“Over-rated and terrible service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amansala Eco Chic Resort
Ranked #38 of 90 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Amansala has gotten too big for its britches. Once a beautiful, peaceful, higher-end eco-chic resort, now it is a money-grubbing income machine. I went here for lunch and let the wait-staff know I would be seated outside. No one ever came to take my order, so eventually I went inside to place an order. The staff was just hanging out, and the place was mostly empty, simply no excuse for the lack of service. I'm not even complaining about slow service, I know this is Mexico, I'm complaining about NO service. No one ever asked if we'd like something to drink either, luckily I had brought my own water. When our order did come, they had screwed up the 170 peso quesadilla. Instead of it having mushrooms and chicken in it, it just had cheese. For 170 pesos it better damn well be filled with something. When we sent it back, they just opened it up and stuffed the mushrooms and chicken inside. My fish tacos were tasty, but again, incredibly overpriced. When it came time to get the bill, the waitstaff never came. We briefly considered a chew and screw, but our morals got the best of us and we went inside to ask for the check. Quite honestly, I don't care if Demi Moore comes here and shags 19 year old boys and asks to be called "Topper", I just want to get a goddamn fish taco and have a margarita. Is that such a hard request to follow? As a location scout, I will absolutely NOT recommend this venue to any of my clientele, as I would be so embarrassed if they received the same lack of service that I did. Oh, and maybe the tides have turned, literally, for Amansala. What used to be a "pristine beach" is now littered with rotting seaweed. I guess they got what they deserved, a stinking pile of garbage. The only reason I'm giving two stars is because the food is tasty and the grounds are pretty.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank darcitananda
missyglee, Manager at Amansala Eco Chic Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

I am so sorry your quessadilla did not come with the mushrooms and chicken but hope the wait was worth it. I am sorry you are upset about the $170 pesos charge for your plate but our portions are HUGE and everything is fresh and delicious. We are the same place as we always have been. A place built from love with a staff that is like family and what must have happened is you stopped in for lunch probably during a busy meal time from a group and did not get the service you deserved for which we do apologize and will work on improving. Thank you for taking the time for your feedback.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

After calling a few hotels in Tulum and finally deciding for Amansala, we were excited to try a new hotel (not cheap, by the way) in the area.
Our reservation was only for Friday night; paid in advance of course, 260USD for one semi sea view room, 160USD for a garden view room, since they only had one semi ocean view left.
Surprisingly, one day before (Thursday) I got a mail asking at what time we were arriving on Thursday, therefore I kindly answered back stating that our reservation was not for Thursday but for Friday.
After clearing up this mess, we arrived Friday 5:00PM and oh surprise! They had only one room available... we were left out with no room. They asked us to go out for dinner and that everything would be solved by the time we were back. We did as we were told and when we came back nothing was done! And no one seemed to care either.
Finally they gave us a room: no fan, no curtains, no lock, no towels, only one pillow and a cot.
The next day we spoke to the General Manager directly to complain about all that had happened the day before, he said he was sorry and that was it. No refund, no real apologies, no complimentary massage, nothing! He couldn´t care less...
Later on, we talked to one of the guys of reception who told us he was very sorry and he was about to quit his job because it was always the same with the management in Amansala, he explained to us that C.D, R.W and D. B made reservations a couple of days in advance and of course.... who cares about normal (and frequent) guests when you can get Hollywood stars? I should´ve known better!
There was another couple who was left with no room (also prepaid), I guess I should be thankful to have slept in a cot and not in the car!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel just in case!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
15  Thank Socape
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great place to rest, have fun, great food and beautiful eco-chic accomodations!

Tulum has beautiful sights and Amansala works on making the view beautiful and respects nature.

Many activities to enjoy, the staff is very nice to all the customers !
Near the hotel there are many other options for dinning.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank LuisadelaCanal
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I recently went on my first yoga retreat in Tulum. I have been retreating in Mexico for years now, at least once, sometimes twice a year typically on the Pacific Coast. I choose to take a chance and follow my teacher on her Carribean Retreat, rather than her usual this year to try something different and see what the Carribean would be like.

I heard of Amansala via friends, magazines and other yoga enthusiasts....I have to say the recent negative reviews I have found her have been surprising, and I wonder if they have been written by a competitor because they certainly do not reflect the Amansala I experienced.

I generally do not have time to write reviews, but I truly felt compelled to write after comparing what I read previous to my vist with what I experienced while staying there.

Essentially Amanasala seemed to me like a female run business that catered to women who are looking for a place to heal, expand, and explore. Of course there are a few token handsome men, but overall this place felt like a haven for women. The men that worked there were some of the nicest, most interesting men I have met in a while. This place certainly catered to women who just wanted to step out of their lives and into place where they could meet like minded women in a less competitive atmosphere.

I signed up for a yoga retreat with a teacher I admire. However, while I was there, they did have Bikini Bootcamp going on as well. We all felt instantaneously part of a 6 day community that ended up sharing classes, stories, sunblock...lol....

I thoroughly enjoyed the waitstaff, which were primarily Mexican and the reception staff which seemed to be from everywhere...Poland, Canada, Mexico, Spain, US, Czech Republic, Argentina and so many other places. They certainly made you feel like a part of their international family and all had interesting stories as to how they ended up living in this beautiful Carribean Town..

I do hope my review reaches the people that made me feel so at home in Tulum. I wil surely come back and visit and I hope when I do return, some of the same familiar faces will be there.

Thank you...Melissa, Josh, Darlene, Kelly, Cole, Alex, Hector and the rest of the Amansala Family for making my transition from the pacific to the Carribean, an easy one!!!!

See you this time next year!!!!!

Aluna!!!

Room Tip: Amansala has amazinly healthy food, but please do take time to explore the restaurants in walking di...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Aluna L
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was there last summer and i truely enjoyed everything. The staff is so kind and is always willing to help out with anything. The workouts, yoga and meals are perfectly balanced. I recommend this venue for anyone who needs to escape from the jungle city and find themselves again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank lorechannel
Reviewed March 6, 2013

If you're thinking about staying here, stop thinking and just book it. The food, the staff, the rooms, and oh yes, the incredible beach will make you pinch yourself and ask "Am I really here?".

The guacamole is incredible and the habanero salsa will knock your socks off.
The rooms are spacious and clean with comfortable beds. In many of the rooms you will even have great views of the sunrise from your bed.

The Amansala dogs are an absolute treasure! Get ready to feel the love!!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank justbreathe1
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This review is from a stressed out career woman, and soon to be, mother of the bride, who needed a safe, fun, simple, planned, warm, seaside vacation with options for meeting people or just being alone, unplugged, with a room with a view, please, if possible. Add to that plenty of activities, healthy food and, oh yes, a great massage and facial (Michael and Laura, respectively). All I could say was "wow" when I was shown my third floor beach front room in Chica. It ranks as one of my top 5 best room views, not only from your private balcony, but also from the comfort of your romantic king-sized mosquito netted bed at that, and this is saying a lot as I have traveled the world and always request "the view". Right, there is no ac, no fan (but what a breeze at night from the ocean) some dog barking ( for those of you who like dogs and like to know they are watching out for you at night, you'll love these golden labs, these dogs are family pets and a hoot), no electricity at late night ( better to see the stars) and well, things just run on a much slower pace and if you can't leave that sense of entitlement at home and just go with the Tulum flow, you'll hate it. I signed up for bikini bootcamp, had some smashing classes, exercised my butt off, met great people from all over the world, took the side trips to Tulum and the cenotes, visited the charming town and did a little shopping, and absolutely loved the way healthy food. Melissa is a very nice person, and has a lot going on, probably could use some help with that. She was spot on when I had a complaint regarding transport and credited my bill right away. There are a lot of young people working there, but I liked them, too, and most were helpful. I would definitely go back, bring a flashlight and batteries for walking at night, bugspray, forget warm clothing, you don't need it there now even at night. What I would suggest to Melissa for improvement--fans in the room, no wifi charge ,but, if there is any we weren't charged, better transport arrangements, better bar, you can get wine and some mixed drinks, but very limited selection, if you are not a BBCamper this might matter more. But hey, overall, by day 2, I was in a Tulum state of mind, this area is very bohemian and diverse, but all the people are friendly. If you aren't ready to simplify your life, don't go, you'll hate it. But for me, this was just what i was hoping for...

Room Tip: Top floor of Chica facing the ocean or beachside huts in older portion
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo