“Relief from the tourist places”
Review of La Palapita Yucateca - CLOSED

La Palapita Yucateca
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Drawn to this place by the women cooking away in the open and the simple and cheap menu. As vegetarians we wouldn't eat most of the food but quesadillas and empanadas con queso were delicious, and the simple delight of tasty chilequiles con huevos. After all the lights and noise of the other restaurants both in Tulum pueblo and along the beach, this is real comfort street food, served to you sitting on a stool at a bar watching women perform miracles with flour.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Really tasty mexican food. Friendly. Not touristy. I had my first (and only so far) chilaquiles con huevos here. I'd go again. Really good value.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

This is a typical open-air cenaduria on a side street, with an emphasis on Yucatecan specialties. The panuchos (similar to a taco but where the tortilla has been stuffed with black beans) were delicate and airy, not greasy. The toppings were fresh, the salsas flavorful, and the pickled red onions on top were perfect. At $60MXN a piece, you can pretty much eat until you're stuffed.

1  Thank jthrill
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I highly recommend this place! On the surface looks very modest, but already the same list of snacks encouraged us to submit orders. Every day we were trying other dishes, I recommend sopes, huaraches con res, empanadillas con queso...
Everything is done in front of the customer. They make the dough up on the spot!
Staff is very kind and impeccable.
We are very pleased that after two weeks in Mexico have found this place!
Open from about 7.30 to about 22.30, so you can eat breakfast, lunch or dinner.

1  Thank Monika S
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This is a tiny place tucked away. We were the only gringos in the place. There is no menu and no one speaks english but they have the usual mexican fare. It was super cheap. Just 60 pesos for both my boyfriend and I.

1  Thank aussieswholovefood