicious coffee and continental breakfast (included with room), delicious drinks and food brought to us on the gorgeous beach, and a really great massage. It was so nice to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about where to get breakfast. The continental is delicious, complete with an array of tropical fruits, yogurt/granola, and fresh baked breads. All the food we ate in the restaurant was very good, and so fresh. I miss those shrimp tacos! I found everyone on staff to be very friendly, personable and attentive. The massage I had was amazing and really set the tone for a relaxing week at Encantada. I would highly recommend this hotel!! It is so beautiful you will never want to leave! I will definitely be returning in the future. It was the perfect place for a relaxing trip with a friend, and I can't wait to return again but this time for a little romance with my boyfriend!

Room Tip: All the rooms in this hotel are gorgeous, you can't go wrong with any of them.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lac5986
Oakland, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was my fourth time staying in Tulum, and my first time at Encantada. All I can say is WOW! When you step inside there is a friendly receptionist there to greet you. Stepping further inside, there is a beautiful fountain, and and opening to the kitchen. The food there is excellent! My friend and I tried many of the restaurants on the main drag, and Encantada is definitely one of the best. All of the ingredients they use are fresh, and the food is simple; yet flavorful. The service in the kitchen is beyond wonderful! Carlos and Jose are amazing waiters, and are very attentive. It is refreshing to see a waitstaff that is always cheerful!
My girlfriend and I stayed in the room "Flores," It was well lit with huge sliding doors, letting in the warm ocean breeze. From the moment we stepped in the room it was very apparent that the owners put so much time and effort into making every detail of the rooms enjoyable. The rooms have incredibly soft and gorgeous wood flooring, aqua blue tiled showers, built in shelving and closet with hangers to hang all of your clothing, and even a huge handmade beach tote to borrow for your trips to the beach! I do have to mention that the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! It was HUGE, and the white sheets were so soft! When my trip had ended I was so sad to leave this beautiful oasis set by the sea! I will definitely be back Encantada...miss you already!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Courtney S
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Encantada is a lovely boutique hotel featuring 8 rooms only and located in between 2 private residences on the beach at the end of the strip hosting the zona hotelera. This already allows more privacy than other hotels located one right after the other on the beach.
We had a room upstairs in a cabana with great ocean views. I would recommend rooms upstairs as I feel they offer more privacy than the ones located in the lower part of the cabanas. But all of them are worth the stay.
Ours was big  and very nicely decorated with an open plan.
It featured a king size bed with a romantic mosquito net we didnt have to use.The bathroom area had a large shower and the shampoo, lotions and bath foam all had beautiful scents.
This is a small boutique hotel aiming to blend with the marvellous nature and local atmosphere so no tv, no hairdryer, no 24 hours room service and no phones but hey...who needs these in paradise?
We also liked  the fact that it caters mainly for couples. It s off limits for kids under the age of 12.
It really felt relaxing and we loved falling asleep listening to the sound of the waves.
Uber romantik!!!
Continental breakfast was included and it  was fresh and delicious offering fruits, toast, handmade bread, jam, yogurt, coffee, freshly squeezed oj and the most incredible granola I have ever tasted in my life.
Staff is courteous and attentive, never intrusive but available to help with restaurant suggestions and info about the area and activities. Just dont be shy and ask they will be pleased to assist. As always it s the people who make a difference. They are really friendly and warm, it felt more like being in some friends' home than in a hotel. The masseuse is professional and  I definitely recommend her services which were reasonably priced.
I am sure this is the most beautiful boutique hotel in Tulum. If I had to build my own it would be very much like this. Rustic, simple, relaxed yet elegant with attention to detail. You feel the owners not only invested substantial money in it, but above all put their heart in the project.
I really have to think hard to find some bad things about it, but I will list something that some might not appreciate i.e.  the lack of air conditioning and the price factor.
True, there is no air con However the constant breeze made it bearable and it wasnt a problem for us.
The hotel is not cheap compared to others here but it is new (they opened 4 months ago), very nicely decorated, with 24 hours electricity  REALLY working and a decent plumbing system( dont take this for granted in Tulum). We felt the extra money was justified. We looked around and we think this is the nicest property on the beach.
Anyway I really had to squeeze my brains to find something negative Encantada.
We Loved  it so much we extended our stay and if back in Tulum...this will be our hotel again. Hurry up as when this little gem is discovered you will be on a long waiting list.
I cant possibly recommend this hotel enough.  I wouldnt consider any other property in Tulum. Thanks Encantada for such a warm, pleasant, lovely, romantic experience.

Room Tip: Ask for Estrella
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JDIvoire
Nanoose Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in Encantada for a few nights in July of 2012 and had the best time. The staff is very attentive and the service is great. The rooms are gorgeous and incredible attention has been put into every detail. Great showers with hot water, wonderful breeze from the ocean and the most magical beach in Mexico. We walked the beach every night and spent time with nesting sea turtles. It was magical.

Room Tip: Pick a ocean front room. The incoming breeze is worth the additional cost.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmitt
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Encantada sets itself apart from the competition in so many ways it's difficult to find the proper words to describe the luxurious atmosphere and attentitve staff. Literally everything about my stay exceeded expectation and allowed my girlfriend and I the romantic getaway of our dreams. The room does ask a higher price than a few of the surrounding establishments but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. When you factor in the complementary bottled water (in room at all times) and delicious breakfast it's not unreasonable to say that the value you're receiving is both cost-effective and well-spent. The view from our deck was phenomenal, looking directly onto the ocean without any obstructions yet complete privacy. As other reviewers have astutely noted, the hotel staff led by Carlos and Rufino attended to our every need and did so with an ease and efficiency that belies the effort they put inot making each guest feel welcome and wanted. I'd absolutely stay at Encantada again and intend to recommend the hotel to any person or couple traveling to Tulum.

Room Tip: Go for the room upgrade and treat yourself to the upstairs beachfront unit. You won't regret it!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dave617
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was my second time to Tulum and first time at the new Encantada resort. First of all the location is ideal for those of you looking for a quite place to relax. It's down the playa from most other hotels, nestled between two private residences, so you practically have the beach to yourself!
The staff are so friendly and willing to giving you recommendations for activities and local restaurants to try (and all their recommendations were spot on)!
The rooms are beautiful. The design and flow is very open. The front walls of the room are sliding doors that open up (with screens) to allow the ocean breeze in. There are plenty of ceiling fans for circulation. The shower was one of my favorite parts of the room! It's open and done in a stunning blue glass! (see photos)
But possibly my most favorite part of Encantada was the bar/restaurant. First of all the "Continental Breakfast" is not your average stale bread and cheerios. You get a whole plate of fresh fruit, yogurt, house-made granola and fresh squeezed OJ- FOR FREE! It makes it totally worth it to buy a tasty latte to go with. The lunch options and cocktails were fabulous too. Best margaritas on the beach!!
I can't say enough about this place! I recommend Encantada to any couples or friends looking to for an affordable, luxurious getaway.

Room Tip: The front rooms, while more expensive are totally worth it. You truly feel like you're on your o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple