“Eye opening experience”

Las Palmas Maya
Ranked #6 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 17, 2012

If you're looking for something down to earth, rustic, and really connected to the lifestyle in Tulum this is your place! You will be sure to have an eye opening experience if you chose to visit. Not only do the owners make you feel right at home the manager Tom knows the area like the back of his hand. One of my favorite features was the communal kitchen. This gives you an opportunity to save money as well as connect with the surrounding guests.

I visited with my boyfriend in the middle of July for a week. Yes, the rooms don't have air conditioning but I didn't find this a problem for I'm a lover of the outdoors and knew it would be hot either way, it is Mexico after all. On that note, do expect there to be bugs outside...you will be out in the jungle, these kind of things happen. Bug spray worked just fine for us. All in all I would give the rooms and service a 5. Everything stays clean and the palapas are beautiful. Plus if there's anything you need the owners are happy to help.

Last but not least, I would highly suggest snorkeling with Tom's buddy Niko. He was very informative and you could tell these guys truly love their jobs. We are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amy B

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We paid 800 pesos per night for an accomodation in the basement with cockroaches, no air conditioning, windows& blinds that did not allow for sufficient privacy and a shower with salty water. This is not what we had expected from all the great recommendations on tripadvisor and left us really disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank Indian_Penny
cheryl d, Owner at Las Palmas Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Since we have no basements and certainly no issues with cockroaches, we have asked Trip Advisor to look into this review. No profile information is given, therefore we do not think this is anyone that has actually been a guest at Las Palmas Maya. Those that know Tulum, understand that being "off the grid" typically means no airconditioning.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My stay at Las Palmas Maya was utterly brilliant. The owners were warm and inviting, as was the manager, Tom. The rooms were lovely, and quaint. The atmosphere was one of relaxation and tranquility. Tom, the manager, has a vast knowledge of the area, and was able to refer us to many fun activities around Tulum. He was also a top notch guy, and I can tell that he really loves his job. The hotel is a stone's throw away from the third best beach in the world, which truly lived up to its reputation- absolutely beautiful. You'd have to be a crazy person to not have the time of your life here.

Room Tip: All the rooms excellent.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank John C
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Excuse barthuelt's experience, but i believe that Las Palmas Maya met every standard that a hotel should meet. I had such a wonderful time staying there. Everything was nicely laid out, and I felt very comfortable. The manager Tom, did everything he could to make you feel welcome, relaxed, and gave wonderful advice as to what attractions around the area would give me a better experience. The beach is only a 45 sec walk away from the hotel, which shouldn't be a problem for anybody. I want to advise anybody that plans on staying in the Tulum area to stay at Las Palmas Maya. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jimmy H
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've been remiss in writing this review, but it should in no way reflect on LPM....

My 7 year old daughter and I traved the Yucatan together in early June. Our 3/4 night stay in Tulum/LPM/Coba/Punta Laguna was the middle segment of our travels and proved to be the highlight of our trip.

Aside from large resort and beach front rentals around Playa, my child hadn't really seen experienced MX, so I planned a budget minded adventure and activities in the Yucatan and Tulum was a must visit on the list.

We initially identified LPM for the following reasons:
Price, dogs on the premises (surrogate dogs for my daughter), outdoor kitchen and TA reviews.
The two factors we BOOKED our stay:
Dogs on premises and Cheryl's prompt response to any/all questions I had regarding LPM and Tulum. I hadn't visited Tulum is 8/9 years and Cheryl was most helpful with our preparations.

LPM was between groups during the time of our stay, so we had the compound to ourselves.The Owners were back in the states visiting, so we didn't have the pleasure of meeting them but we hope to remedy this in the near future.

In my opinion, all the reviews, pros and few cons are accurate and thanks to TA reviews, I felt very comfortable in knowing what to expect, so here are a few of our tips/observations/experiences:

-We made reservations for a CHEAP, basic, manual rental car in Cancun after our stay in Isla Mujeres--base price 7 day rental was only $60US/$145 w tax/insurance (off season pricing) from Best Day car rental-they didn't push additional insurance, were accommodating and met us at the ferry in Cancun. The car was equipped w/AC, but no ph charger or radio, however served our purpose just fine. I think it was a Nissan--same car used by many cabs in the area.

-I had emailed Cheryl with concerns of tourist/travels being targeted by local police for speeding (read on a TA forum) however, I witnessed/experienced none--maybe because of the modest car (ha,ha)-- but I did mind my speed on the road from the main hwy/Tulum ruins to Tulum beach road. If one chooses to speed on the beach road, they deserve a ticket--there are so many speed bumps and lots of foot and bike traffic.

-Mr. Tom (as my daughter calls him) is fabulous.
I had had very few English conversations with adults in the 4 days prior so was eager for adult communication. I talked his ear off the first day we arrived but he didn't flinch: he was very helpful, gracious and kind. Knowing my B loves dogs Mr. Tom scheduled frisbee time on the beach the following day with the handsome Hondo dog. I can't tell you how much fun she had, and how much her mother appreciated this. :-)

-Although I've made note of the dogs, they are in no way intrusive. Tom was always mindful of asking if we welcomed the dogs about. So please don't allow all my dog references deter you if you aren't a dog person.

-The four cabana rooms are named--we had the upstairs Gecko room. There are corresponding containers in the fridge and pantry area to store your goods.
BTW, there's no reason to stop for provisions before you arrive in Tulum--the Chedraui is fully equipped with staples, prepared food, baked goods, international foods, cerveza, liquor and some clothing--Think a hybrid HEB if you're from TX or a small Super Target (with much better produce) or Whole Foods minus the organics. They also carry my fat free french vanilla coffee creamer which I was THRILLED to see.

-The pics don't do the property justice. Although budget accommodations, the furnishings were solid and setting far exceeded my expectations. The beds/bedding/pillows are pretty comfy.

-LPM provides a printed list of info, placed in the rooms--including restaurants picks--its a good 1st night, 5 min read.

-In early June, the evening temps didn't cool down below 85 by the time my little one went to bed and sadly, there was little to no breeze in the room so Mr. Tom provided two fans to accommodate. By the time I retired nightly--about 11/12ish, the temp was comfortable enough.

-Mosquitoes: Yep...got 'em, they are unfortunate companions but manageable.

-LPM provides bar and had soap but not shampoo.

-The kitchen was well equipped w/ cookware, utensils, plates, plastic containers and some spices/seasonings for your use during the stay.

-Drinking water jug sits on the kitchen counter and ice in the cooler was always available to fill water bottles.

-The beach road is narrow (10 adult steps IF that). Also, little traffic at this end of the beach, so I had no issue allowing B to cross to/fro LPM to beach-side OM/Casa Violeta by herself. The cabbies who travel up and down the road would even stop for her to cross.
BTW, The cabbies beep @ you if you're walking on the road--it their way of asking if you need a ride. This took me a day to realize they weren't honking at me to get OFF the road.

-Om: Very Zen. The pizza was good-not great but good. While the service is very courteous, but they don't seem to have beach service. Go in to order or you'll wait a looong time--just a very laid back and unobtrusive attitude OR this could have been low season ?? I think they have a 200/250 peso minimum for cards.

-Casa Violeta--adjacent to OM, about the same prices: $10-13 for pizza, $6-8 for ceviche, $2.50/3 for MX cerveza, $5ish for mixed/iced drinks but a little more attentive beach service.

-We very much enjoyed the service, fish tacos and setting @ Mateos.

-We found no reason to send any time in Tulum Pueblo, but to drop off a few young travels hitching a ride or go to the Chedraui.
-Per Tom's rec, if you go to Coba, be sure to check out the cenote that begins with a "T" it's a about a 10min drive from Coba (mind the potholes). Inside the cenote, there are 2 jumping platforms: 50 and 15 feet. We opted only for the 15 ft jump. ;-) Pack a lunch and your snorkeling equip if you have the time...We spent about an hour cooling off in the centote after visiting Coba and had the place to ourselves at times between bused tours.

-Punta Laguna Nature Reserve: about 15/20 mins from Coba--the opposite direction at the round-about off 109 . Guided (mandatory) hike though the jungle in search of spider and howler monkeys in their natural habitat--which we did see--with a stop at the lagoon and their cenote. 350 some odd pesos--about 35 US + a tip for the guide. We also purchased some jewelry made by the local Mayan women and children. It was hot, the hike was almost miserable but the fauna and giant butterfiles during migration were beautiful. Glad we went and felt good about spending the $ there--the community is very poor.

-I did find our room to be dark during the day, but this was of little concern as we had little reason to be IN the room during the day.

Lastly, a testament of how much we enjoyed our experience at LPM and Tulum: After leaving Tulum, we checked into a resort in PDC that was equipped with all the activities and comforts a child could desire--we even had a private pool--but by the second day, little B asked to return to Tulum for the day to see LPM, Mr. Tom, Hondo, Sky and Chloe dogs before we went back to TX. She made the comment that she didn't feel like we were at a hotel (at LPM) but a guest in someone's home and she wanted to say thank you and goodbye again. So we did, but sadly Mr. Tom was out taking care of business when we returned...

Thank you LPM for you hospitality and playing a special part of our mommy/daughter summer trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank mhouse
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The rooms were decent and seemed recently renovated. The bed was confortable and the mosquito net was useful as well as the fan since it was very very hot when we came here. Everything was clean.The rest of the hotel is pretty simple, a few coconuts and hamacs, there is an access to the beach but the hotel is not directly on the beach. There is also a communal kitchen in the middle of the patio which adds up to the friendy atmosphere, you can store your groceries or cook your own meal, etc. It is useful if you want to have breakfast as it is not included. Be careful, there isno electriity during the day, it is real eco-tourism.
Apart from that we found the place a bit noisy as the walls were very thin (especially the floor above our heads) and the fan noisy too.
I would say this place is perfect for people who want to stay for a medium-long term inTulum with a limited budget! Otherwise, there might be options with a bit more charm, in my opinion
Cheryl and Tom seemed very nice even if we only stayed for a night

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank barthuelt
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Loved our stay at Las Palmas Maya....beds were very comfy and even though we were there in the heat of the summer, the fan kept us cool, the mosquito net protected us well, and we slept great. Tom, the manager is the perfect host! Not only is he extremely attentive and gracious, but he is the fountain of knowledge around there....from booking trips to tips on restaurants, what to see, what to do, he has it all! On top of that, he makes a mean Mexican coffee in the morning....best one around for sure!! You won't find a more gracious host anywhere! The communal kitchen is a lot of fun and gives it a family feel. Cheryl, the owner, is very responsive to any email inquiries and extremely helpful. All in all, a fantastic experience, one I would highly recommend. We even survived a category 1 hurricane!!

Room Tip: room with a breeze...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family