“Nice place with lousy service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amansala Eco Chic Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amansala Eco Chic Resort
Ranked #40 of 81 Tulum B&B and Inns
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Nice place with lousy service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have mixed feeling about Amansala.

The place is beautiful. The restaurant is really cosy and cute. The food/drinks is the best!!

The real drag though, is the service and management. I have the nagging feeling that the front desk tried hard to hold onto dollars and dispense pesos. The only motivation I can think of is the exchange rate (they exchange 10 to 1 instead of close to 13 to 1 in the real world). When the final bill came, it didn't have it itemized. I thought the email they sent me should have all the details of what I bought exactly but apparently not... just one final number!

It didn't help when they took my couch away without a notice when a large crowd of tourists came in. I only got a replacement back two days later and after repeatedly talking to the front desk person. I don't know if it was because I was one of the few men in the resort or some other reasons. Needless to say, I felt they could have done a better job catering to customers.

I could be one of these tourists keep coming back to this resort. But now, probably not. The good thing is... there are plenties of other choices in the area.

Cheers!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Hoboken_Traveller_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Lexington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is a wonderful property right on the beach run by lovely people. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

Lovely location, beautiful accommodations right on the beach (as long as you don't get a musty garden room), intimate size, hard-working staff, and delicious and appealing food. Perfect location for the yoga retreat I attended.

The only problem was the "management." After a luke-warm greeting at my arrival, I was had several other frustrating encounters with the management . When seeking advice about where to ride the bicycle (conveniently rentable at the resort), I was told, "there's only one direction to go... and don't go into town, there's nothing to see there." Thankfully, I ignored this advice, as the easy ride into town resulted in the authentic interaction I had with the Mexican culture and it was well worth it. And, I also found out I could make a loop to the Tulum ruins -- also just a few miles away and perfectly accessible by bike.

Funky departure as well -- misleading information about transportation and careless handling of my bill at checkout... left a bad taste in my mouth.

My experience was not unique. I spoke with several others at the retreat and heard similar stories. Thankfully, interactions with the "management" were minimal and the yoga retreat I attended was great -- in part due to the lovely accommodations at Amansala.

Room Tip: Avoid the garden rooms. Anything along the beach, 2nd floor would be great...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ChiTravelingChick
Parksville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

We loved everything about Amansala! After staying at a very bad place the first night we decided to cut our losses and find something better. We were greeted by the owner, Melissa who showed us around and got us set up in a very private second story beach front room which had everything we were hoping for for a great romantic get-away. The room was well designed with lots of space ad privacy; a great bathroom broken into separate areas for a large shower ( with amazing honey bodywash!), toilet room, and sink area. The comfortable king size bed had a mosquito net we never needed to use, and the breeze from the ocean and sound of the waves was a pleasure to experience at night. The beach is amazing and has those hanging beach beds and comfortable loungers for tanning during the day and star gazing at night. The food was excellent. I miss the "help yourself": fresh fruit and yogurt with granola and honey already. Also highly recommended are the mango margaritas, Amansala salad and guacamole. All the meals we had were flavorful and healthy. Many healthy activities are also offered by professionals; yoga, boot camp classes, spa services. The service was truly amazing. The staff had great communication skills and were attentive without being invasive. We were given great advice about activities, restaurants and made to feel like we truly belonged. Thanks again! We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Room 20 is very romantic and private!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Located on the most beautiful beach in Tulum, we luckily stumbled upon
Amansala during our honeymoon by accident after another reservation in
a nearby hotel got cancelled on us. Beautifully built, boutique hotel
with beach facing rooms designed and maintained with love. The hotel
facilities and rooms were designed with respect to natural
surroundings while providing the highest level of comfort you could
expect. The food was great, the beach towels soft, beach beds were the best we saw in Tulum. The beds in the rooms are amazing and come with a great mosquito nets even though no mosquitos were to be seen. Above all the staff was amazing doing everything they could to make our stay
there the best we had on our honeymoon. Showers are great with decent flow of hot water and locally produced shampoo, conditioner and soap that are uniquely great, giving the skin the soft feeling and aroma of honey. If you fancy exercising during your vacation this hotel offers the best facilities including an amazing Yoga deck facing the beach
and classes that are an absolute must to try with great instructors.
We used the bikes offered by the hotel several times and although
rusty (no metal can stay shinning here for long because of the salt)
we had loads of fun with them. Definitely good value for the money, we will definetly be back here again

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Shamambo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I went to the bootcamp in june and can't believe how fit and strong my body was when i got back .I enjoyed everything about my experience in this retreat. The beach was beautiful, the food good, the classes amazing and everyone there was so friendly . If you're looking for a healthy, fun vacation this is the place to go. I can't wait to go back !

Room Tip: Ocean View are my favorite rooms :)
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends