“Lovely place shame about the service...”
Review of Rosa del Viento

and 1 more site!
Rosa del Viento
Ranked #24 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for two nights in August. The beach is beautiful and the food in the hotel itself is lovely. My issue arose when we were checking out. I had checked out and paid the balance of our bill, i.e for dinner and drinks which we had consumed. The staff here don't always make you sign for the meals at the time you eat/drink. We sat in the bar following check out and had a drink (which we paid for in cash) and waited for our taxi which wasn't due for approx 45 minutes. Our taxi arrived and we went outside. As we were putting our things in to the taxi, a female staff member came running out shouting and saying there had been a mistake with our bill. We were rushing to make a bus and had been sitting 10 feet from her for almost an hour so we were annoyed at this. She then proceeded to advise that there were some drinks not included in the bill that I had just paid. I said that I couldn't recall every single item we had eaten and drank but that I would have thought it should have been included in what I had just paid. She showed me a list of food items, some of which we had never consumed. I told her this and I advised that I was in a rush and asked how much was she saying we owed - she advised it was almost 250 peso! She then proceeded to query how we had paid for the drinks we had while waiting! I told her cash and she asked me which waiter I had paid. I became very annoyed at this point. The male manager/owner then came over and I explained what was going on. He was not pleasant - It was like a shake down before we left. We missed our bus in the end. Fawlty Towers ain't a patch on this place. Very disappointing.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Caroline83_12
rosadelviento2012, Propietario at Rosa del Viento, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Unfortunately a lot what happened ... and make the necessary changes so that this situation does not recur. We hope you give us the chance to show you our improvements.
greetings from Tulum!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

From the moment you are greeted at reception, right through to check out, the experience at Rosa del Viento is just perfect.

It's all in the details and and nothing has been overlooked. The rooms are spacious and ecochic at it's very best. Tall ceilings, walk in shower with rainhead and excellent water pressure .. comfort of the beds, quality of the linens and bath products > someone is seriously paying attention to the details. Rooms are absolutely immaculate.

Infrastructure is not to be taken for granted in Tulum, as it is largely off the grid. Hotels run on generators and septic tanks, with all the inherent problems associated with spotty services. This is not the case at Rosa del Viento .. everything worked perfectly. Even though they advertise Wifi as being available in public areas, I had an excellent connection at all times in my room and at the beach (often not the case in Tulum)

The beach is magnificent, the best in Tulum. There are lovely lounge chairs, palapas and beach beds to relax on while the staff makes sure you have everything you could need or want.

I know many outstanding restaurants in Tulum but after my first meal at Rosa del Viento I ate all of my meals in their lovely dining room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner ... everything was wonderful. Their wood burning oven produces pizzas that rival anything I have eaten in Italia, and their house made tagliatelle would make an Italian nonna swoon. The wait staff is charming, helpful and gracious without hovering or rushing you. The menu is quite extensive (I highly recommend the almond crusted salmon) with something to please everybody. Loved the selection of healthy fruit/veggie drinks. Everything comes out of the kitchen expertly prepared and beautifully presented.

The atmosphere is charming, laid back and romantic, while at the same time being quite family friendly. The owner is on site at all times, making sure everything meets your expectations. The staff is very well trained, friendly and accommodating.

Rosa del Viento is located at the southern end of the hotel strip, very close to Sian Kaan. Taxis do not come by as frequently as they do at the northern end of the strip, so if you are dependent on transportation I suggest asking the receptionist to call for a cab or you may find yourself on the side of the road waiting for one to come by.

The highest compliment a customer can pay a business is to be a repeat customer. I have already booked my next trip.

Room Tip: I was in Room 14, an upstairs unit with a garden view. Loved the privacy of the deck. Very efficient...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kathleen F
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The place is heaven the best beach in tulum good food great clean comfortable rooms...again a bit expansive
Take in to consideration that the price of the room is only the beaning coz you'll pay the hotel more for the food and drinks

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We had a fantastic time at this little hotel. Smack bang on the beach and with a nice little restaurant that does great drinks as well it's a brilliant place to chill out and out your feet up.

They also have bikes that we rented to cycle to the ruins which are about 6kms away

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jeremy G
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We visited Rosa del Viento last week with my wife and baby. The whole experience showed Tulum at its best: ecochic design, top italian home-made food a pristine beach and a hipster (though family friendly) crowd.

We highly recommend this new jewel (opened just 6 months ago) not yet discovered by the mainstream media in New York. Both if you want relaxation on mingling with models and celebrities this is the right spot: not crowded, excellent service, delicious food. The waiters and managers were really friendly with us, and helped us with all the baby "logistics".

All the 15 rooms have air conditioning and most of them have sea view. They are ample and comfortable. Rates are really good value compared to other "chic" options in Tulum. In the whole week we did a good trial on the menu and the highlights were the wood oven pizzas (pizza napolitana!), whole baked fishes, ceviches, and the fish tacos. Congratulations to the owners Massimo and Elisa.

Room Tip: Most of them have an amazing sea view, but a few don't.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank RobertoLhopital
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I wanted calm, service and attention, right on the beach with enough privacy to rest. I just got it: it is named Rosa del Viento. The food is excellent and the owner very friendly. I will return for sure.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank laurent d
rosadelviento2012, Propietario at Rosa del Viento, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thanks for your vote to RDV!
It is so satisfying for us to read that you felt like home ...
Come back soon!

Reviewed June 6, 2012

We had a lovely time at Rosa del Viento! Do not miss out on the massage on the beach or the wonderful cocktails!

• Stayed: June 2012