“Great dive shop for cave divers”

ProTec Advanced Training Facility
Reviewed January 31, 2013

If I had known I could post a review on Protec, I would have done so earlier. We used them for several days during a trip to Cozumel and Tulum. Kim was our main contact and Alvaro also helped us too. We had a couple of guided dives which were fantastic. Kim did a great job in describing the dives beforehand and pointing out some remains, pottery, etc. He helped us with dive locations, lunch, getting to and from dive sites, lodging suggestions, restaurants, taxis, airport transportation, and probably some stuff that I have omitted. He also gave us some pointers that helped us with SM aluminum tanks.

The dive shop was nice, clean, well equipped, and had storage lockers that we took advantage of. I will definitely go back to Protec during my next visit to Tulum.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

There is lots of diveshops on Tulum but those are for recreational cavern divers. If you are a Cavediver PROTEC Tulum is where you are going to Get the most Professional service,kind,organized,availability,clean,THANK you PROTEC Tulum you guys rock!
Kim is a great guy he lent me his own stage regulator for free. Been 3 times with Them for renting cave equipment, fill Nitrox 32.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

A big thank you, to the staff and friends of the Protec dive centre, here in Tulum, Mexico. I have just spent 4 weeks diving, and nothing is too big or too small for the staff here.

They run a top notch, very professional shop, fully equipped with all things cave related. they are happy to help you with everything you need. weeks before i arrived Kim was sending me manuals, hotel names, booking requests, you name it, they had it planned out.

from day one to the day 31 Kim and the rest of the team were awesome. After my course, Kelvin the laid back Kiwi was only too happy to show me around the cave systems day after day after day.

i intend to make this trip couple times a year, well worth every penny. thank you again guys.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have been diving with Protec Playa for almost 10 years, I come down almost every year for at least two weeks and sometimes up to 5 weeks. I have always used Protec for gear rentals, fills, and general support and have never been disappointed. These folks live and breathe cave diving and this new facility in Tulum shows it. Quality air, a new compressor, booster pump and stockpiles of HE and O2 for custom mixed gases all ready to go when you are, plus a membrane system and banks for Nitrox. This building is much larger than the PDC facility with two classrooms, a larger retail area, rigging areas just for CCR divers where you can leave your rig overnight instead of lugging it back to a hotel. Having this shop right in Tulum has saved us 90 minutes a day on the road back and forth from PDC. Thanks Matt, Patrick, Kim and the rest of the crew for being there for us.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

While visiting Tulum last week without any of my cave dive friends, I was itching to get in a day of cave diving anyway. True, I could have rented tanks and gone solo in one of the cave systems I'd visited many times before. But I wanted more of an adventure. I wanted to see something new!

After researching reviews and websites of several dive shops in Tulum, I selected ProTec and started contacting them by email. From the first response (which I got back in less than 2 hours) to the time I was at their shop signing paperwork for the trip, I had a sense these guys were going to be good. And I was not wrong.

Kim met me at the shop two days before the dive and talked with me at length about their facility and new places that I could dive with their guide. This was a challenge because I'd been to most of the caves they usually take customers. Kim provided me with four interesting choices for me to consider. I went back to the hotel to research them on-line.

On the morning of the dive I met Alvaro, my guide for the day. I had originally suggested we go to Dreamgate cenote, but Alvaro made a good case for touring Xunaan Ha instead. He had heard from Kim my appreciation for Minotauro, and he felt Xunaan Ha was more likely to interest me. I am very thankful he talked me into it, because Xunaan Ha was a real treat to dive! I am now wondering why I had never visited this system before. We did two dives on ProTec's 32% nitrox filled doubles. First dive was in the upstream section for 127 minutes. Second dive was downstream and lasted 90 minutes. Strikingly different sections of the same cave system and I honestly cannot say which I enjoyed more!

On the downstream dive, Alvaro had me lead the dive so I would get to see the delicate halocline in its most pristine state. Oh, if you have never played in a halocline before, let me tell you that being lead diver through it can be an exceptional treat. Especially in this particular cave system when it is so well defined!

Due to the long dives, our day ended pretty late. Got back to the ProTec shop at 4:30 pm. A long, but exhilarating day. At no time, either in the water or on land, did I feel rushed or under any kind of deadline. As organizer, driver and guide for my day of diving Alvaro was friendly, relaxed, patient, professional. Would I dive with him again? Absolutely.

It had been several years since I last contracted a dive shop to do a day of cave diving. I was initially concerned about being treated like a newbie, or an unknown factor to be handled with kid gloves. Let me say that Protec Tulum did none of that. My experience was totally positive, with everyone at Protec being consummate professionals who really knew how to treat customers right.

3  Thank CaveDiversAnonymous