“amazing beach, dirty sheets, overpriced”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amansala Eco Chic Resort
Ranked #45 of 93 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2013

the overall rating only is related to the amazing, paradise like beach (see photos). We spent the whole day on the beach and it really was amazing. we also checked out the beaches of neighboring ressorts / hotels and definitely amansala was by far the best.

food was good but not mexican at all (after 14 days road trip we were very happy about that), mexican staff were very friendly and took care, if anything was needed (except the towell and sheets thing). American staff (owner and some girls at the reception) somehow were not very friendly and didn't exactly make us feel super-welcome. but basically we did not have very much to do with them.

rooms are nice (we had room number 2 in the main house), no air condition but fan, mosquito net, cannot lock rooms (do not know what that is for) but there's a large safe.

what we did not like:
did not even get towels the first day (because they were out of towels) - taking the price they charge into account, that was really disappointing.

even worse was the fact, that we got sheets with stains all over it (see photos) - when asking for clean ones we were told, that there are no clean ones this day, they'll arrive next day and they'll change them - and they did, but the new one had just as many stains all over it as the old one.
If Melissa is reading this: you really should think about getting new sheets.

they have a menu, but actually half the dishes or drinks on it are not available - we had that all the time, no matter if there was no more dos-equis-beer, no bananas for banana pan cakes or no desert. that is kind of mexican, but if charging us-prices there should be us-service.

generally the place is overpriced, food is expensive and you do not get receipts so you cannot follow their charges. the worst and most confusing: the menus show mexican pesos prices, on your bills (that you have to sign, but never get) they charge in usd and when I paid in mexican pesos they converted it back with an exchange rate of 12.5.... actually I did not understand the calculation, nor was I shown it, so I'm pretty sure, that was a rip off. And when I asked for a receipt the owner explained that there's none...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mi B

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Tulum during New Years so it was basically the high high season. Most places were fully booked so we were lucky to find a room by the sea at Amansala after deserting our substandard room at Zahra. The room was spacious and clean and the bathroom area was more than adequate. The beach area has plenty of lounge chairs and shade so spending days on the beach reading was not a problem :) The daily breakfast of fruit and yogurt was perfect and the massages were outstanding (firm enough but not painful). We also joined Kiya's bikini boot camp class and it was outstanding. Sarah at reception was also great. There are a few really good restaurants across the road and down the beach but I would also recommend heading in to town to get a more local experience. And go to Coba to climb above the trees!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My friends and I planned a trip for my birthday, We wanted to stay at Amansala but were told they only had a room the new place. Little did I know this was the best thing that could have happend. The main Amansala was pumping with a yoga group and we were at first disappointed to be put in the new place but once we arrived we were thrilled. It was beautiful. All white washed cement with really nice rooms. We took two rooms with two bed that were not right in front of the sea but were really bright and airy and nice. There is a stunning yoga room there and my friend who is a yoga teacher taught us classes each morning with a view of the jungle to one side and the sea to the other. It was magical.
there is a really cozy lobby to the place that is the central hang out for all the guests. Tea and coffee were there most of the day and everyone who was staying at the place got to know each other so by day three it felt really homey.
All of us got massages at the other Amansala and we each thought ours was the best. really..it was the best massage of my life by a woman named Laura.
We also ate great salads...hard to find in Tulum but they do them really nice here.

I would definitely go back and actually am going back in April and am counting down the days.

Room Tip: Ask the two guys who work there about the cenote hike in the jungle...it was unbelievable.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MiriamFV
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We arrived to Amansala not really sure what to expect as we were told our room was in the new Chica section which is about one minute walk from the original Amansala. We arrived around dusk and walked into this beautiful oasis with candles lit, insence buring, nice music and a really wonderful host named Marcos. Our room was small but very comfortable with a king bed, a small terrace and a large dressing area.I saw some of the other rooms which were right in front of the sea and very spacious but not available over our dates that looked amazing. The whole style of the place is wonderful blending the typical cabana style but with a sort of Morrocan feel. We popped in and out of several other places where we had friends staying and felt fortunate to be staying here. The place was definitely made by someone paying attention to details with things like hooks to hang your clothes on, reading lamps, handmade baskets, nice pillows, made it especially nice.

The restaurant was under construction during our stay but they did breakfast in the lounge and had coffee ready for me to watch the sunset which I loved.

There is a rooftop to sunbathe on when the wind gets too intense on the beach or to see the best sunset in Tulum. Would defintiely recommend this place to anyone looking for a peaceful place with style and good value. Fernando and Marcos were the two that took care of the guests where we were and went out of their way to do anything they could to make our stay magical.

We ate some meals at the Amansala Grande next door which were delicious and did yoga there as well and it was always a great vibe there but nice to come back home to our quieter side at the end of the day.-

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Staying in Amansala was quite a relaxing time only if it was for a couple of days, Escaping from the city and enjoying the weekend it was completly enjoyable.

The purpose of the trip was just to simply escape to an unpluged enviorment and enjoy the sounds of nature and distract the mind of the daily actvities. I also wanted to learn a bit more about yoga and I had a great time, learning yoga and also enjoying local fresh cuisine.

A few points I wanted to mention that were enjoyable were the rooms with a view, the food, and the lovely beach.

I originaly booked a garden room, which was very nice, but with luck there was a beautiful seaview room available when I arrived, so I paid extra.

The food was delicious and healthy!!!!

I love the sun and beach and I have to say, I spent most of my time just on the beach. It was very relaxing and for someone travelling on their own, I was able to find other solo travellers to speak with and even have lunch with. There is also a family of dogs that live at Amansala and they are so cute and fun to play with. TThey really loved to play with sticks and coconuts if you would throw them.

I would rate my experience as a very memorable one and I look forward to visiting Tulum, again next year.

One last recomendation is to explore the great restaurants on the beach. There are some lovely ones in walking distance from Amansala. I really liked Casa Jaguar....

Safe Travels.

Saludos

Room Tip: Garden rooms are good and charming but if you can book a sea room....I love the view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My fiance and I traveled to Mexico over winter break and planned to stay at Amansala for 5 nights before heading off to adventure. Our plans were foiled because we missed our flight and were unable to get to Amansala until the third night that we had reserved. We called them as soon as we missed our flight to see if we could recover at least some of our losses... they said there was a 24 hour in advance cancellation policy- OK- understandable... but I was disappointed to see when we arrived that the place was nowhere near capacity- it's not like they could have given the room to someone else, it just sat empty- along with several other rooms. Additionally, the room that we requested (a non-ocean view room) was 2 resorts down (don't think it's just one main building/resort, it's 3 different buildings that are all under construction being made into one cohesive resort) and we had to hear the sounds of jackhammers/saws/power drills from about 8 in the morning to sunset-- not that we were hanging out in our room all day- but when we stopped in between exploring/hanging out on the beach we couldn't just relax in our room or anything because of the noise and constant workers walking up and down past our door.

The room we were in was horrible- one window so no cross ventilation and no fan or breeze, luckily the owner moved us to a nicer room- lighter/brighter with a partial ocean view and a nice cross breeze. We stayed there two nights in the nicer room and I can say that THAT was wonderful, minus the construction noises during the day. Using the resorts facilities- the beds/hammocks on the beach, the yoga room with a view of the jungle on one side and the ocean on the other- was beautiful.

I did notice that the staff were all extremely caught up in their own tasks and not very friendly at all. In particular the brunette who sometimes wore glasses was NOT friendly, and that's putting it nicely. I nicely inquired about the yoga classes, and then she just told me how much they were and that *she* in FACT is a yoga teacher .... practice what you preach sweetheart :)

There was another instance where I needed to look up flight info on my phone using the wireless and she told me it was 5 dollars- the mean brunette was sitting at the front desk with the owner and they both kind of just looked at eachother like I was hugely inconveniencing them... after all the extra money we had paid for the upgrade to the room that we could actually sleep in (an extra 120), they wanted to negotiate over access to internet which SHOULD be included??? so then she very rudely told me the code really fast and then didn't repeat it- luckily I have good short term memory-- it's 1234567890. and the password to the CHICA resort is 2244668800.

The food is good and clean, but not very vegan friendly if you order from the menu and aren't on the bootcamp/retreat schedule and the prices are ridiculous- as much as you would pay for food in the US at a nice restaurant. not to mention..... yoga retreat?? yogic principle #1- ahimsa non-harming, applies to animals too and most yogis adopt a vegan/vegetarian diet because of this-- the service, food and accomodations were not reflective of this. A very cleverly constructed facade.

do yourself a favor and book at any other hotel on the coast BUT amansala... and eat at Posada Margherita.

AVOID this mean girl clique!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ashleys136
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Don't get me wrong, Amansala is magical. Beautiful. Serene. But the customer service is going to make this place FAIL. The wait staff were amazing. Yet the owner and other girls who worked at Amansala were rude and could care less about your stay or your experience. I recently stayed here for a yoga retreat and multiple things happened:
1. I was quoted a different price for the airport shuttle (more expensive) than I was quoted in an email by Amansala. They told me the person who wrote me didn't know what they were talking about. I was then told the more people in the shuttle, the cheaper it was. No true. I had 8 people in my shuttle and this resort is money hungry. I confronted the owner to her face WHY the price isn't any cheaper since there are more people in the shuttle. She had a very very hard time answering, flustered and in the end, told me that it was a business and that is how they run.
2. A friend of mine had a single room. She asked if she could move after 2 nights of no sleep as she was right above the 24 hour reception (walkie talkies, dogs barking). The owner told her that she didn't pay for an ocean front room so there is nothing they can do for her. NOTHING. Maybe a free drink? Maybe a free massage? NOTHING. And they didn't even care.
3. I booked a massage and when I arrived for my appointment, I was not on their book. They didn't even apologize for the inconveinence.
4. Once you pay a lot of money to stay here, they still charge you $7 per day for the Internet, granted, we should all disconnect while on vacation, but it would be nice to let my family know I made it safely or if travel plans changed.
5. These women knew NOTHING about local Tulum. Prior to staying here, I stayed at Cabanas My Tulum for $33 a night and the sweet local woman gave me free breakfast, free water, free Internet and knew all sorts of local historic knowledge. That is the real Tulum. These girls simply say around as if they worked in downtown Chicago.... Stressed and on a mission.

Seriously, don't waste your money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo