“Exhale Here...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amansala Eco Chic Resort
Ranked #48 of 105 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I just got back from my 4th trip to Tulum and my 3rd experience staying at Amansala on a yoga retreat organized through YogaWorks in Santa Monica. I am consistently impressed with the staff with some staff standouts such as Marcos, Alex and Darlene. I booked my massages with Amy and Michael, and recommend both, with a special holla to Michael and his healing hands.
I will continue to make my yearly pilgrimage to Amansala for sun, yoga, incredible people and outstanding location.
What you won't need there: Shoes. They are rarely worn!
What you may need: Bug spray - if a storm stops through briefly the mosquitoes get very hungry. Where you should definitely eat while in Tulum: Posada Margherita
Definitely bring: Friends - but if traveling solo you will have no problems meeting great people.
Thanks to Amansala once again for recharging my body and mind!
xoxo to Marcos!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We booked 4 nights for a bit of semi luxury, it's not high end but it's also not cheap either but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're doing either the yoga or the bootcamp. Having booked through hotels.com we were given a room in the 'main house' which has four inward facing rooms without a balcony or hammock (there are public ones in the garden and on the beachfront). When we first arrived and were unpacking we noticed a damp smell in the room and when pulling back the sheets to climb in, noticed a fair amount of sand between the sheets. After complaining, the staff member moved us to another room next door. It was cleaner with its own mosquito net but also with the only windows opposite the rear of the kitchen so it was hard to relax in the room with constant chatter and cooking smells.
If you are on the bootcamp program food and bikes are included as part of the cost but not if you're just getting a room, but because everyone mingles together when you actually ask for a menu or a bike you are then treated with a little disdain by staff as though you are putting them out.
I would suggest, if you want to get involved with the bootcamp and fitness stuff happening it would be a great location for a holiday but if you are wanting to relax, you might want to consider elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 27, 2013

if i had written this after the first 2 days, i would have been pretty negative. i signed for a detox but upon arrival nobody seemed to know what we were going to do and what kind of food we should be fed. i was disappointed at first but then realized that the staff genuinely cared and things actually worked. we were told that other than our raw food diet, we could join all bikini bootcamp activities and communal table. i got to meet a group of diverse and extremely interesting woman, the kind that don't act to look attractive to a man. the north american staff, even if not corporation efficient, and the super efficient yet spontaneous waiting staff showered us with genuine attention and care. food was tasty, healthy and balanced...and whenever anybody had different needs, those were always accommodated. i went to de-stress, rejuvenate and lose some weight and came back accomplished plus with some good friends, who were mostly traveling solo. once i went past the 2 days of nervousness that every detox brings along, the stress melted away and a feeling of vitality and happiness took over.
yes they call some rooms deluxe, yet there is no a/c; yes the mosquito nets may have small holes, but you will get to live literally on the beach...on an amazing pristine one.
so to wrap up, if you are looking for the super organized resort, maybe amansala it's not for you; if you want to detox with some coaching, maybe they are not yet fully equipped yet, but bikini bootcamp works perfectly and so does the kitchen. if you feel more comfortable being addressed as Mr...or Ms... then it's not for you: everybody is addressed by their first name...and that does't feel like a rule. i need to report, that i was introduced to a healing technique/phylosophy by one of the therapists /healers and i will always be grateful for that. it is not a ashram and a cheap place either, but the whole experience was magical and i hope to keep that feeling with me for as long as possible

Room Tip: they market chica as more deluxe...to me it was the same, but i only slept in my room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alessandro B
DarleneMonique, Guest Relations Manager at Amansala Eco Chic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Allesandro was such a pleasure to have at Amansala. He gave us some great feedback, almost all of which we have implemented already.

This was our first group for a new Destination Detox program. The program is designed to be 80% raw. Allesandro let us know he wanted to go 100% raw, and we were happy to accommodate him, but this did require us to re-plan and re-shop...which in turn, caused a delay on the first day. Some supplies are very difficult to find locally, and did require a half-day tripe, made by our Nutritionist (on her day off).
We genuinely care about our guests, and always do our best to accommodate them.

We're very happy that Allesandro loved the food, and met new friends. Amansala is a very special place that brings people together. And overall he accomplished his personal goals set here, we hope to see Allesandro again soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Amansala was a beautiful, rustic space with wonderful, attentive dining staff. The views were spectacular and my group really enjoyed the common spaces we used for our retreat. One evening, we arrived back to the hotel an hour and a half late for our dinner and the kitchen staff had stuck around keeping our meal hot so we wouldn't starve. They were so sweet and understanding about it, even though we were mortified to have kept them waiting.

If you are high-maintenance and can't wrap your head around the concept of "Mexico Time", this is probably not the hotel for you. Our group ended up having to be pretty flexible with communication disconnects between the staff and we were moved from our reserved common areas a couple of times. We were all pretty flexible people, otherwise it could have been very unpleasant for everyone.

At the beginning of the trip, I really enjoyed the fresh, organic cuisine. After a few days it got very repetitive - fish every evening was a little tiresome. Their soups were wonderful, though, and the staff was great about bringing special things out upon request. It felt good to know that I was eating healthfully for the most part and the couple of times we ventured out into restaurants, we enjoyed them all that much more.

The low point - they give you a safe in your room for a reason. Use it for anything you care about keeping. There are no locks on the doors and though we were assured repeatedly that "we have NEVER had a problem with theft," my wedding ring disappeared from the bathroom counter on my second to last night. I am fully accountable for the fact that I didn't lock it up, but I was disappointed when the first words out of the woman at the front desk when I told her it had gone missing were "Why didn't you put it in the safe?" This same woman had gone out of her way to tell me how secure everything was the night of my arrival and I trusted that. While I was provided a lock for my door, it only had one key and that was not going to work with my roommate situation. I met the maid that cleaned the room and did not at ALL get the feeling that she would have taken anything, but I do know there were other staff in and out and just really didn't get the feeling the reception staff was taking it seriously until I spoke to a member of the night staff about it. He really listened to me, advised he would have his security rake the sand around our room (just in case it was swept up accidentally in the cleaning process) and would speak to the staff. While the ring never reappeared, it really meant a lot to be heard and that made a big difference for me to see that action was being taken, which was very refreshing after the initial cavalier reaction I received from the two women I spoke to at reception in the morning. I still don't know what exactly happened, but my takeaway was that I will never bring anything to Mexico again that I care about losing.

All in all, I would recommend Amansala, particularly for group trips and am pleased with my time at their beautiful hotel.

1  Thank BakulaPatel
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Amansala has gotten too big for its britches. Once a beautiful, peaceful, higher-end eco-chic resort, now it is a money-grubbing income machine. I went here for lunch and let the wait-staff know I would be seated outside. No one ever came to take my order, so eventually I went inside to place an order. The staff was just hanging out, and the place was mostly empty, simply no excuse for the lack of service. I'm not even complaining about slow service, I know this is Mexico, I'm complaining about NO service. No one ever asked if we'd like something to drink either, luckily I had brought my own water. When our order did come, they had screwed up the 170 peso quesadilla. Instead of it having mushrooms and chicken in it, it just had cheese. For 170 pesos it better damn well be filled with something. When we sent it back, they just opened it up and stuffed the mushrooms and chicken inside. My fish tacos were tasty, but again, incredibly overpriced. When it came time to get the bill, the waitstaff never came. We briefly considered a chew and screw, but our morals got the best of us and we went inside to ask for the check. Quite honestly, I don't care if Demi Moore comes here and shags 19 year old boys and asks to be called "Topper", I just want to get a goddamn fish taco and have a margarita. Is that such a hard request to follow? As a location scout, I will absolutely NOT recommend this venue to any of my clientele, as I would be so embarrassed if they received the same lack of service that I did. Oh, and maybe the tides have turned, literally, for Amansala. What used to be a "pristine beach" is now littered with rotting seaweed. I guess they got what they deserved, a stinking pile of garbage. The only reason I'm giving two stars is because the food is tasty and the grounds are pretty.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank darcitananda
missyglee, Manager at Amansala Eco Chic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

I am so sorry your quessadilla did not come with the mushrooms and chicken but hope the wait was worth it. I am sorry you are upset about the $170 pesos charge for your plate but our portions are HUGE and everything is fresh and delicious. We are the same place as we always have been. A place built from love with a staff that is like family and what must have happened is you stopped in for lunch probably during a busy meal time from a group and did not get the service you deserved for which we do apologize and will work on improving. Thank you for taking the time for your feedback.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

After calling a few hotels in Tulum and finally deciding for Amansala, we were excited to try a new hotel (not cheap, by the way) in the area.
Our reservation was only for Friday night; paid in advance of course, 260USD for one semi sea view room, 160USD for a garden view room, since they only had one semi ocean view left.
Surprisingly, one day before (Thursday) I got a mail asking at what time we were arriving on Thursday, therefore I kindly answered back stating that our reservation was not for Thursday but for Friday.
After clearing up this mess, we arrived Friday 5:00PM and oh surprise! They had only one room available... we were left out with no room. They asked us to go out for dinner and that everything would be solved by the time we were back. We did as we were told and when we came back nothing was done! And no one seemed to care either.
Finally they gave us a room: no fan, no curtains, no lock, no towels, only one pillow and a cot.
The next day we spoke to the General Manager directly to complain about all that had happened the day before, he said he was sorry and that was it. No refund, no real apologies, no complimentary massage, nothing! He couldn´t care less...
Later on, we talked to one of the guys of reception who told us he was very sorry and he was about to quit his job because it was always the same with the management in Amansala, he explained to us that C.D, R.W and D. B made reservations a couple of days in advance and of course.... who cares about normal (and frequent) guests when you can get Hollywood stars? I should´ve known better!
There was another couple who was left with no room (also prepaid), I guess I should be thankful to have slept in a cot and not in the car!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel just in case!
15  Thank Socape
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great place to rest, have fun, great food and beautiful eco-chic accomodations!

Tulum has beautiful sights and Amansala works on making the view beautiful and respects nature.

Many activities to enjoy, the staff is very nice to all the customers !
Near the hotel there are many other options for dinning.

• Stayed: July 2012