“Dos Ojos Dive”

La Calypso Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Tulum: famous Mayan city over the turquoise Caribbean sea, idealistic white sand beaches, cenotes…Our diving center caters to exclusive, personal service, far away from large hotel complexes in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. We will take you in small groups to discover cenotes and the Coral Reef. Thanks to our personal and family style services, we can take care of all your needs and provide particular attention to each and every diver.
Long Beach, California
“Dos Ojos Dive”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I am giving a review for an afternoon dive of Dos Ojos cenote.

I interacted with both Nicolas the shop manager and Nicolas the instructor, as well as Helene via email. Everyone was very pleasant and Nicolas the instructor was the best dive master we've ever had - very knowledgable and fun. The caves were amazing, especially the second tank. It was pouring rain when he dropped us off and I forgot my prescription sunglasses in his truck. If I wasn't leaving early the next morning I would've taken a colectivo taxi back to the shop to get them, but I was unable. They took the time to send them via FedEx back to the States and just let me pay them via PayPal. This was not cheap, so I recommend making sure you're not leaving anything anywhere, but very accommodating of them.

When I return to dive Gran Cenote and Cathedral in the future, I will contact them first.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Portland, Oregon
“Snorkeling Tulum”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We booked a tour with Alex to go snorkeling. I really can't say enough about Alex, La Calypso, or the experience we had. Seriously, the most amazing experience.

All our gear was great--clean and in good condition. On the drive out to the Sac Atun Alex gave us A LOT of history of the Mayan people, as well as information about the geological formations of the Yucatan Peninsula and the underground water system that forms the cenotes. Alex's obvious passion for diving and respect for the historical importance of the locations and the Mayans was evident and added gravity to the overall experience.

The dive itself, well, words won't do it justice. Entering the cenote was awesome: spine-tingling, emotional, overwhelming. The place has an obvious holiness to it (and I'm not, in any way, a spiritual or religious person). It just does. We saw bats, fish, and shrimp, and the caves, stalactites and stalagmites were just incredible. Alex was an attentive guide, making sure we were okay with everything, but also giving us time to be awed by all we were seeing.

I can't say enough about this day. This was surely the way to go to see the cenote. We would not have been able to do this on our own. All the history was invaluable to the experience and having a competent and knowledgable dive guide made this day pretty amazing.

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Open Water Certification with a french twist”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Got my OW certification with them over NYE and it was really the right choice. Very easy to organize by email a few weeks earlier, flexible schedule while being in the most busy week of the year.
Getting your certification is like the lottery in Mexico, you can either get Diving instructors that are mean and or the opposite that don't care and basically sell you the certification

Calypso instructors ar enot onlmy ultra qualified, they are fun and you have to earn your certification... in one word they are the best you can hope for

Laurent

san francisco & guanajuato
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“superb and attentive”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Advanced beginners would describe our diving experience. We have a lot to learn and were fortunate to dive with Nicholas and Nikos on our 3 cavern dives in the cenotes. We learned a lot of techniques due to the personal attention we were given. The dives were memorable secondary to the amazing scenery of the cenotes but also because of the skills we will carry with us on our next dives. They were receptive and attentive in addition to beig nice people. The equipment was great and we felt well taken care of. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend these guys!

Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“A dive shop with very personalised service”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Went with Trip Advisor reviews to select this dive shop to do a few cenote dives near Tulum and were not disapointed. The only hurdle was finding the actual shop (which was 2 steps from our lodging at Maison Tulum, but almost unmarked). Nicolas the divemaster can speak French, English and Spanish and being the only couple with him, we had a very personal service from him. We liked the 2 dives at Calavera and Gran Cenote. Calavera is not for the claustrophobic, with his reduced visibility because of the haloclines. But the light effect it creates is very worth it.
We found this dive shop to be serious, equipment was good and service was great. They also let us pay by paypal, which saved us from spending the cash we were trying to save since our CDN bank cards often failed in the ATMs. Thank you!

Visited December 2013